Topic: The Right Stuff (gear)

with money NOT being an issue and safety being THE issue- which way do I go from the Lemons store?

with money BEING an issue and safety being an issue- which way do I go from the Lemons store?

I have a motorcycle helmet- does that cut it?

does a foam neck brace cut it (is it enough or do I need/want a neck brace from the Lemons store?

having the motorcycle helmet (and if a foam neck brace is authorized) should I get a HANS device or is it required?

Thank you, Michael.

P.S. just retired, driven the Nurburgring, but I thought I might invest here as a driver

Re: The Right Stuff (gear)

M helmet - no
Foam collar - no

PRICES & RULES
section 3. SAFETY

Silver Ghost wrote:

with money NOT being an issue and safety being THE issue- which way do I go from the Lemons store?

with money BEING an issue and safety being an issue- which way do I go from the Lemons store?

I have a motorcycle helmet- does that cut it?

does a foam neck brace cut it (is it enough or do I need/want a neck brace from the Lemons store?

having the motorcycle helmet (and if a foam neck brace is authorized) should I get a HANS device or is it required?

Thank you, Michael.

P.S. just retired, driven the Nurburgring, but I thought I might invest here as a driver

"Significantly better kit" from the Lemons store.

The cheaper one, racesuitrental.com, or some people have bought used ones on eBay.

No.

No.

A neck device like HANS is required.

Go here: https://24hoursoflemons.com/prices-rules/
...and go to 3B for all of the rules on safety.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

I started with the significantly better kit from the Lemons store, but eventually bought an even nicer suit after about 5 years.  The Lemons kits are a good value and are comfortable.  The biggest difference between it and a higher end suit will be the weight and breath ability.

The base kit has a SFI 3.2A/1 rated suit, which requires you to wear the fire retardant longjohns both top and bottom to be legal.  The significantly better suit comes with a SFI 3.2A/5 rating which you can wear without the longjohns and be Lemons legal, but it still comes with a set of longjohns.  The rest of the gear in the kit is about the same, except I believe the gloves are a little better in the upgraded kit.  Personally I always recommend to my drivers to get a 3.2a/5 suit.  http://www.raceimage.com/ has some used NASCAR suits that are high quality, but priced low.

As far as helmets if you are buying now, you will want a SA2015 or SA2020 helmet when it comes out end of year.  Do not buy a SA2010 as that only has about a years worth of certification left on it.  It must be SA rated, no other helmets are accepted.   Motorcycle helmets are designed differently and will not be accepted.

Many teams share HANS devices.  My team shares a 'HANS' brand HANS, each driver just bought the correct studs for my HANS type and we swap at driver changes. 

Like others, I would recommend reading the rules.  They are short.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

If you are only racing once, Racesuit Rentals is the cheap and easy solution.

I high recommend SFI A5 gear over A1. By the time you buy the underwear you are not saving much money.

If you are going to race a while, you are likely to upgrade or replace a lot of your initial gear. I started with a treated cotton 3.2A/5 suit which was VERY hot in summer races and later upgraded to a Nomex suit which is much more comfortable. Now we race more in the winter and I occasionally wear long underwear too.

A LOT of friends and other races pick up high end second have suits from Race Image.

If you are diligent and resourceful shopper you can find good gear and very low prices. I bought a lot of my gear right after the 4th of July back in 2008. I got an SA05 helmet for like $65 and my SFI 3.2A/5 suite for hundred some odd dollars.

Way back in the beginning (2008), we were trying to find the best deals we could to keep our tab down. Now we spend more money on better or more functional gear. For example, we run FIA Enduro belts in the car now that are about $300 compared to the $65 SFI Latch Links we used in race #1.

Gear sizing is hard, if you can find a place to go try stuff on, I highly recommend it. My first suit was a little tight same with another friends. Another teammate recently bought a suit for his son which was the right size by the chart was way to big for him.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Thank all of you so very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Michael