Topic: Ipads in cars

So I'm a Lemons newcomer this year. I've been watching a lot of the race recaps on youtube and have noticed what look like ipads secured in the cars. From what I have been able to see it looks like some sort of link to the timing system.

I currently use race monitor for my other race cars but have never seen a screen like that in the system. Is this a different app that links to the transponder? Or is it just a version of race monitor that I haven't seen.

thanks

Re: Ipads in cars

There are several Apple and Android track apps that will give you information about your current and past laps, but they aren't linked to the race timing system. I have used Harry's Lap Timer on an iPhone.  It has the option of using an external GPS for better accuracy.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

It's to monitor manifold danger.
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/warning-danger-to-manifold-1571771186.jpg

Apocalyptic Racing / Frankenstein Motorworks / Burnt Rubber Soul / Voleex / Crushed Red Pepper

4 (edited by chaase 2020-07-01 11:51 AM)

There are lots of uses for an iPad. We use one with an ODBII adapter for ancillary gauges/information. No point in wiring up gauges everyone is going to ignore!

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Depending on what videos you're watching you may be seeing Autosport Labs' Race Capture app that does predictive lap timing as well as other telemetry. It doesn't currently connect to the official timing though.