Topic: Subaru powered rx7

So ah, I've been watching videos for quite a while on these races and builds and whatnot, but I was wondering what you guys would think of a 1983 Mazda rx7 with a 1995 or 1998 ej22 Subaru engine paired with either the RWD 2013 brz transmission I've got lying around or a stock manual and trans. I had(have, but just sold it) a 1980 rx7 I slapped a 1995 ej22 with a 2013 brz trans in and it worked alright, just kept overheating. I was thinking I would like to go the AWD route because AWD domination and all, but the main problem I have with that whole setup is that it would push the engine another 6 inches forward so the engine would be just 2/3 in front of the centerline of the front wheels instead of right in the middle like it was with the brz trans- and then I have no place to mount a radiator.    So pretty much where should I mount a radiator?? and what class does that sort of thing run? c? b? tis pretty jank and I don't feel like changing the headgaskets since the 1998 engine I just picked up only had 128k supposedly. I know nothing means anything till its actually built but any insight would be appreciated.

Re: Subaru powered rx7

I see no problem with moving the engine further forward so long as it provides easier access for subaru head gasket replacement...

There are tons of places you can mount the radiator. The Eyesore Miata has theirs in the passenger seat.  I have see them on roofs and trunks as well.

You could also move the firewall back, or have a subie engine in front AND back for dual engine domination.

Which fails more often, rotaries or subie head gaskets?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

yea I did see that quality Miata and it might work to be there, I had the preconception of having a passenger seat though. maybe ill just put it on top of the hood! with some little ducts to vent down or something. I had another idea a while back that I just remembered when you said 2 engines. It was a Toyota minitruck with 2 honda civic front ends as the drivetrain and 4 wheel steering. The main problem with that was the fuel tank would be hecking expensive, so I went the rx7 route. I still have the plans I drew up for that and might get around to it in a year or so depending on how badly the rx7 does.  As for the headgasket replacement, it would pull the engine forward, but not that much. There would still be 2 inches of strut tower on either side so I wouldn't be able to get the bolts out. Idk. Ive got the ending pulling sequence pretty much down to an hour in one of these(the 1980 rx7 went thru 3 rotaries and 3 Subaru engines). Itll be fiinnnee tho its only probably got 128k!  Id say rotaires are slightly less reliable- but pretty close to subarus haha.

95 EJ22 should be non-interference (always a plus). We just ran an EJ25 through Gingerman and it worked very well.

Ours ran just a little hot at the worst, and that was with an oil cooler. I would consider oil coolers and mandatory for these poor things.

Liha zakonnykh ukrayinskykh biznesmeniv.
Ford Pinto Wagon 1972 roku – heroyichne vypravlennya, Memorial Toni Svona 2019 roku
Subaru Outback Sport 2007 - rehionalna premiya, NHMS 2020 - OnlyLamms.com
"My vzyaly zelenyy i kartatyy, ale vse mizh tsym bulo dosyt skhematychno."

6 (edited by epicrc02 2020-07-11 08:42 AM)

Now, how are you running your oil cooler with that? Did it have one stock, or are you using the ol oil filter adapter style, or is there a way to get something straight off the block. Ive got my rotary oil coolers and those just came off the block, but then searching about the Subaru stuff, it seems like its a bit different. it would be great if I could just get custom oil cooler hoses and use my rotary oil cooler, but idk.
Also, would you want to upgrade the oil pump at that point to get more flow through the system?