1 (edited by darkostoj 2020-04-21 05:45 PM)

Topic: Can someone help explain the mechanics of proper flywheel weight

Hey guys!

I'm working on something a little weird...

I see many aftermarket companies are making lightweight flywheels.  Why?

Here are the questions I can think of to get a discussion going.

1. How do we mathematically figure out the perfect flywheel weight?

2. What is the advantage of having a light or heavy flywheel?

3. What happens when you go too light or too heavy?

4. Do we apply the same principals from a traditional manual transmission to a new style dual clutch transmission?

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

2 (edited by DirtyDuc 2020-04-22 12:09 PM)

Re: Can someone help explain the mechanics of proper flywheel weight

That guy

3 (edited by chaase 2020-04-21 06:45 PM)

1. How do we mathematically figure out the perfect flywheel weight?
     I haven't done the math but the flywheels are part  of the rotating mass of the engine and more weight = bad. Rotating mass is much more detrimental to HP.

2. What is the advantage of having a light or heavy flywheel?

Flywheel weight robs horsepower from the engine. The heavier the flywheel the more HP lost.  In general, drag racers prefer a heavier flywheel because it helps maintain the momentum of the engine between shifts even though it takes a more HP to spin it. Road racing favors lighter flywheel because the engine gets into the power band faster, more HP and easier to decelerate the engine for cornering.

3.  What happens when you go too light or too heavy?
   Too heavy and you rob lots of HP from the engine, too light and it is hard to modulate speed at lower RPM.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Here is a little reading.
https://www.w8ji.com/rotating_mass_acceleration.htm

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I’m pretty dumb (my wife says I’m ugly dumb), but it would surprise me if a light fly wheel was helpful for what we do. Here’s my poorly thought out ramblings with no tangible evidence or math to support. Consider this opinion, not fact:

It takes a bunch of power to accelerate a FW from 600-6000 RPM in say 2 seconds, like when gunning the throttle in first gear. The acceleration of the FW would require a big power investment relative to total output. Spinning up same FW from 3500-5500 in third gear over say 10 seconds represents a much less significant investment considering the rate of acceleration and total output.  Flywheel weight would be a big deal if we raced around a tight track from hairpin to hairpin with speeds ranging from 0-20mph, but reality is we are on tracks with speeds ranging from 25-90, usually in 3rd and 4th gears where RPM increase is slow because of drag and increasing ratios as we shift through gears.

In summary: flywheel weight matters if you accelerate from 0-10mph, doesn’t really matter when you are accelerating from 50-60, and even less so from 90-100.

I’m happy to be schooled.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

chaase wrote:

Here is a little reading.
https://www.w8ji.com/rotating_mass_acceleration.htm

Excellent discussion ^^  Thanks for the link.

Can't modified flywheels explode sending high speed shrapnel through firewalls, floorboards, etc. right about where your feet or legs are? 

Trick question, yes they can.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

The things you notice with a lighter flywheel: Engine rpms increase more quickly when blipping the throttle between downshifts (or when revving it in the driveway for the neighbors), and engine rpms decrease more quickly when you let off the throttle between upshifts.  So if you spend a lot of time rowing through 1-2-3 gears and you tend to shift quickly, a lighter flywheel can help you achieve smoother shifts by matching revs in less time.
The other thing you notice is what everyone else said.  Easier to accidentally kill the engine creeping in low gear.

I’ve experienced really light flywheels as being about impossible to drive slowly (endemic stalling trying to drive onto an alignment rack) and I suspect that zakP is right; there’s not a lot of difference to be felt when you’re winding 60 mph in 3rd. Probably there are better places to spend money on your Lemons car.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

rb92673 wrote:

Can't modified flywheels explode sending high speed shrapnel through firewalls, floorboards, etc. right about where your feet or legs are? 

Drilling holes is a stock flywheel is definitely discouraged.
Good aftermarket flywheels, lightened or not, are SFI-rated for burst resistance.

One thing that can happen with a light flywheel is CEL/MIL
illumination due to the easier crank speed variation from less rotation mass.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

DelinquentRacer wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

Drilling holes is a stock flywheel is definitely discouraged.
Good aftermarket flywheels, lightened or not, are SFI-rated for burst resistance.

One thing that can happen with a light flywheel is CEL/MIL
illumination due to the easier crank speed variation from less rotation mass.

I didn't mean to imply that all lightweight flywheels will explode, but I have seen evidence of stock flywheels that were lightened come apart, especially with an increase in power and RPM in Volvos.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Hmm....

Cliff notes rom what I can see.

As light as possible until the car takes off worse than desired driveability

Only personal anecdote I can offer is I was using an aftermarket race only "ultralight" flywheel in a 4 cyl inline engine and the design was rumored to be too light and gave off weird harmonics as it no longer dampened crank pulsing. Supposedly the crank would whip against itself. Granted, this is on only a 3-bearing main setup. And yes, I used 2 different crank dampers with that flywheel.

It wasn't until after I broke my 3rd crank in the same block (same rods same pistons, too, with 1 re-ring) that I finally swapped out the flywheel.  That engine lasted 3 more years before the piston ring lands got too worn out.

Spank wrote:

Only personal anecdote I can offer is I was using an aftermarket race only "ultralight" flywheel in a 4 cyl inline engine and the design was rumored to be too light and gave off weird harmonics as it no longer dampened crank pulsing. Supposedly the crank would whip against itself. Granted, this is on only a 3-bearing main setup. And yes, I used 2 different crank dampers with that flywheel.

It wasn't until after I broke my 3rd crank in the same block (same rods same pistons, too, with 1 re-ring) that I finally swapped out the flywheel.  That engine lasted 3 more years before the piston ring lands got too worn out.

So then I guess the next question is how do we know if the flywheel has enough weight to dampen crankshaft pulse...

Buy from a reputable Manufacturer who won't build an engine killing flywheel just to have the lowest number.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

Buy from a reputable Manufacturer who won't build an engine killing flywheel just to have the lowest number.

Back to - "I'm working on something a little weird..."

By the time you have a flexplate with a ring gear on it to start the thing, the splined hub to match up to your DCT, and whatever parts you use to connect those it will probably be heavy enough.

https://supermiata.com/miata-twin-disc-clutch.aspx

That's 15 pounds total. Probably about as light as you can get with a conventional setup. The designer says the following comparing the light one to the heavy one:

"Simple choice between the two. The Street flywheel is still fast revving, holds torque, is quieter than the Race and very driveable on the street. The Race flywheel sucks everywhere, makes your drivetrain sound broken except exiting pit lane, revs like a superbike and is godlike on track."

Shoot for 15 pounds and let us know how it goes smile

18 (edited by darkostoj 2020-04-25 08:38 AM)

MDG wrote:

By the time you have a flexplate with a ring gear on it to start the thing, the splined hub to match up to your DCT, and whatever parts you use to connect those it will probably be heavy enough.

https://supermiata.com/miata-twin-disc-clutch.aspx

That's 15 pounds total. Probably about as light as you can get with a conventional setup. The designer says the following comparing the light one to the heavy one:

"Simple choice between the two. The Street flywheel is still fast revving, holds torque, is quieter than the Race and very driveable on the street. The Race flywheel sucks everywhere, makes your drivetrain sound broken except exiting pit lane, revs like a superbike and is godlike on track."

Shoot for 15 pounds and let us know how it goes smile

Hmmmm.  DCT? That's a fine guess sir...

darkostoj wrote:

So then I guess the next question is how do we know if the flywheel has enough weight to dampen crankshaft pulse...

It isn't that the flywheel dampens the crankshaft vibrations, it is that the additional mass shifts the natural frequency of the rotating assembly.  (Except for dual-mass flywheels, those are actually harmonic dampers too.)

So if you go too light and shift the frequencies up too far then the harmonic damper (if there is one) may no longer be tuned properly and you can get bad things happening to the crank.

In less impractical terms you've got no way of knowing how light is too light.  Every engine design is different.  For example, some four-cylinders live just fine without their OEM harmonic dampers, others eat oil pump drives, others will break cranks.  And there will generally be a "problem" RPM range, too, so the use to which you are putting the engine will factor in.

So there's some not-very-useful information that totally fails to answer your original question but might be vaguely interesting to someone.  That sort of thing is kind of my specialty.

^ This should be a consideration particularly in crankshafts that are known to flex.  Complicating matters is engine harmonics at different power/RPM levels.  I know we had problems with blocks splitting in half on race motors once we crossed the 900hp/9000ish RPM threshold (non-LeMons).  Also had issues with 4cyl engines breaking valve trains that was solved by changing lower end weight.. It was due to harmonics.  I'm not sure going to a lighter flywheel in the V10 Rolls is buying you much.  In short, the question is too general for a non-specific application and probably requires an automotive engineer to properly answer (of which I am most definitely not, just the slob that had to change very hot blown up engines)

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

NOT true that a flywheel doesn't dampen vibrations or provide some sort of external balance. some flywheels are dual-mass stock (Audi UrS4) specifically to address NVH issues.

that being said, switching to a single mass flywheel in most of these applications seems to not have any adverse affect (other than increased NVH).

in my experience with lightweight flywheels, they allow the engine to spin up slightly quicker (and down slightly quicker). in a road racing application, I think this will be most noticed in rev drop or rev hang between shifts (and have negligible affect on overall acceleration).

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

22 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-04-25 05:34 PM)

This web page has a lot of information, and, links to more resources:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/en … -harshness

... much of which is similar to the above

All this is way beyond my expert-ease....
But a friend helped me rebuild my windowed engine on 1987 Honda Prelude a few years back
I was looking for an aftermarket lightweight flywheel, just cuz, well, seemed like thats what all the fast cars, big boys use....
But none were available....
So someone suggested just cutting the flywheel down...
I got a shop to take off , maybe 25%....I don't remember exactly....
But I love the feel of the clutch right now...
Not too light, not too heavy.
Seems to me there is some benefit of investing some energy into spinning the flywheel when driving/racing and shifting
Since some of that energy would then be used in pushing the car forward once the clutch is engaged...
But I was never really good at physics....
Anyways, I just bought a 2002 toy Miata (new engine, lowered, coil overs, etc.), and it has a light weight flywheel...for my wife, of course...
And I don't really like the flywheel/clutch feel...I feel like I'm just learning to drive a manual transmission
Embarrassing trying to start going uphill on slick,wet, surface from a red light...driving around town...

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Might be some more aluminum here than I would propose but a starting point.

https://www.miataturbo.net/suspension-b … wap-99647/

And FYI, I'm not a homophobe, anti-semite, or any of the other things people on that forum might be, but I read some and occasionally benefit. I don't post obviously because they're jerks.

From my personal experience it's very hard to go "too light". Unless you suck at clutch modulation or have some kind of crazy unsprung hub setup.

I've had lightened stock flywheels and very light aluminum flywheels in all of my track cars and fun street cars and there is almost no downsides. I have always perfectly balanced motors that I build or well balanced stock ones so maybe that factors into it.

It's always a lot easier to give specifics. What car/motor are we talking about?

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain