Topic: Who's flown in for an arrive & drive before?

I'll be doing an arrive and drive at Thompson but since I have a ton of points and it's a 14 hour drive to Lake Chargornanonawombat, I'll be flying in and out of Providence.

Anyone have any "gotchas" or horror stories to watch out for with the TSA? I definitely want to make sure my helmet and hans are in my carry on so I can keep an eye on them.

Cheers all, see you next month.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

2 (edited by derekste 2020-07-20 07:17 AM)

Re: Who's flown in for an arrive & drive before?

KeiCarMike wrote:

I'll be doing an arrive and drive at Thompson but since I have a ton of points and it's a 14 hour drive to Lake Chargornanonawombat, I'll be flying in and out of Providence.

Anyone have any "gotchas" or horror stories to watch out for with the TSA? I definitely want to make sure my helmet and hans are in my carry on so I can keep an eye on them.

Cheers all, see you next month.

I have had no issues on Southwest (or TSA at MDW, DEN, & KCI) with helmet, backpack, and carry on-suitcase. Suitcase and helmet into overhead bin, backpack under the seat in front of you.

Depending on the material your HANS is made of, I could see them wanting to take a look at it -- some composites look very dense on scanners, apparently. Had a mmWave full body scan and they asked to see my carbon fiber wallet in my cargo shorts pocket, and seemed somewhat in disbelief when they saw it was just a wallet.

When I fly from CMP->HPR in a couple months I am considering going Stig style: full racing gear donned, visor down, no words....

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

I have a standards necksgen, which is rubber/ABS with some carbon bits. I normally give myself extra time and the TSA at CMH is pretty cool about things.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

KeiCarMike wrote:

I have a standards necksgen, which is rubber/ABS with some carbon bits. I normally give myself extra time and the TSA at CMH is pretty cool about things.

Check all the rules around quarantine because some states are trying to enforce a 14-day quarantine, paperwork, etc

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Thanks, I've read Rhode Island's guidelines and will be prepared. Most likely will be getting tested in the week leading up to the race and self-quarantining until I travel. I'm an essential worker so I've already been getting tested every 14 days since April.

FYI, for those of you wondering about the CT state guidelines:
https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Covid … -Out-of-CT

To quote them:

How long is the quarantine? The advisory requires visitors to Connecticut from the impacted states to quarantine and self-monitor for 14-days. Those travelers coming to Connecticut for shorter stays can quarantine and self-monitor for less than that if their stay is shorter.

I've flown to and from seven Lemons races as an arrive-and-drive. My strategy is to use a big ol' heavy-duty fiberglass electronics case that holds not only all of my racing gear but everything else for the weekend, which means I don't have to deal with any carry-on items. If I have to check something, I'd rather just go ahead and check everything.

I've found notes in it afterwards on perhaps three occasions (out of fourteen flights) indicating that it had been searched by TSA (as if I wouldn't have noticed everything had been rearranged...) but I've never come up with anything damaged or missing. About half the time I have had to answer questions from airline staff at check-in about its contents, as they seem to think it looks like a shipping container for transporting human organs or the like. They're surprised when I explain I'm using it as ordinary luggage. Maybe that's just their reaction to me, though.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

I've flown to and from seven Lemons races as an arrive-and-drive. My strategy is to use a big ol' heavy-duty fiberglass electronics case that holds not only all of my racing gear but everything else for the weekend, which means I don't have to deal with any carry-on items. If I have to check something, I'd rather just go ahead and check everything.

I've found notes in it afterwards on perhaps three occasions (out of fourteen flights) indicating that it had been searched by TSA (as if I wouldn't have noticed everything had been rearranged...) but I've never come up with anything damaged or missing. About half the time I have had to answer questions from airline staff at check-in about its contents, as they seem to think I look like someone who will try and transport human organs or the like. They're surprised when I explain I'm using it as ordinary luggage. Maybe that's just their reaction to me, though.

Edited for accuracy

Spank wrote:
mharrell wrote:

...I look like someone who will try and transport human organs or the like.

Edited for accuracy

No, that can't be it. When I use regular luggage I don't get asked that question nearly as often.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I've flown in for a few races and never had any issues w/TSA.I just pack all my gear into a large hard-sided suitcase and check it....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Alternative solution...if you know a team member on the other end, ship it ahead but whatever you do, don't us USPS.  They went from slow, overpriced but mostly reliable to outrageously slow, and insanely unreliable.

UPS Store may accept and hold a package for you. They do this for their boxholders. UPS's website suggests contacting the local store for any requirements and fees.

Not really worried about baggage, southwest is still two bags free checked plus your carry on and personal item. More than enough space in luggage and less of a hassle than shipping.

Most racetracks will accept and hold packages for you.  Since some series are traveling series, its easiest to just have parts shipped to a track.  We've had engines waiting for us before.  Just check with the track beforehand.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)