Topic: Location of 2nd Halon handle

Most Halon kits come with 2 pull handles.  Besides from of course mounting one within drivers reach where are folks mounting a 2nd handle?  Or are most people leaving it as a driver only option and keeping the extra handle as a spare?

Multiple Entries - Best Finish CMP Fall 2017 - 9th Overall - 1993 BMW 325
Lemons cars: 1983 VW Rabbit, 1993 BMW 325, 1988 BMW 325e

2 (edited by Type44 2020-04-06 04:19 PM)

Re: Location of 2nd Halon handle

Our non-Halon fire setup got 1 handle mounted to the a pillar cage bar within easy driver reach, and a second one on the back stay where it was clearly marked and easy for a corner worker to pull in case of an incident- just inside the rear side window. I figured that you wouldn't want it protruding from a fender- what about a mild case of contact hat results in your suppression being emptied at speed?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

The system we installed last year only had a single pull.  The rules don't say anything about two pulls.  Has anyone been flagged at a race for a single pull at the driver?  This probably doesn't matter for us as we probably won't get to race untill it's date comes up now.  That was a really expensive cost for a single race.  Same with the belts I bought this spring before shit hit the fan.  Only going to get one season out of those now.

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

Huskar wrote:

The system we installed last year only had a single pull.  The rules don't say anything about two pulls.  Has anyone been flagged at a race for a single pull at the driver?  This probably doesn't matter for us as we probably won't get to race untill it's date comes up now.  That was a really expensive cost for a single race.  Same with the belts I bought this spring before shit hit the fan.  Only going to get one season out of those now.

Is it an FIA or SFI system per the rules?  If so, you are good.

i am using specific words here as Halon is not an approved system.

The rules are neither lengthy, nor complex and in this case, it is simply "install per manufactures specs".

We only have one handle.

OnkelUdo wrote:

i am using specific words here as Halon is not an approved system.

True. Even if JimHugger has an older Halon system, the current FIA and SFI standards both prohibit its use, so it won't work for Lemons. On the bright side, Halon is still worth money to the companies that collect and recycle it for aviation systems, inasmuch as Halon hasn't been manufactured in over 25 years.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Thanks for the input. Note I used halon as a generic albeit older term for a fire suppression system.  I’ll be using one of the fire suppression systems sold by the Lemons store.

Both of our handles are in easy reach of the driver.  One on either side of the steering wheel, but the one to the right is way to the right.

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

My kit came with two handles, I installed only one in reach of the driver in the middle of the dash.  I have passed tech with that system many times. 

If I were to put another handle in, I would put it somewhere a safety worker could easily pull, but not be engaged by a collision with another car/wall.  You could hang off the roll cage bar on the driver side a-pillar or just behind the seat.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

We have our second handle right behind the driver's door, out of the way for most crashes.  Easily visible and usable for safety crew, or by the driver if they are able to get out first and avoid a face full of extinguisher.  That would be ideal in the case of an engine bay fire that hasn't entered the driver's area yet.

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

egesledder wrote:

We have our second handle right behind the driver's door, out of the way for most crashes.  Easily visible and usable for safety crew, or by the driver if they are able to get out first and avoid a face full of extinguisher.  That would be ideal in the case of an engine bay fire that hasn't entered the driver's area yet.

This.

We have our 2nd fire pull mounted to the (interior) body behind the driver and B-pillar, recessed to protect it from impact (and car covers). We also have second, well marked, electrical cutoff in the same area so emergency personnel only need to go to one spot to save our butts.

Scout wrote:
egesledder wrote:

This.

We have our 2nd fire pull mounted to the (interior) body behind the driver and B-pillar, recessed to protect it from impact (and car covers). We also have second, well marked, electrical cutoff in the same area so emergency personnel only need to go to one spot to save our butts.

Nice. Picture?

OnkelUdo wrote:

We only have one handle.

Hate to correct you boss, but since I did the install for all of our cars, i can assure you that they all had 2 handles.  One was mounted near the driver.  Other was mounted on the passenger side within easy reach through the window by safety workers.

13 (edited by OnkelUdo 2020-04-11 01:23 PM)

rlchv70 wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

We only have one handle.

Hate to correct you boss, but since I did the install for all of our cars, i can assure you that they all had 2 handles.  One was mounted near the driver.  Other was mounted on the passenger side within easy reach through the window by safety workers.

There is a reason I am the chief cat-herder and not the chief technical officer...never noticed.

Our second handle is on the C pillar.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p720x720/56158032_1408599919281901_6061976223792234496_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=XfNLBh2WTQYAX95v3hS&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=c03036a2d3dba2180a8eb15e59a61b1e&oe=5EB5D946

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Great layout!  Very clean and clearly marked.