Topic: Good Small Tires

My team just got a '88 Honda Civic which as stock has 165x70 R13 tires. Anyone know where to find half decent tires for wheels this small? Tire rack seems to just have cheapo tires for all sizes around there unless you're getting to like 265x45, and I don't know where I'd find affordable wheels to hold tires like those.

Thanks, Alex

Re: Good Small Tires

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js … ;tab=Sizes

That guy

You'll find a few more options if 175/70R13 will fit without rubbing (I would guess... yes? as there's not much difference, although certainly check before buying a set), but it's still a fairly limited selection these days. As DirtyDuc pointed out, going even wider will produce even more options, again if they'll fit.

I run the Pirelli Cinturato CA67 in 145HR13 on my cars for street use but the CA67 doesn't have a treadwear rating on its sidewall, so that's no help for racing in Lemons. There's a Cinturato CN36 available in 175/70VR13 but I suspect it also doesn't have a treadwear rating, as it's also marketed primarily as a "vintage" tire. I mention this to point out that you'll need to make sure whatever you buy is properly marked, which means you're really asking for something that falls in the very narrow gap between "cheap and modern" and "okay but vintage." There's just not a lot in that range at this point. It also has to be marked as DOT approved for use in Lemons, which leaves out quite a few of the internationally available 13" options, too. I don't have a lot of good news for you here, but at least now you can be on guard against a couple of tempting but tech-failing shortcuts.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Go on craigslist and find someone selling some 4x100 wheels in 14" or 15". You'll probably can find some with a decent set of tires already on them. Burn those tires up doing autocross or the track day on Friday, and then mount some fresh meat for the race.

Or just run the used tires.

But, having been in your shoes far too many times with oddball dinky tires, just get bigger rims.

If you INSIST on running 13" tires, get 'em cheap from Walmart. You won't find any "good" performance tires in 13", and you'll wish you had just upsized anyway even if you do.

185/60-14 and 195/50-15 are only like 2.9% larger from your stock size.

play with size comparisons here
https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

Or go with Amazon... Roadstone tires are Anton Approved!
https://www.amazon.com/ROADSTONE-CP661- … B07DX66STP

5 (edited by DirtyDuc 2020-06-08 10:38 PM)

Yeah, I'm running some Westlakes on a 13" on the Borgward. The Federal 595s come in a close-enough size, but the jury is still out on the non-fancy version. The cheap tires are cheap and don't get eaten too badly by the rough track at Inde.

The Falkens I posted above in a 14" should go on easily and cheaply available 4x100 wheels. The 205R15s are about the same diameter.

I think there are "performance" tires in 13" but they are focused on autocross, not endurance. They are also really wide. No affordable wheel choice (though wheels aren't officially part of the budget).

That guy

BFGoodrich makes a 205/60-13 that would probably fit, and be a decent upgrade.  its roughly 0.3" taller (ride height/ wheel radius) and 1.6" wider than what you've given as stock, so you may experience some rubbing in tight turns or bottomed-out suspension but you could probably mitigate that if you don't mind beating on your inner fenders and giving up some turn radius.  Bit spendy for how small they are though.
I also found a Nankang "performance" tire in 175/50-13 that is 2/3 the price of the BFG.  It's only about 0.4" wider, and it's a full inch shorter than your stock size so if you want to lower your car an inch and put something tiny on there, this would fit.  A 50 series tire would probably make a noticeable improvement in how corners feel at speed, too.

If it were me though, I would spend the extra money and move up to a 15" or 16" rim, as others have suggested.  205/40-16 would give you approximately stock ride height and you could get Falken Azenis which seem to be one of the top choices for Lemons.  You could also get some decent Nittos in this size for about the same money as the Nankangs I mentioned above.

15" rim, 6.5 wide will fit under an 88 civic nicely and give you lots of tire options.  We ran 15x6.5 rims with Falken RT615K 205/50R15 on a 89 CRX for a few years (nearly same suspension setup as the 88 Civic).  Worked really well.  There are wider options, but you start needing wheel spacers to avoid rubbing the steering knuckle.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

8 (edited by MZAVARIN 2020-06-09 11:22 AM)

(I'm no expert...but)
  Looks like on Discount Tire Direct, on anything but the base Honda Civic, OEM is 175 width?
But depending on your budget....
you could do what I did, and buy 15 inch wheels with a smaller offset +10, instead of stock +40 ish, (instead of spacers) to give you more room, and also use wider rim

Discount Tire Direct has good options for around $100 each wheel

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy- … drag-dr-65

Sometimes can even get cheaper when they have odds and ends.  They might have others with +10, or I've seen Zero offset also.  Drag company seems to have good, cheap options
They you have lots of tire options, and width options, and you can spend even more on tires

I have a 1987 Honda Prelude, and I have 225 on, with 15 inch rims, +10 offset.

BUT! then your wheel/tire will stick out more, and you WILL need fender flares, which you can get cheap rivet -on purchased via ebay.

But then your car will look cooler, and you will need to get bigger brakes
And then you will need fancy coil overs and sway bars
And then you will need more power, and maybe a racing cam
And then maybe a turbo
And then, etc.

Welcome to the party.  You could just try this once....(like the drug dealer said....)

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

DirtyDuc wrote:

The Falkens I posted above in a 14"...

Oops. I noticed the width and missed that part.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I'll have to size up the wheels, but as some of you said that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I figure if it is we can just get rid of a little fender where it's rubbing.