Topic: Big Willow Weekend, sup?

Curious who's going to be at Big Willow next month!   I'm assuming we'll have similar turnout as Buttonwillow (~150 cars) ?

I'll be there in our terminally boring Honda Accord. This is a great track for us super low-power 4 cylinder cars right?

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

Re: Big Willow Weekend, sup?

The Panting Polar Bears will be there with The Ugly Brown Camero   tongue

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Team Black Bird will be there with our sweet ass 1976 Camaro. This track is the closest to home for us. Hopefully all of you Nor Cal team will come down to our turf. I lost count of all the times we have traveled up thru the central valley to race in Nor Cal. Willow Springs is a really fun track and only 9 turn so it's not too hard to figure out. The track has been around since 1953 so it has a lot of history too.

Fjord vs Fiero will be there. I haven't run Big Willow since my bike racing days, so this should be fun.

Volvo PV544 (RIP) - now with Chevy 3.9 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

Damage Inc. will be there with our #33 dazzle-painted E36. We just need to get our engine back from the machine shop!

I'll also have your 205/50-15s for your street Scirocco.

We're in with a new car! Excited

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

HIO Silver wrote:

Damage Inc. will be there with our #33 dazzle-painted E36. We just need to get our engine back from the machine shop!

I'll also have your 205/50-15s for your street Scirocco.

Sweet thanks! Good luck with the engine, I just picked up a Z3 w an M52B28 to swap into my track E30

Fishah wrote:

We're in with a new car! Excited

Nice what car?

aventari wrote:

Nice what car?

One of the world's shittiest E36s

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

We're not in. Hope they do it again next year.

Was it rescheduled? I thought it was originally next weekend,

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:

Yes

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I'm pretty sure Team Safety Third will be there with the Kim Jong Elantra. Not sure if I'm driving or just going to crew. I have not raced at Big Willow since 2001. It was not good then. Big drop-offs at the edge of the pavement, not that I put any wheels off... Any word on the track condition?

--bb

Type44 wrote:

We're not in. Hope they do it again next year.

Lemons was kind enough to swap dates with VARA so VARA could do Willow and Pahrump (yay!) this year.

billy bee wrote:

I'm pretty sure Team Safety Third will be there with the Kim Jong Elantra. Not sure if I'm driving or just going to crew. I have not raced at Big Willow since 2001. It was not good then. Big drop-offs at the edge of the pavement, not that I put any wheels off... Any word on the track condition?

--bb

We run it a couple times a year.
The edges aren't bad, though it is a track where I'd avoid going two off to make a pass.

The Homer is in. Will be nice to have a relatively short drive to the track!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

That said, Lemons HQ did announce some last minute spots which tells me there's no wait list, so I'd expect the turnout to be less than Buttonwillow.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Tired Iron Racing will be there / going for our 41st loss!

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

LTDScott wrote:

The Homer is in. Will be nice to have a relatively short drive to the track!

My favorite car in all of Lemons history

Diesel 924 is in.

That guy

We'll be driving the the blue #5 MINI Cooper from the Bay Area for the race, but we're also planning for the possibility that this race will get cancelled.

gus wrote:

We'll be driving the the blue #5 MINI Cooper from the Bay Area for the race, but we're also planning for the possibility that this race will get cancelled.

Didn't you get the memo...?

Hey Lemons Racers:

Like everyone else, we don't know yet how COVID-19 will affect things. We are not in constant communication with the CDC and the World Health Organization (sorry), but we are trying to get all the good info we can in real time. When we know something useful, you'll know it too.

Despite outward appearances, Lemons really doesn't want you to die. Right now we don't think COVID-19 makes outdoor races and rallies noticeably riskier, and we aren't expecting to cancel or shift any weekends. If that ever changes, however, captains will be able to choose whether to move their team's fees or just have them refunded.

Our goal is to do the right thing with as much warning as possible--again, despite outward appearances. When there's info worth sharing, I'll hit you again.

Thanks & best JL

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

20 (edited by gus 2020-03-11 05:16 PM)

BigBird wrote:
gus wrote:

Didn't you get the memo...?

I did get the memo like everyone else, which read like they were just paving the way and setting expectations for a potential cancellation. We'll see what happens.

gus wrote:

I did get the memo like everyone else, which read like they were just paving the way and setting expectations for a potential cancellation. We'll see what happens.

This.

The obvious logic is, generally, standing outside around a racetrack ain't gonna get many people sick. And you don't gotta come if you don't want to.

.... but at the same time, I'm sure they're starting to take into account the second-order effects of hosting a large gathering where they know a lot of us idiots are gonna be 7 to a $50 motel room, licking each other's bite valves (if you know what I mean), traveling from a great distance away, and generally exercising poor judgement and hygiene, per usual.

See you idiots there, maybe!

While we are at the track, the highest risk areas are the driver's meeting, awards ceremony, and signing it at the gate (bring your own pen!)

But for the employees of Lemons-- the risk for them is the air travel, the (shared) hotel, and having to eat out.

I wonder where is more likely for me to get sick from someone:

1) At a Lemons race, mostly hanging out with approx. 10 close friends, outside in the fresh air/toxic fumes and exhaust, with everyone's hands covered in toxic chemicals, fuel, oil, etc. that would kill any virus, bacteria better than any hand sanitizer, and imbibing in alcoholic beverages that have a higher alcoholic content than any Purell hand sanitizer, sitting in a race car alone for hours, and eating fantastic home made food
or
2) Cancelling my racing plans, and going to work in a building with recirculated air, sitting with dozens of people in a stuffy meetings, with people pawing the bagels, shaking hands with various strangers, doorknobs everywhere, sitting in a stuffy office with people passing through all the time, eating cafeteria food brought out from some dark, unknown kitchen, etc.

Screw it....Race to Live, I say....

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

MZAVARIN wrote:

I wonder where is more likely for me to get sick from someone(...)

That depends a lot on your local and personal situation really. For my team we’re all working from home because our offices have been closed, so for us your first option is the one with more contact.

If the a team, the track or even the organizers takes a long look at the situation and makes the call, then so be it.

But I swear, if some smug little "take-names-during-naptime-for-the-teacher" clown emails any state or federal agency to ask them if this race should go, I will lose my mind.

Guy-who-always-has-two-questions-at-the-end-drivers meeting, I'm looking at you. In fact if you have ever asked a question at a drivers meeting and heard a collective "Ugh." from the crowd even though you 'knew' it was really important, you're the biggest threat. So stop it.

The people most qualified to make the decisions about this event are in charge of making those decisions. You don't agree with it, stay home.

But a state or federal agency impacting my life based on hysteria for something that is not on their radar right now because of a Dr Sheldon Cooper want to be tattle tale, that ain't cool.

Keep your word hole and by extension keyboard shut and fight for single layer TP with all of the other germaphobes, over-reactors and preppers.

Most of us need this.

The Other Idiot of Effluencecy