Topic: Rewiring from Scratch

Hello all,

I'm thinking about tearing out all the factory wiring in my 1988 Ford Ranger and starting from scratch with all new wire.  I can already hear the replies of "more trouble than it's worth" and "if it aint broke don't mess with it" but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it anyway.
This vehicle has a carb and zero optional powered equipment, so I don't think it's outside of what I can realistically handle.  Also, the previous owner performed an engine swap and the engine that was put in was originally TBI (i think) with mechanical fuel pump and he converted it to carb and added electric fuel pump.  I don't like the way he did it.  It's a mess of uncovered twisty jointed connections and I don't think he bothered to run anything through a fuse.

Anyway, how many of you have rewired your car from scratch?  I'd love to see pics, and hear any advice from those who've done it.

2 (edited by jimbbski 2020-05-22 12:19 PM)

Re: Rewiring from Scratch

I have worked with aftermarket wire looms that come with color coded wires and labels for each of the functions.  They usually come with a fuse strip or you can add one easily. Much easier than going out and buying wire of various colors and putting it together yourself.  I have seen that done on a race car l but the guy doing it was someone who built electrical panels for a living. His work looked professional.

I wired the Sunbeam with one of those Painless Wiring kits.  It was a bit odd because the kit wasn't for a rear engine car plus I had to do the rough wiring setup outside the car.  Because of time constraints I had to do it while the car was getting caged.  On a single non-EFI, uncomplicated ignition car I could see going that route again.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I have done a bunch of ground-up re-wires, both professionally for OEM demo / mule vehicles and personally.

The best advice I can give to you is the modularization of your harnesses. 

Make one harness that is exclusively for power and grounds. Have your battery supply lines connected to a nice and neat terminal block. However many you think you'll need, double it. You can never have enough spare battery terminals to tap into. Additionally, the switched ignition should be considered part of the "power harness".

Engine harness should be as isolated from everything else as much as possible. Give yourself battery, ground, switched ignition, fuel pump signal and fan relay signal. All of the engine relays and connectors should be contained in this one harness. The fewer connections you have to another outside harness, the better you'll be.

Finally, the body harness should be everything that isn't physically bolted to the engine. This is going to be the big one that will require a large fuse box. Half of the fuse box will run off direct battery voltage, the half will run off switched ignition voltage. Think of the fuse box as the jumping off point for all the circuits in the body harness.

In closing, wire is very simple. There's no higher science that needs to be applied, you just need to be patient and understand that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Good luck.

The Pentastar whisperer

5 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-05-22 02:04 PM)

Is this your #1 race Ranger or your DD [#2 eventually race] Ranger?
/kill switch(es)

It’s no fun trying to troubleshoot dodgy wiring at a race track. I have replaced all my fuel injection and ignition wiring. Sounds like you have an even simpler setup. I used relays for fuel pumps and ignition components that is controlled by the ecu and they are shut off when the engine stops turning to protect against feeding a fire.

I don’t have a switched/unswitched setup, just the kill switch.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

I'd consider a Painless harness to do what you're after. I'm looking into how to get rid of MILES of wiring in my early 90s german beast... Been reading a lo about this...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

8 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-05-23 12:36 AM)

It's not more trouble than it's worth. But it is more trouble. Especially because you need to document it all and have a ton of diffrent colors and gauges of wire. And getting striped wire is a huge pain.

Do definitely invest in a good label maker that can print cable wrap for the wires with a good flexible label tape designed to do that.

This sucker with the nylon tape has saved my ass a couple times already.
https://www.dymo.com/en-US/label-makers … abel-maker

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I've rewired our VW CE2 from scratch, but used a heavily modified stock ECU engine harness.
I personally prefer circuit breakers instead of fuses, you can reset them yourself on the track if they pop.
They're not expensive, only a few dollars each.  I also like to isolate each system for easier trouble diagnostics.
I've got separate breakers for fuel pump, injectors, ignition, coil, lights, fans, ECU, etc.  If one pops, you know exactly what thing is causing the problem.

10 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-05-23 02:00 PM)

Also you look all legit with panel mounted breakers.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

buy a pre-done kit from Painless or like company. They come in as many circuits as you need. My 67 GTX drag car has a 12 wire kit. Everything is pre-marked.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I like wiring, I just doing like actually doing it...does that make sense?

If you can justify the cost, the Deutsch Connectors are the best ever.

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

I just don't like the bill the first time you have to buy all the rolls of wire.

We built the wiring harness for the 4.9 Cadillac/Miata from scratch with about 4 different junk wiring harnesses.  It was all free stuff and you can find whatever wire colors you need if you have multiple harnesses.  We've had zero issues with the wiring in the 2 years since we built it, so it is possible to make a well built purpose-made harness for free.

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

darkostoj wrote:

I like wiring, I just doing like actually doing it...does that make sense?

If you can justify the cost, the Deutsch Connectors are the best ever.

where are you located? I have a job for you...lol It is the last thing I need to finish up on my drag car. I HATE wiring.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

16 (edited by fleming95 2020-05-27 12:47 AM)

egesledder wrote:

We built the wiring harness for the 4.9 Cadillac/Miata from scratch with about 4 different junk wiring harnesses.  It was all free stuff and you can find whatever wire colors you need if you have multiple harnesses.  We've had zero issues with the wiring in the 2 years since we built it, so it is possible to make a well built purpose-made harness for free.

Tech question - did you find new pins and/or connector shells to mate to the sensors and other hardware, so the harness wires were one-piece end to end?

Or did you crimp/solder/whatever the new wires to connectors that you'd cut back as pigtails?

(Wiring is relatively easy.  Reliable terminations _that don't fatigue at the joints_ is deceptively easy because they work - at first...)

It sounds like you're an HEI and 1 wire alternator away from my KISS setup.

My car will run with 3 hots.  4 if you count the fans.  And I have an electric fuel pump.

All power comes from circuit breakers/ master disconnect.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

fleming95 wrote:

Tech question - did you find new pins and/or connector shells to mate to the sensors and other hardware, so the harness wires were one-piece end to end?

Or did you crimp/solder/whatever the new wires to connectors that you'd cut back as pigtails?

(Wiring is relatively easy.  Reliable terminations _that don't fatigue at the joints_ is deceptively easy because they work - at first...)

New pins and connectors aren't free wink

It was all solder connected and heat shrinked.  Definitely spent a lot of time making sure each solder joint was solid.  We used all adhesive lined heat shrink, that helps keep the joints solid over time, and keeps moisture out.

Bonus points for using an unrelated 80's LCD dash from some other car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew0lEFUeYgg

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

Wow, thank you everyone for the advice and food for thought.  Those of you following along at home, this is all in regards to the primary race vehicle, not the backup/daily driver. 

So I've been window shopping Amazon for wire and supplies and I'm formulating something like a plan.  I wanted to run this past the group for some feedback:

I think I can do this whole thing with 4 wire sizes (possibly 3):

1/0 or 1 AWG from battery to kill switch to starter relay to starter, and another (same size, different color?) from the starter ground terminal directly to the neg battery terminal.

4 awg from kill switch (switched side) to main electrical panel to feed multiple circuits (not sure on this one, seems like overkill. I went by the awg amp-distance chart and this is good to carry 90 amps 10 feet.  Maybe 6 awg makes more sense)

10 awg for all individual components where I expect the amperage could exceed 15 amps.  All of these would be on relays so these wires would run from the main hot terminal on the panel, through the relay, and to a component.  basically just the radiator fan, wiper motor, cabin fan, and starter relay trigger.

14 awg for everything else: other relay trigger circuits, components not expected to exceed 15 amps (really I don't expect any of the components in this list to even exceed 5 amps, except maybe LED headlights IF i even have headlights)

The one place where I have a hard time believing my research is the ignition coil circuit.  From what I've read, my conventional canister-type ignition coil and distributor "primary" circuit should only pull 4-6 amps?  meaning I could wire the coil with 14 awg and a 10 amp fuse and it would be fine? 

Opinions?  I feel like all of these could probably go a size smaller and everything would work fine but I want everything beefy.  I would probably use 30-amp fuses on all the 10awg circuits and 5 or 10 amp fuses on all the 14 awg circuits depending on the component.  possibly a fusible link in the 4awg feed line?

All looks about right. Yes coils don't need much 14 AWG will be fine. Don't put a fusible link in the 4 AWG. get a good sturdy ANL fuse and inline box. Always build to fix at the track.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea … ecordNum=1
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea … cordNum=13

14 Gauge might be overkill, but it is nicer to work with.  GXL wire is designed for use in the engine compartment.  I purchased a GXL 14g multi-color pack from wirebarn.com and was satisfied with the product. I used weatherpack connectors and really don't like them.

I also used generic heat shrink butt and terminal connectors from Amazon.  They all seemed about the same to me, blue worked good with 14g.

I used standard Bosch type automotive relays for high current items like fuel pumps, wipers, etc.  There are some nice boxes that you can get that will hold relays and fuses.

A nice stripper tool helps a lot.  I like this stipper tool:
https://www.irwin.com/tools/pliers-adju … e-stripper

I went through several different crimper tools and ended up with a non-ratcheting tool that I like best. YMMV.

If the stuff you are connecting to has special plugs, you might be able to find them on rockauto.  I found connectors with pigtails for many of the items I needed to connect to.  You can also find connectors where you can terminate with the correct terminal and insert into the connector, but those will often require special crimpers and I did not have as good of luck with that route.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

How are you wiring the alternator?

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

I've been looking into this, starting with wondering why my current alternator doesn't have a big fat +BAT terminal like every other alternator.  Turns out I have a Ford "G2" alternator with the affectionately named "flame thrower" connector.  For exactly the reason you'd expect.

So I'll be replacing that with a "G3" that has a standard +BAT terminal.  Wiring it with a 4 gauge wire from alternator +BAT to the hot side of the starter relay (probably with a 100A mega fuse between).  The rest of it with 14 gauge.  It only needs two other wires that go anywhere; one to ignition power and one to battery power.

rb92673 wrote:

GXL wire is designed for use in the engine compartment.  I purchased a GXL 14g multi-color pack from wirebarn.com and was satisfied with the product.

Thanks for the tip!  This is a good site that appears to sell a quality product at a good price. I ordered from them yesterday!  I opted for two 100' rolls of #14 GXL rather than the multi pack since I'm a cheapass and it was a better deal.  Also got two 25' rolls of #10 GXL, and ten feet each of #4,#2, and #0 battery cable.  The #2 is for the starter ground to battery.  figured that doesn't need to be quite so fat, and #2 is still bigger than what Ford used for that.

King 1 wrote:

[snip]
Wiring it with a 4 gauge wire from alternator +BAT to the hot side of the starter relay (probably with a 100A mega fuse between).  The rest of it with 14 gauge.  It only needs two other wires that go anywhere; one to ignition power and one to battery power.
[snip]

Through the kill switch?

Through the kill switch?

Not exactly.  I have the kill switches with three sets of switches built in, so the big terminals will cut the battery positive off from the rest of the system, the second set will disconnect the ignition circuit, and the third set ( closed/ connected when kill switch is off) will be wired to the BAT+ terminal of the alternator via 10 gauge  on
one side and through a 50w 3ohm resistor to ground on the other side.   Basically exactly as the instructions for the switch say.   Except the resistors I got are 50w,  and I think the instructions say 5.
But yeah if you're asking if my kill switch grounds out the starter, it does indeed.