Topic: Kill Switch

The rules say you need a "Master electrical kill switch" and I'm not sure what it means. Is it a normal kill switch that most people use? I can't find anything online.

2 (edited by jimbbski 2020-06-04 07:04 AM)

Re: Kill Switch

Here's a link to what  the rule is referring to.  There are many variations of this switch.  Some incorporate a resister to absorb voltage spikes when you shutoff the switch with the engine running.  Prices will vary widely.  USA built vrs. Chinese, etc.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ … ecID=10194

This one has the resistor to help protect the system.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ … RecID=1464

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

Your local parts store has them too.  They are cheaper but tend to not last as long.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Lemons store even has them.

http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/produc … switch.htm

I was curious about this rule too. Does it have to be the style where you insert the big red twisty guy and rotate it 90 degrees? Or could it just be like a little toggle switch?

kuzcontrol wrote:

Does it have to be the style where you insert the big red twisty guy and rotate it 90 degrees? Or could it just be like a little toggle switch?

It doesn't have to have a removable key but it must be very immediately and very obviously a kill switch to the track worker who has just run up to your car, having never seen it before, who needs to shut down your electrical system RIGHT NOW because of a safety issue. They're not going to be looking for something nonstandard such as small toggle switch, which is why rule 3.G.1 specifies a "racing-type" switch. I use a four-post switch similar to this one with the knob painted red:

https://www.miatacage.com/content/images/thumbs/0000049_battery_cutoff_switch_4_post_600.jpeg

It does not have a removable key. A removable key is nice in that it makes it harder for someone to accidentally turn on the power while, say, working on the car, but that means it's either (a) one more thing to lose or (b) attached with a tether, in which case someone can easily reinsert it and turn on the power at the wrong time anyway.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

8 (edited by RSB 2020-06-08 10:58 AM)

kuzcontrol wrote:

...Or could it just be like a little toggle switch?

Uh, no.

This switch needs to be able to safely pass current from the battery to the electrical system in the car, including the STARTER, which can draw well over 100 amps. The best toggle switch you are likely to find will only be able to handle 50 amps or so.

When you turn the kill switch to the 'off' position, there are actually 2 (or 3) switches inside which are actuated simultaneously, performing the following functions:

Switch #1. Interrupt the power going to the ignition system (this is what actually stops the car from running).

Switch #2. Disconnect the battery from the electrical system (extra safety, removing all sources of DC power from the system). Don't want electricity available around the engine if you have a gas leak, etc.

Switch #3. (optional) this switch connects the alternator to ground through a 3 ohm resistor. If you have a super simple electrical system and the only loads on the alternator are the ignition system and the battery, then the kill switch will cause an open circuit condition on the alternator output, which is not good for the alternator diodes. You can damage the alternator if you remove all loads while it is running. The 3 ohm resistor will provide a roughly 5 amp load to the alternator so it won't be damaged by the shutdown and to ensure that you have a load to dissipate any residual voltage coming from the alternator as it spins down. The resistor doesn't actually 'short out' the alternator output to ground as some people indicate - it could drive a 5 amp load all day long. However, the 3 ohm resistor is only sized to take the load for a few seconds, its not designed to be a continuous load. Most are 11 Watts, as compared to the 65 Watts that will be generated by applying 14V across 3 ohms (P = V * V / R). If your resistor gets super hot while the car is running - you have it installed incorrectly.

We Audi Be Faster

Ok, that makes sense, thanks! From what I've read before I was thinking it would just go between the battery and fuel pump, but that definitely makes more sense to just interrupt the total battery current.

RSB, do you have a resistor carrying current while your car is running during the race? Or just when you shut off the kill switch? If it's constantly carrying current, I'm guessing you don't have the Pyrotech switch sold on this site, correct?

No the Resistor is on an alternate pole in the main switch which is a DPST-NO+SPST-NC: SO 1 and 2 ON, 3 OFF. and 1 and 2 OFF, 3 ON. There have in the past been people running simpler DPST kill switch that have wired the Resistor in with the ignition switching circuit. That's very bad.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

12 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-06-08 03:39 PM)

kuzcontrol wrote:

Ok, that makes sense, thanks! From what I've read before I was thinking it would just go between the battery and fuel pump, but that definitely makes more sense to just interrupt the total battery current.

So you didn't read this yet in the rules: wink

3.G.1 Master Electrical Kill Switch. All cars must have a racing-type master electrical kill switch easily turned both off and on by the belted-in driver. The control for this switch should be red; the OFF position should be clearly indicated; the switch should be easily accessible from outside the car; and the switch should be clearly marked by a three-inch or larger lightning-bolt symbol. All electricity, including the battery, charging, and ignition circuits, must be interrupted by the kill switch. Don’t put the switch where it’s likely to be hit by another car in traffic or crushed in an accident. All exposed posts and connections must be insulated with electrical tape, rubber caps, or other nonconductive material.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

13 (edited by RSB 2020-06-09 10:56 AM)

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

RSB, do you have a resistor carrying current while your car is running during the race? Or just when you shut off the kill switch? If it's constantly carrying current, I'm guessing you don't have the Pyrotech switch sold on this site, correct?

No, there should be no voltage applied to the resistor when the car is running, so the resistor should not be generating any heat at all.

Re-reading my post, I can see the possible confusion by the way I worded that sentence. If you apply the 14V from the alternator CONTINUOUSLY to the resistor, it will get very hot and likely fail because 3 ohms equates to a 65Watt load with 14V, but the resistor is only rated to carry 11Watts steady state. It will be OK for a few seconds to dissipate the voltage from the alternator while it is spinning down. So, if the resistor is super hot, that means its installed incorrectly and is sinking current all the time.

I have included some diagrams to show how we are hooked up.  Some of the details are specific to our car, but it will give you the idea. Some details (like the starter solenoid wiring) are not shown.

Here is the configuration when the switch is ON (i.e., car is running). The battery and ignition are connected to the system, but the 3 ohm resistor is not.

https://i.postimg.cc/vmL8ZrP2/Kill-Switch-ON.jpg-

Now here is the configuration when the switch if OFF (i.e., you turn it off during tech, or when SHTF). Power is removed from the ignition system (and other things in our case) which should stop the engine from running. As a secondary safety measure, the battery is totally disconnected from  everything to reduce the possibility of sparks happening under the hood. Finally, the 3 ohm resistor is now connected to ground to make sure that the alternator has SOME path to ground to dissipate any residual voltage. If the alternator has no load, the voltage can transiently fly up to many hundreds of volts which can damage it.

As you can see, the key item here is that the main switch and switch "Z" act in opposition to switch "W". The other important thing to note is that just disconnecting the battery will not stop the engine, as the alternator will still be supplying voltage to the system.

I have seen some guys change the alternator wiring so that its connected to the 'upstream' side of the main switch. The theory is that the alternator will never be disconnected from the battery, which will avoid 'load dump' transients and protect the alternator. The problem with this is that there will always be 12V on the alternator wiring, which is located on the engine where there might be fuel leaks, etc.

https://i.postimg.cc/1tQHpQr5/Kill-Switch-Iff.jpg-

We Audi Be Faster

Thanks for the diagram RSB, that makes things clear.

RSB's post deserves a sticky in Lemons Tech

Why not alternator and battery on one pole and everything else on the other?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

That's how I do it works fine.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

cheseroo wrote:

Because ideally the ignition kill should open a few degrees of rotation before the battery kill. And also for battery draw simplicity unless you have a fully gutted electrical system. the switch just goes inline between the battery and the main positive distribution jobby.

Otherwise either way is Electrically identical, but one minimizes the amount of giant expensive cable.

I don't understand everyone's obsession with interrupting the positive battery terminal. Putting the kill switch in line with negative terminal is infinitely more safe and uses half as much battery cable. Also, there are dozens of way to stop an engine from running that doesn't involve fly-back resistors on alternator outputs.

Lately I'm seeing a lot of teams use solid state contactors that are used in Hybrid / EV cars for their high voltage switches. With these setups, the main contactor can be located immediately next to the battery and be shut off with a simple toggle switch and low current wires. While this is the safest approach, you really can't leave the battery "on" for more than an hour or two as the contactor is always drawing current to keep itself closed.

The Pentastar whisperer

B.L.U.F.:
It makes more sense to me from a safety perspective to disconnect a circuit at the main trunk line closer to the higher potential and _before_ multiple conductors distribute that potential throughout a system (the car), rather than at the main trunk line closer to the lower potential.

[Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician or electrical engineer, I'm just trying to learn about best practices]

This is my overly simplistic belief as to the reasons for this rule [I'd be happy to have a better understanding if someone can share]:

I see the purpose of this as primarily interrupting two sources of electrical potential (plus the ignition circuit by definition) to prevent sparks - and fuel ignition (inside or outside the engine cylinders) - in the case of emergency.

I see there's the stored potential in the battery, and the continually produced potential (current) from the alternator.

Any conductors attached to the positive terminal of the battery carry that potential until an interruption of the circuit. Same for the charging wires from the alternator.

A switch can be anywhere in a circuit and still interrupt the circuit. Switches can be bypassed. Switches can fail.

Bayley wrote:

(snip) ... you really can't leave the battery "on" for more than an hour or two as the contactor is always drawing current to keep itself closed.

[As an aside, I don't understand this ^ in relation to "... all electricity ... must be interrupted ...". I'm not following your explanation, probably because I'm not familiar with what you're describing.]

Bayley wrote:

Putting the kill switch in line with negative terminal is infinitely more safe and uses half as much battery cable.

I guess that depends on where your battery and switch are located. Our battery is in the trunk and the negative is connected to chassis in the trunk (2 foot cable). Running that all the way to the kill switch (front of cockpit) would require 7 or 8 feet of additional cable.

Bayley wrote:

Putting the kill switch in line with negative terminal is infinitely more safe ...

This one has been debated ad nauseam in many circles. Unless you disconnect the battery positive cable within a few inches of the battery, then there is a potential that the energized portion of the positive wire could be damaged in a crash and short to chassis which would be a direct short of the battery that can't be disconnected and would likely be a fire hazard. Totally agree with that. However, the same argument can be said if the negative cable is pinched during a crash the entire system will be re-energized. Not as catastrophic, but still bad.

Bayley wrote:

While this is the safest approach, you really can't leave the battery "on" for more than an hour or two as the contactor is always drawing current to keep itself closed.

I assume you mean "leaving the battery on with the car NOT running". Agreed, contactors usually only have Normally Open circuits (as opposed to a relay that can have NO and NC terminals) and are, as such, 'fail safe', so that when you remove power from the inputs, the default action is for the contacts to go open circuit. So if you have the power on (but car not running) you will be constantly drawing power from the battery to keep the contactor closed.

But, if you use a contactor, and you turn it on and off with a toggle switch in the cockpit then you always have 12V on a wire that runs from the battery area to the toggle switch. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the kill switch?

We Audi Be Faster

I too don't get the switched negative is much safer approach.  I don't know of a car that only has one ground conductor.  Well, my British cars tend to have few grounds because they go bad a lot but I digress.  Let's say I crash hard enough to have the car body crush into the fuel pump body or negative terminal and ground it while it's still getting 12v even though my negative ground kill switch is off.  I'd consider that to be bad.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

23 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-06-10 02:59 PM)

Not to troll this subject, but let me mention:

Some install two switches, either of which can interrupt all electricity; one primarily for the driver, and one which is easier for emergency workers to reach.

There's a recent discussion in this forum about mounting them... [I'm looking for it to add, here ... Found it!]:

Master Battery Disconnect Switch:
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=38281

Also, a fire suppression 2nd handle:
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=39028

And the perennial favorite (which I don't think even mentions a kill switch at all, but answers so many other questions I include it here for convenience):
How To Not Fail Lemons Tech Inspection

cheseroo wrote:

I too don't get the switched negative is much safer approach.  I don't know of a car that only has one ground conductor.  Well, my British cars tend to have few grounds because they go bad a lot but I digress.  Let's say I crash hard enough to have the car body crush into the fuel pump body or negative terminal and ground it while it's still getting 12v even though my negative ground kill switch is off.  I'd consider that to be bad.

If  you break the positive (somewhere other than right next to the battery), then you will have a length of wire that is always hot with 12V. In our car, the battery is in the trunk and  the kill switch is next to the gear lever (we use a remote pull to pass the rule about the kill switch being accessible from outside the car). So, the length of wire from the trunk to the gear lever is ALWAYS HOT. There is no way to remove voltage from that wire. In the event of a crash that pinches that wire against the chassis, there will be a dead short across the battery that can't be removed. That's a fire hazard. We insulate the hell out of that 'feeder' wire from the battery to the kill switch, I have it encased in a length of heater hose that adds a ton of  insulation/dielectric to it so its less likely to get shorted to chassis during a crash or other stupid things that we might do.

If you break the negative, then the entire length of positive wire is now dead (relative to the chassis), and it doesn't matter if its pinched against the chassis, there is no current loop and there is no short circuit.

Current flows in a closed loop. Break the loop and you have no current and any component that  WAS in that loop will no longer function. Doesn't matter if its the battery positive or negative that is isolated, the loop is broken when you throw the kill switch. Since each component has its own ground (a wire or hard mount to chassis) then there are multiple parallel current loops in the car.

Again, the key item here is that battery isolation is only a secondary safety issue. The car will run if you only disconnect the battery, because the alternator is still connected and will power the car. You have to disconnect the ignition or ECU or fuel pump to get the car to stop running (ideally, all three).

We Audi Be Faster

Oh no!!!!
This looks like the Email blast of 2009!!!!!

Memories .......

Manny