Topic: Lemons car info

I hope this is posted in the right area. I have been wanting to race at a Lemons event for ever! and I want to ask a few questions.
also by the way my goal would be to race early 2021 and start prepping now.

1. car suggestions or opinions? I like the idea of a clapped out Pontiac grand Prix gtp (supercharged v6) and my other thought would be any v8 american car pre 1984(I know I can tune up carbs easily and to be honest I hate efi until obdII standard.)

2. safety stuff. do you all build your own cages? can they be mig welded or do they need to be professionally done tig welded cages? (couldn't find any info on this site). also were would you suggest looking for racing suits and misc saftey gear? I would assume not on amazon lol.

3. tires tires tires!!! is there any tires you can recommend? is the minimum tread wear 200 if I remember correctly?

4. Any wisdom you can bestow upon me would be great! thanks in advance!!!

Re: Lemons car info

Most of these questions have been previously answered if you search the site.
1.  I'd go with the GTP
2.  They don't specify method.  I suppose an amazing stick welder could make a cage that will pass but I'd want mig or tig.  Cage building is a bit of an art so I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself if your welding skills are lacking in any way or you don't educate your self on the order of operations of building one.  There are people who sell pre-bent cages if you have someone who is a good welder   Also study the "How not to fail tech" guide.  The Lemons store sells safety gear.
3.  Tire opinions = buttholes.  Azeni RT615k, Hankook RS4 and Dunlop Direzza are popular 200TW tires
4.  You're probably gonna have around $5k in the car by the time its all said and done unless you are very good at scrounging so be prepared to lay out some dough to make this happen.  Racing cheap cars does not always equate to cheap racing.  Search this site for basic info.  They kicked around the idea of having experienced Lemons racers be available to serve as mentors for newbies.  Maybe email HQ to ask if that program is available and if someone is in your area.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

thanks for the answers after posting I found lots of info thanks for your input on the car and after poking around at saftey equipment is a ton more than I originally thought but that is why I'm planning now building soon and racing hopefully early '21
also I can half way fake welding with a good mig machine but I know some sanctioning bodies ask for chromoly tig welded cages but it looks like Lemons is a bit cooler and will let me use mig and dom tubing that said I have a buddy who is a good welder I may have to out source to him.

anyway thanks!!!!

4 (edited by bobnowoc 2020-08-28 03:30 AM)

I Am brand new , and going to my first race in 14 days. So I may not have the most experience. But here is what I learned building my team and car

Car,  something reliable and popular.
Popular = cheap plentiful parts
Small and light is better than big and heavy
I ended up with a crown vic.  (Oops.  Big and heavy)

Tires.    Dont worry about that until after you bought car, and decided if upgraded rims and brakes are necessary.   We moved up from stock 15s to 17s for bigger tires and brakes.   

Welding was the trick part for us, so i waited until i found a pre raced Lemons car with a cage.
Mine had already passed Lemons tech.
I hunted craigslist, this forum and facebook market place for a year.
(Keywords roll cage or race car) 
If you buy a preraced car, BE CAREFUL.
Other series cages may not pass Lemons tech.  Buying a circle track car and cage is worthless.
We bought a used Lemons race car that already passed tech.

Wanna race now?  Go to "teams looking for drivers" and "Drivers looking for teams" on the forum.   Lots of options. I got 2 of my 4 driverrs there.

14 hour race, 4 drivers.
24 hour race, you can do up to 6 drivers.

Racesuitrental.com  for a rental suit and helmet.

Plan on spending $5,000 to $7,000 between today and your first race, if you include admission, car, weld a cage, safety gear, uniforms,  fire suppression, etc.

Vrbo.com and airbnb.com for race housing, when you are ready.

Dont pay race fees until your car is ready, but signing up for a race is free.

Print off " how to not fail Lemons tech" from this website, and make all your team read it.

There is a ton of good information on this forum .
Most of these guys are brilliant, but there are one or two idiots that don't know what they're talking about, but post often.
So be careful on any advice you get on this forum.

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Welcome. There's a lot of support here. Good to see your enthusiasm.

Some quick suggestions:
1. Read the forums in detail; I especially suggest in this same Lemons Newcomers section: The best tips from us idiots on getting started losing money in Lemons.

2. Read the rules in detail.
[*Many here suggest to mount the seat first, _before_ the cage.*]
Many questions will be answered with a little research. Your question about TIG [not required] has already been answered. But, from the rules:

3.E ROLLCAGE REGULATIONS
3.E.1 General Rollbar and Structure. Professionally-made full rollcage required. A poorly built, improperly mounted, or badly engineered rollcage will keep you from racing: Don’t show up with crap! Cages originally created as bolt-ins are not allowed.
[snip]
For simple illustrations, check out: How To Not Fail Lemons Tech Inspection
[snip]
3.E.1.b What Do You Mean By All That Mumbo-Jumbo? Don’t understand any of the above? See where it states “professionally made?” You shouldn’t be doing this yourself.

But that doesn't mean you can't. But: Inspectors do not compromise on safety inspection. Send pics to Pagel, early. And read the many threads about cage building.

3. Search the cars for sale section for previously raced Lemons cars; these would have passed tech in the past. They're generally less expensive than doing it yourself.

Unless you want to do this yourself, with your own choice of vehicle - which I understand.

4. Indicate the general area you live in, in your profile. There may be help close by.

Good luck.

[I might be one of those idiots]

6 (edited by bobnowoc 2020-08-28 05:51 AM)

O.P.    "re read the rules"  and "ask Pagel" is always the correct answer

Newton,  thank you for self reporting, but the Black Flag was not for you.

You are good to go.  Green Flag

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

bobnowoc - that's "Newton-Metre" if you please.

Don't get me torqued up so early in the morning ;-)

8 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-08-28 07:04 AM)

dup

bronsonjones wrote:

I hope this is posted in the right area. I have been wanting to race at a Lemons event for ever! and I want to ask a few questions.

1. car suggestions or opinions? I like the idea of a clapped out Pontiac grand Prix gtp (supercharged v6) and my other thought would be any v8 american car pre 1984(I know I can tune up carbs easily and to be honest I hate efi until obdII standard.)

2. safety stuff. do you all build your own cages? can they be mig welded or do they need to be professionally done tig welded cages? (couldn't find any info on this site). also were would you suggest looking for racing suits and misc saftey gear? I would assume not on amazon lol.

3. tires tires tires!!! is there any tires you can recommend? is the minimum tread wear 200 if I remember correctly?

I would say build what you know. If you are an import FWD guy build that. The GTP would be a PITA to work on. The V6 is sideways. If you have never built a cage, have somebody else do it. Be prepared to pay. Our cage is the most expense thing in/on the car. We run a 88 Firebird and are happy with Dunlop Direzza's.  You probably want to build something you can get parts at any parts store. Odd ball cars are cool, but if you need a brake rotor or distributor, you are done for the weekend.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I would say build what you know. If you are an import FWD guy build that. The GTP would be a PITA to work on. The V6 is sideways. If you have never built a cage, have somebody else do it. Be prepared to pay. Our cage is the most expense thing in/on the car. We run a 88 Firebird and are happy with Dunlop Direzza's.  You probably want to build something you can get parts at any parts store. Odd ball cars are cool, but if you need a brake rotor or distributor, you are done for the weekend.

11 (edited by majo 2020-08-28 11:18 AM)

When choosing a car, buy the crappiest, most obscure car you can find. Be a legend not a lemming ( why do I ALWAYS have to be the voice of reason on this? ).  This is the most important step.  Pontiac GP is never a bad choice though.

If you've never installed a cage, have an experienced builder do it.

Basic safety equipment at a decent price can be found on the Lemons website.

Everyone and their sister has an opinion on tires.  Read what you can and pick one.

Best of luck with your build.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Re: Cage building - You can do it. However, there are some big caveats.

Here are some things to ponder:

- Build your cage on plinth boxes. It's A LOT easier, and makes 360° welds easier.
- Use the largest diameter you can (1.75"), with the thickest wall that makes sense (.120" wall), for your first cage.
   Overbuilt is better than underbuilt.
- Mandrel bends only!! No crush bending.
- No grinding on welds without express permission from J.Pagel. (You probably won't get it.)
- If your welding skills are Meh, make weld samples of tubing joints and tube/plate joints and send pics to John Pagel.
   He'll tell you if they suck or pass.
BTW, it's always easier to weld on a bench, so make you samples in side of a box, or something,
   to simulate difficult welding positions.
- Take the time to have as little gap as possible on your joints.
- Install your main hoop a bit behind the B-pillar for extra fore/aft space.
- 4-door cars have easier access for cage building.
- READ THE DAMNED "How Not to Fail Lemons Tech Inspection" manual many, many times.
- Buy more tubing than you think you'll need.
- Check OffRoadFabNet for cage building tutorials, advice, and ideas. There's a lot there.
- Try to keep your bars as tight to the sheetmetal as you can manage.
- Remove the glass for install.
- Look for fluid lines and wiring harnesses under the areas you will be welding on.

That's just a few of the things to keep in mind.
Good luck, and enjoy the build.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I'll chime in here with my 2 cents...
If you have time,search Ebay for good used safety gear.
If you are patient,you can score great deals on your suit,shoes,gloves,etc.
I scored a great deal on a suit from a Nascar team that went belly-up mid season.
Check out the seller 'raceusedrescued' on ebay and  search away...

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

I learned Motorcycle helmets will not pass tech

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

I had a buick lesabre when I was younger and am familiar with that plat form with that being said I think im leaning towards something with a carb as of now.

Mr.Yuck wrote:
bronsonjones wrote:

I will look on ebay and such thanks for the idea i never thought to look there duh!!!!

BigBird wrote:

I scored a great deal on a suit from a Nascar team that went belly-up mid season.

will do thanks!

bobnowoc wrote:

O.P.    "re read the rules"  and "ask Pagel" is always the correct answer

Newton,  thank you for self reporting, but the Black Flag was not for you.

You are good to go.  Green Flag

i will have to have someone build a cage my welding experience is youtube tutorials and mig welding exhausts together with enough slag so it doesnt fall off lol.

DelinquentRacer wrote:

Re: Cage building - You can do it. However, there are some big caveats.

Here are some things to ponder:

- Build your cage on plinth boxes. It's A LOT easier, and makes 360° welds easier.
- Use the largest diameter you can (1.75"), with the thickest wall that makes sense (.120" wall), for your first cage.
   Overbuilt is better than underbuilt.
- Mandrel bends only!! No crush bending.
- No grinding on welds without express permission from J.Pagel. (You probably won't get it.)
- If your welding skills are Meh, make weld samples of tubing joints and tube/plate joints and send pics to John Pagel.
   He'll tell you if they suck or pass.
BTW, it's always easier to weld on a bench, so make you samples in side of a box, or something,
   to simulate difficult welding positions.
- Take the time to have as little gap as possible on your joints.
- Install your main hoop a bit behind the B-pillar for extra fore/aft space.
- 4-door cars have easier access for cage building.
- READ THE DAMNED "How Not to Fail Lemons Tech Inspection" manual many, many times.
- Buy more tubing than you think you'll need.
- Check OffRoadFabNet for cage building tutorials, advice, and ideas. There's a lot there.
- Try to keep your bars as tight to the sheetmetal as you can manage.
- Remove the glass for install.
- Look for fluid lines and wiring harnesses under the areas you will be welding on.

That's just a few of the things to keep in mind.
Good luck, and enjoy the build.

bronsonjones wrote:

i will have to have someone build a cage ... [snip]

I'm going to call that a very prudent decision; and I think everybody will agree.

In the thread I pointed you to earlier, I think there was plenty of discussion about cages being the single most expensive, and, most time consuming, part of building a race car.

And if it's not right, you won't race.

There's good information in this thread already [for example, DelinquentRacer's reference of OffRoadFabNet is new to me - I'm heading there shortly].

I am _not_ an experienced builder. I lurked here for over a year, reading threads to learn, before signing up to post. What I previously summarized has been from several of those here whom I highly respect, and has been how I'm currently proceeding; but I have the luxury of local professional resources to call on.

So, even though I have the _intention_ of building a race car with what I already have, just because I want to; I still agree with those who suggest that buying a previously raced car is quicker to get to actually race, and is generally less expensive.

bronsonjones wrote:

I will look on ebay and such thanks for the idea i never thought to look there duh!!!!

BigBird wrote:

check raceimage.com as well

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

have the car completely gutted, including doors....have him run the bars as close to the A pillars and roof as possible. Make sure you mount the seat and have your tallest driver sit in the car with helmet on. The last thing you want is to pay a bunch of money for the cage and have to sit on the floor because your head is too close to the halo.

BigBird wrote:

+1 on stalking deals on ebay if you are patient and have time. You can start inexpensively with closeouts and "worn once" gear.  I got everything except the neck harness from overstock/clearance sales, dirt cheap. You can find a lot of deals from people upgrading, too; and then upgrade if you stick with racing (lots of folks don't). Lemons actually has the best prices on nomex long johns if you snag a single-layer suit cheap (they are as low as $45/50 new).  And great deals from drivers that started with the low-cost suits and upgraded to the NASCAR surplus stuff, like Big Bird (and I) did.

A Hans device new is $400

Amazon has an off brand z-tech or something for $250ish

I wore both, at practice, and prefer the z-tech for comfort

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

bronsonjones wrote:

...my goal would be to race early 2021 and start prepping now.

I started in December 2019, planning for the Sept 2020 Buttonwillow race. We are just barely getting it done.

bronsonjones wrote:

Forced induction cars have a history of blowing up in Lemons. I'd suggest having a complete and known good spare engine and transmission on hand. Also, make sure your cooling system is up to date and unrestricted. Have new spare waterpump, hoses, pullys and belts on hand.

bronsonjones wrote:

Had my cage pro welded at a shop, cost around $3k (including welding the seat and belt mounts and a few other small items).

bronsonjones wrote:

There are several good options in TW200, we are using Yokohama Advan. Brakes, we are running ST43 brake pads, plain EBC rotors and Motul brake fluid.

bronsonjones wrote:

Focus on reliability.

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

bobnowoc wrote:

A Hans device new is $400

Amazon has an off brand z-tech or something for $250ish

I wore both, at practice, and prefer the z-tech for comfort

Yes on the Z-Tech. It is inexpensive, comfortable, and effective; and available at the Lemons store for $288 if Amazon runs out. 

One of our drivers unintentionally tested one at Atlanta last year and it worked perfectly. The seat and seat mount both bent, and of course the car was totaled, but the driver was fine with only mild rib bruising from the seat frame/sides; driver's head and neck were undamaged, not even a headache.