Topic: Insurance/Liability

Hey everyone. New to Lemons, finally got a team to commit to putting a car together and cannot be more excited about it! We purchased a 2001 Mazda B-2500 (Ford Ranger) and our plan for the theme is the "B-25 Bomber", painted like an old WWII war bird. We have a good mix of skill sets on the team so it looks like we'll be able to handle all the modification/fabrication on our own.

The only lingering question comes down to liability. We've purchased the truck, but we haven't registered it yet because we're not sure about the liability side of things when it comes to who owns the vehicle. I know the waiver we sign releases the track and Lemons from liability but does it release the owner of the car as well? We're all life-long friends and relatives on the team but we're worried if someone get's hurt their insurance company will try to find someone to offset any expenses of medical bills etc.

Is this something we should be worried about or are we protected under the waiver we sign for Lemons?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. This is something we've dreamed about doing for many years now and cannot wait to make it happen!!

Re: Insurance/Liability

For questions like this SEARCH is your friend.
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=37986
I turned this up for you.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

3 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-02-28 06:03 PM)

Most Insurance companies consider stuff on track to be null and void. If you somehow flew OFF the track, into the road and hit a normal car on the street, things would get complicated. Probably falling on track or event liability.

On the track, Car insurance doesn't exist. Life Insurance would probably ignore a claim unless you were paying a fortune for insurance that specifically allows motorsports. And event insurance is for them not you.

If you drive the car on the street, definitely decide who "owns" it, even if it's an LLC. And definitely get state required Liability.

On the track, you did sign wavers that said you knew you shouldn't be doing this if you value your health and safety, so really those could be pulled if someone's life insurance wanted to subrogate. And most likely the insurance would try to subrogate Lemons or the track first because they presumably have more money (probably not).

Your only real liability would be actual Criminal Negligence, so.....don't do that.

And again just to be clear.

THERE IS NO INSURANCE ON THE TRACK

They get hurt, it's between them and their Health Insurer. There's no collision or bodily injury. The track is technically and literally not "the road".(except some weird BS in New Jersey where you can get a reckless driving ticket because Jersey)

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Good to hear! Thanks for the feedback Guildenstern!

Hagerty is offering race car insurance.  https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/motorsports-insurance
Have a pretty good idea they didnt have us in mind though...

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

You'll note those are all off track and HPDE/Non Competitive coverage. The Paddock and trailer insurance is a bit interesting because I bust a car I go make another car, I have all the tools I used to make the car stolen in a hotel parking lot, I can't make another car for a LOOONG time.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

(except some weird BS in New Jersey where you can get a reckless driving ticket because Jersey)

What is this?  Jersey resident here but I've never heard of this.  Reckless driving while on track?

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

meyers0150 wrote:

What is this?  Jersey resident here but I've never heard of this.  Reckless driving while on track?

I forget the finer details, but the first year we ran at NJMP (2011?) there was a NJ State Trooper in the tower ordering black flags to cars if he didn’t like how they were being driven. I don’t remember if he wrote any citations, but the moral of the story was you can be written for on-track incidents in NJ. Much the same reason as Lemons harness rule is different there than any other track in the country.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

meyers0150 wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

(except some weird BS in New Jersey where you can get a reckless driving ticket because Jersey)

Racing in NJ is run by and has links to the State Police. It is utterly stupid and completely insane. It wouldn't surprise me if they did something insane like this.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Proximity, or complete lack thereof, is only the second ranked reason I will never race in NJ. Absolutely ridiculous... there are enough “Gotcha!” Moments in life without running afoul of the trooper in the tower. Fuggedaboutit!

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

gtopat wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

I forget the finer details, but the first year we ran at NJMP (2011?) there was a NJ State Trooper in the tower ordering black flags to cars if he didn’t like how they were being driven. I don’t remember if he wrote any citations, but the moral of the story was you can be written for on-track incidents in NJ. Much the same reason as Lemons harness rule is different there than any other track in the country.

how did I not know this?  This is why I drive a racecar, the crap you do on a racetrack is generally frowned upon on the highway.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

gtopat wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

To date, this only happened once in the first year at NJMP.

However, my understanding is that there has often been NJ State Troopers in the paddock double-checking harness dates and/or making sure the gas pump is attended.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
gtopat wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

To date, this only happened once in the first year at NJMP.

However, my understanding is that there has often been NJ State Troopers in the paddock double-checking harness dates and/or making sure the gas pump is attended.

Yes....The all important "only a trained pump operator (that doesn't speak english)shall dispense the dinosaur juice" rules

MBTL Racing