Topic: SFI 3.2A/1 okay for fuelers?

Do the non-driver / crew fuelers need SFI 3.2A/1 + fireproof long underware or can they get away with just SFI 3.2A/1 suit. I know they also need gloves, socks, shoes etc.

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Re: SFI 3.2A/1 okay for fuelers?

3.C.1 ...At least two crew members must participate in fueling, all wearing the same safety gear as a driver.

The rule for fueling crew members is the same as for a driver; they can't get away with less. This is true no matter whether fueling is in the paddock or in the hot pit. In addition, for the hot pit everyone over the wall is presumed to be a fueling crew member or a driver, so everyone over the wall must wear full gear. This typically includes the area "near" the wall, too, where "near" is clearly defined at the drivers' meeting and usually by physical markings of some sort as well.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I don't think you need a Hans device, otherwise you have to dress the same as the driver. Please confirm this since I may pit for a team at Thunder Hill.

I believe that non-driving crew can also use expired (SA2010) helmets to fuel, as long as those helmets don’t go in the car.

stv--48 wrote:

I don't think you need a Hans device, otherwise you have to dress the same as the driver. Please confirm this since I may pit for a team at Thunder Hill.

Fuelers do not need any type of head/neck restraint.....

Camper Van Someren wrote:

I believe that non-driving crew can also use expired (SA2010) helmets to fuel, as long as those helmets don’t go in the car.

This is true...Some people actually stencil 'FUEL ONLY"on the helmet, just to make sure it's obvious....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

I believe that non-driving crew can also use expired (SA2010) helmets to fuel...

I do not think this is the case. The rules say the equipment must be the same.

Limonaid wrote:

I believe that non-driving crew can also use expired (SA2010) helmets to fuel...

I do not think this is the case. The rules say the equipment must be the same.

HQ has said in the past that expired helmets for fueling only is ok.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

HQ has said in the past that expired helmets for fueling only is ok.

That is great to hear!

The price difference between for an entry level suit SFI 3.2A/1 and 3.2A/5 is minimal. Time to second degree burn in 3.2A/1 is 3 seconds, where 3.2A/5 is 10 seconds. SFI says underwear doubles 3.2A/1 to 6 seconds.

Can you stop and get out of a car on fire in 6 seconds? 10 seconds?  Fueling might be one of the most dangerous parts of a weekend of racing.  I have seen more fires on pit lane than on the track.

Really we all should wear 3.2A/5 and underwear.

https://sfifoundation.com/article-1/

Please correct my math if I misspoke.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon