1 (edited by ChiFJ40 2020-08-04 01:24 PM)

Topic: Free for someone crazy/creative enough to build it

Marine "V-Drive" transmission.  Bolts to a Mercruiser (aka Chevy) marine motors - small and big blocks up to 475HP.  Exact model is ZF 63IV.  1.56:1 ratio / 12% down angle / applies 100% power in forward and reverse so in theory it could be mounted either direction.  Pair w/ a transaxle (of your choosing) for gearing.  Google for more specs.

Replaced w/ a new one 15 years ago after the temperature alarm went off coming from South Haven back to Chicago.  We immediately shut it down and limped back on one engine.    Ran it the rest of the season without issue - assuming we kept the trips under an hour.  Anything longer then that and the alarm would go off and we'd have to let it cool down.  The mechanic diagnosed the problem as being the "fluid pump" not moving enough fluid thru the cooler.  I wasn't overly confident in his diagnosis so just replaced the entire unit.  It's been sitting in my garage ever since - and the boat it came out has been sold.  It has less then 150 hours total use on it.

Clearly it needs something done to it plus it has now been sitting for 15 years.  I'm sure anyone brave enough to tackle this project can figure it out.  Or...since the marine cooler was pretty small maybe a big huge towing trans cooler would solve the issue?  I have no idea....just speculating. 

Free to anyone contemplating a wild build....I just ask I get to drive around the paddocks or a practice lap at Gingerman or Joliet.  Here's a link w/ pictures from the web:

https://www.fredwarner.net/product/zf-6 … 312003013/

It's currently buried in my garage (heated/dry) in the same box the new one came in.  Can't ship - it's heavy.  Will help load.  It's in Chicago IL.