Topic: How far can you take crappy car

So we purchased a well known car that has been notoriously unreliable. I believe when we pulled up to our first tech with it they said "you guys bought this piece of shit?"

We've made the car reliable and continue to tinker on it. I want to know how far we can go before they start really looking hard at the things we are doing? Coilovers they didn't even balk at last time.

I would think a new high powered motor would get us scrutinized obviously, but what else might be overlooked given our cars reputation?

Re: How far can you take crappy car

From what I've seen, do whatever you want.  They may give penalty laps, but if you're not in the running for a win then it doesn't matter anyway.  If you continue to suck after the upgrades, you'll likely have zero penalty laps at the next race.  If having more power or better suspension makes the car more fun for your team to drive, then go for it. 

It takes more than power and nice parts to win a race.  In Lemons, power is usually inversely proportional to the chances of winning.

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

You can take them as far as you want. The time and money costs keep going up as you run out of simple upgrades. One of the reasons we got rid of the Rover is that the costs, in time and money, to survive in class B was not worth it.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

There are two ways to go, ask for permission or forgiveness. 

You can always email Judge Phil for a residual value.  Email him with what you want to do and see if he will give you permission.

As far as forgiveness, it really depends on what the car is, how hopeless the team is, and if you try and hide your cheatiness with a good theme.

Regardless, you still get to race as long as it passes safety tech.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

We are pretty hopeless but the car isn't. We still have a long ways to go to reach E36 with an LS status, but the car very much has the potential. I guess my biggest concern isn't lap penalties or being bumped to class A, but more of being asked not to bring the car back or something along those lines. I think we have a long ways and a lot of money to go before that time. Just wondering how far the envelope has been pushed already.

6 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-05-03 08:45 PM)

How does your car compare to the EPIC  Rolls Royce Silver Wraith with the Viper engine? :

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … 72#p322772

Or the vehicles in this discussion? :

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … 25#p334625

Unless a team has been racing enduros for a few years... and doing it at a pretty high level... and then dominating a crap can series with blistering pace...you’re not going to have to worry too much about being asked to not come back. 

It’s tough out there.  Barber this year was a fast and deep field.  A car was in the 1:42’s!!!

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

8 (edited by chaase 2020-05-04 04:30 AM)

Firephil wrote:

We are pretty hopeless but the car isn't. We still have a long ways to go to reach E36 with an LS status, but the car very much has the potential. I guess my biggest concern isn't lap penalties or being bumped to class A, but more of being asked not to bring the car back or something along those lines. I think we have a long ways and a lot of money to go before that time. Just wondering how far the envelope has been pushed already.

As long as you don’t do something stupid like flip your car or intentionally try to harm another individual, you should be fine. They generally don’t ask people not to come back unless they are unsafe/ dangerous. Drive clean, have fun and relax.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Let's see...1947 Plymouth Sedan runs stock except full disc brake conversion and wins IoE.  They outlaw rigid steering columns so it sits.

When it comes back it has a 24 gallon fuel cell, Buick 3800 supercharged motor, T5, Crown Vic from subframe. full Tracloc rear and...a collapsible column.  Still class C, no laps.  They even made Lemonsworld episode about it.  Stayed there until we won class C and will most assuredly be in B at its next outing pretty much regardless of what we do to it.