1 (edited by bspeed 2020-05-01 09:58 AM)

Topic: 295+ wide 200TW tire options.....who has used what?

It’s 2020 and I don’t see any “recent” discussions on wide 200TW tires for endurance racing anywhere.  There seem to be a lot of options these days.  We have successfully used the Hankook Ventus RS4’s in a 225 and 235 size on our Miata for several years.  They seem to last forever, and are extremely consistent.  In fact, we plan to use the same set on our 3rd race this summer!  That said maybe they last too long?  Is there something that will last just one race, maybe two….and have higher grip?

We are in the long beginning process of putting together a 3rd gen Camaro for a race in the future, TBD.  The Camaro will be far heavier than the Miata and it might, hopefully have more power.  Given the reliability issues associated with Camaro’s and Chevy v8’s it might be likely it doesn’t go the whole race.

We are looking at 18” or 19” wheels with as wide a rubber as we can fit under the car.  Given we won’t have a ton of brakes or power, we want to carry as much speed as possible through the corners by getting the car insanely low to the ground.  Think bump stop suspension.

Others have demonstrated that you can fit 11” wheels and 315+ width tires under these cars if you have a BFH, plasma torch, sawsall, or cut off wheel.  We fortunately have all of those at our disposal.  It is a junker so we are not afraid to selectively modify or remove body work!

So, from what I see out there here are some of the options:

Falken Azenis RT615
Sizes:295/40/18 and 315/30/18
Comments:  I have seen these on cars but never experienced them.  Seem to be a popular choice.

Yokohama Neova AD08R
Sizes: 305/30/19
Comments: Haven’t seen these used.

Yokohama A052
Sizes: 315/30/18

Hankook Ventus RS4
Comments:  Currently used on our other car.  Known quantity.  Last forever, kind of heavy. 

BFG Rival S1.5
Sizes: 315/30/18, 335/30/18, and 305/30/19
Comments:  I am not sure these will last a whole race?  Are these more of an Autox tire?

Bridgestone RE71R
Comments:  I have seen these on cars but never experienced them.  Supposed to be good?

Kumho Ecsta V720

Kumho Ecsta V720 ACR
Sizes: 295/25/19, 355/30/19
Comments:  These are the standard Viper ACR tires, which are supposed to be insanely awesome.  We could try the 295 tire on all four corners, though the diameter is very small at 24.9” but that would help with getting the car as low as possible.  Not sure if these would last a whole race?

So, what are the opinions on what the best tire is for a heavy car with, by Lemons ultra low standards, a lot of power.  Is it worth straying away from the Hankook RS4?  Is there a new hot option out there I missed?  The 305/19 size seems to have the most options out there, but ebay 18” wheels are more readily available. 

Ugh….so many things to ponder when you are quarantined!!

Re: 295+ wide 200TW tire options.....who has used what?

RS4 very hard to beat for longevity without giving up too much pace. RE71R basically convey superpowers to the driver, but on a heavy car (unless very gentle and smooth drivers), don't plan on getting a weekend out of them. 615s are about same pace as RS4, but wear way faster. It is Lemons... there are much cheaper options...

The acrs that run at my home track eat those kumhos up in one day. The track is pretty bad on tires but earlier vipers running Toyo r888 typically last 5 days for comparison.

Bought a set of A052's.  We'll see how they work...

I'd suggest the Goodyear Supercar 3 for wide sizes as well. It's on pace with the RE71R, Rival, and A052 with better wear performance.

#330 Rubber City Racing
#688 SHOuth of the Border