Topic: Title Question

So, I think I've got a line on a cheap car but the title was set for destruction by ins company. Can this car be used?

Re: Title Question

FloppyJunk wrote:

So, I think I've got a line on a cheap car but the title was set for destruction by ins company. Can this car be used?

I've never been asked to see a title for a car.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

3 (edited by FloppyJunk 2020-03-18 10:31 AM)

Yeah. I'm only concerned because I read somewhere that it needed to be roadworthy. Technically, you need to have a clean title to drive on the road? I'm not sure how in depth this all means to get.

Thank you for your response.

Aaron

4 (edited by chaase 2020-03-18 10:38 AM)

FloppyJunk wrote:

Yeah. I'm only concerned because I read somewhere that it needed to be roadworthy. Technically, you need to have a clean title to drive on the road? I'm not sure how in depth this all means to get.

Thank you for your response.

Aaron

You can't drive on the road without blinkers but most cars on the track don't have them 8-)

If you are concerned send pictures to John Pagel as it is his call but unless the car is about to fall apart from rust or the crash structure is compromised, it shouldn't matter.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

FloppyJunk wrote:

...I read somewhere that it needed to be roadworthy.

Nope, not at all true. One potential source of confusion is that Rule 2.1 does state that eligible vehicles must have been "legal for US highway use at the time of their manufacture" but there's no requirement that they be kept in road-legal condition for the race. Other parts of the rules limit what can be changed in terms of the crash structure, hood, and so forth, but that's about safety, not roadworthiness.

One advantage to having a title (and bringing it along to the race) is that getting rid of a hopelessly dead car is usually easier with paperwork. Without a title, convincing the local junkyard to take it off your hands can be difficult, so you may be stuck hauling it home even if you don't necessarily want to, such as after major damage. Fortunately major damage is rare, but it does happen.

Other than that, keeping it roadworthy, licensed, and titled is mostly a question of whether you plan to road-test it, or drive it to and from the race, or flat-tow it to and from the race, or keep it parked on the street between races, and so forth. This is often convenient, but again not a requirement.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Thank you very much! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. It is titled for destruction so having that handy will be good for selling it to a fellow racer or crushing it eventually. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Aaron

chaase wrote:

You can't drive on the road without blinkers but most cars on the track don't have them 8-)

You people in states with safety inspections...whatever.  For those of us in the lawless majority, we can.  Hand signals are totally legal in my state.  Add to that one of our cars was not originally equiped with directional indicators and I now feel morally superior.

OnkelUdo wrote:
chaase wrote:

You people in states with safety inspections...whatever.  For those of us in the lawless majority, we can.  Hand signals are totally legal in my state.  Add to that one of our cars was not originally equiped with directional indicators and I now feel morally superior.

The Kommunist Republik of New York requires a yearly tribute!

Many, many Lemons cars are purchased with just a bill of sale.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon