Topic: Why only 50 cars at Laissez les Crapheaps Roulez?

Looking back at Judge Jonny's list of the 50 Cars of Lemons NOLA, it occurred to one of my teammates this morning that the entry list was about half the size of most of the recent races. Why were there so few (comparatively) cars at Laissez les Crapheaps Roulez? Were there fewer entries? Or was it a really short course? Or because it was the first time at a new track? Just wondering.

Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Re: Why only 50 cars at Laissez les Crapheaps Roulez?

I believe the smaller number made this race 10x better.  Less fun in the penalty area i suppose, but MUCH better racing overall compared to the 96 cars we had in Houston at MSR.  Now, take those 96 cars at MSR and give us the full track.  That straight needs some attention, but man that would spread it out so much more

Serious Business Motorsports
'84 BMW 325e. 
Official...ish BP Raceteam of the North Dallas Hooptie.

The first go at Thunderhill was about 65 cars, I think its as much a matter of spec-ing the track as anything else. Plus, would you want to let the track owners KNOW what a REAL Lemons race is like? Better to ease them into it.

Of course, that said- Fernley was a full court press, and was one of the most fun races so far.

Volvo PV544 (RIP) - now with Chevy 3.9 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

Of course 50 cars at a race seems good, unless you are the 51st team trying to get in.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Oh ya.......use the straights and put chicaines down each of them smile

SWEEEEEEEEETTT!!!  MSRH would be great with the whole track smile

bimmerd00d wrote:

I believe the smaller number made this race 10x better.  Less fun in the penalty area i suppose, but MUCH better racing overall compared to the 96 cars we had in Houston at MSR.  Now, take those 96 cars at MSR and give us the full track.  That straight needs some attention, but man that would spread it out so much more

David Hedderick
Houston, TX
1986 325ese Shitbox Lemons car (sold...blowed up)
1990 miata drift car...like the BMW only slower and with a twisted chassis :\

i vote full track at MSR in October, please!

It's a Miata, get him........

BoB wrote:

Of course 50 cars at a race seems good, unless you are the 51st team trying to get in.

I dont think it was cut off by any means. I wouldn;t think that running 50 cars 5 hours from a race when nearly a hundred came to would make sence. It is a pretty good haul from areas like dallas and austin, and that may be why Houston is so popular. We got home at 3am this morning. Work sucked.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I personally love NPR, but it is my home track. 3 good straights for passing and long enough to make a difference. I am VERY happy there was no chicane on the straight as turn 1 usually separates the men from the boys.  I wanted more traffic too as this was a nice exercise in dealing with traffic that I don't get that often in typical competition.

IT WAS AN AWESOME EXPERIENCE I WILL BE DOING IT AGAIN.

Patrick

9 (edited by Troy 2009-06-08 09:07 PM)

Mulry,

Typically new tracks have a lower turn out. 

The first Houston race was around 70 cars and a lot died early.

We ran the full course at NPR of like 1.8 miles with about 50 cars to start.

The paddock area was way nice then MSR.  Road racing during the day with dag racing and partying at night.  Anyone who decided against comming made the wrong choice.

It was a great event!

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Thanks Troy. We were otherwise conflicted this weekend but will definitely put it on the to-do list for 2010.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We thought about making the trip but already had plans for those dates. New track, Humidity and mosquitos was probably a few more reasons for low turn out.

1980 Chevy Malibu Classic

humidity wasn't bad... but the mosquitos sure did me in...

E30's should all go up in flames...

Yeah they will get you for sure since this track is basically in the swamp.

Our recommendation was that they come back in the colder months next time. Our typical race season is from October to April and we take the summers off because of the heat. I really loved this event...we lucked out with the breezy weather at least (trust me it's a lot hotter today).

Sure did have fun. Houston is going on the calendar.

Patrick

No wonder teams got in with NO theme...  http://www.carfreeks.net/images/smilies/msmack.gif

on a serious note:

The rules don't say anything about a "theme". On the contrary, they do say to remove ANY unnecessary items from inside the car (plastic, interior, etc) that could fly around or burn in the event of a wreck or fire. Yet I see mannequins, giant wooden pieces that are sheet-metal screwed to cars, etc...not what I would expect to be considered "safe" for high-speed driving on a racetrack. But whatever, it's Lemons.

Street sign for wing - now that's creative and on a budget.

Patrick

harrisracing wrote:

on a serious note:

The rules don't say anything about a "theme". On the contrary, they do say to remove ANY unnecessary items from inside the car (plastic, interior, etc) that could fly around or burn in the event of a wreck or fire. Yet I see mannequins, giant wooden pieces that are sheet-metal screwed to cars, etc...not what I would expect to be considered "safe" for high-speed driving on a racetrack. But whatever, it's Lemons.

Street sign for wing - now that's creative and on a budget.

Patrick

LOL, we got black flagged on at the finish because our pink felt flapping looked like flames to someone. After we jacked the car up to take a peek under it and found no fluid, no wierd smells, and with the lack of smoke all together, the guy came over and argued with me about it.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

17 (edited by Judge Jonny 2009-06-09 06:20 PM)

Here's the semi-drunken, 11:30 pm explanation I probably misheard: When we go to a track/area for the first time, we try to have fewer cars than normal (normal being about 100).

70 cars signed up for New Orleans, but do to the Great Depression 2.0, about 20 teams had to back to back out. It happens.

I would guess (again -- GUESS) that if we go back to NPR, we'll have around 100 cars.

Edit: Reno had over a 100 cars, cause that part of the country is hella veteran at this point.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

Edit: Reno had over a 100 cars, cause that part of the country is hella veteran at this point.

Us on the West Coast were ITCHING to add another race... so Reno was close enough to add a 3rd race to our 2009 series