1 (edited by Skinny D 2020-08-31 09:39 PM)

Topic: Recommendation for in car lap timer with pit-to-driver communication?

Hi everyone,

We want to have a lap timer on a phone in the in car so drivers can pace themselves over the course of their session without the pit calling in to them on the radio.

Additionally, we need pit-to-driver messaging ability to be able to send messages to the lap timer that the driver can see (such as "pit in 10 laps" or "target lap time: 1:58 - slow down!"), for backup communication.

It seems that the RaceCapture app by Autosport Labs does all this, but it requires hundreds of dollars of telemetry hardware that we don't need.

Does anyone know if RaceCapture can run in "standalone" mode, without the expensive hardware? (Presumably using the phone's GPS for lap tracking and cellular modem for data.)

Alternatively, does anyone know of a program that has these two features?

Thanks!
- Dan

Re: Recommendation for in car lap timer with pit-to-driver communication?

Harry's Lap Timer phone app seems popular.  It originally was iPhone only but dont know if they ever did an android version.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Yup, I've used Harry's before. I realized that I wrote that pit-to-driver communication was optional, so I've now edited it to make it clear that is the special required feature that I can't find. Thanks!

Skinny D wrote:

Yup, I've used Harry's before. I realized that I wrote that pit-to-driver communication was optional, so I've now edited it to make it clear that is the special required feature that I can't find. Thanks!

Let us know if you find something that does this, it would be cool.

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

For lap times we use Track Addict.   For communication we use 2-way radios.  When the radios don't work, we use a clock in the car.   I'm sure you can find a way to text the driver to a separate phone.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Race monitor gives lap times, which is what we use to monitor in the pits. Any of the above mentioned apps work for in car.

I would strongly advise against relying on any text based communications to the driver. Your driver should be watching the track, not looking at a screen. Things are chaotic in the car, and trying to focus on a phone screen to read small text is asking for incidents on track.

If you want to communicate the best method is 2-way radios. There are dozens of threads on the subject of radios. If you don't want to go radios for whatever reason, you can also discuss a point on the track that your drivers should look every lap for someone holding a sign, works for a lot of people. A clock in the car is a good idea overall.

There are also arguments for not giving your driver direct access to lap times. Depending on your driver's personality it can make them overdrive the car seeking to be the fastest person on the team. Fast lap of the weekend means nothing if it causes you to overdrive and earn a black flag because you hit someone or went off the track. More important is driving consistently. We have no lap time data in the car, and will simply tell drivers if they need to slow a bit for fuel conservation, or if they are holding consistent times overall. But if you really want lap times in the car, by all means go for it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

7 (edited by VKZ24 2020-09-01 08:05 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

...you can also discuss a point on the track that your drivers should look every lap for someone holding a sign, works for a lot of people.

I swear even if one of my teammates was holding a flashing neon sign, I would never see it. 

We've had radio problems a few times (hasn't everybody?) and if not for the clock in the car, I have no idea what we would do.  We have a pre-determined schedule, so each driver knows when to come in if the radio isn't working.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Doesn't work for everyone, but in every radio thread there is at least one person who swears that they are just fine holding signs. We've discussed a couple times that if the radio ever goes down the driver should look for someone with a sign at a specific point on track. Haven't had to use it yet. We mostly use the clock and only chat on the radio to confirm with the driver that we're ready for them in the hot pits.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

As Engineer said keep it simple but we have tested a lot of radios over the years here at DRVOLKS and used  Race monitor too need someone with with a bit of know how to setup. For radios we have used the Motorola CP200d  the top of the line you can drop $1000 fast. But the last years been testing the Fodsprot M1-S pro Motorcycle bluetooth head sets at $95 a head set. At Thomson test day they worked great I was at the starters line and could talk to my driver the whole track but behind the hill it would drop off but it will link back up ever time at the start of the hill front shoot. They are a open mike all the time and can last the whole day on a charge.  We will be using them at NH they work on a daisy chain concept so you can cover over 2000 ft with a few head sets. They can be hot swapped too from one helmet to another.  They just need to add the head set kit to there helmet and the M1-Pro body just clips in on the out side and you are ready to go.
Down side
They are open mike now so in the pits as crew chief you need to cover the mike when talking about the drivers crappy driving or how his wife looks in the tight jeans!!
And the same gos for the driver I can hear them bitch all the time to there self's
You need to sink all the units in the morning takes a bit of doing it a few time to make it smooth.
For big tracks in NH we will test adding one on a 25 ft pole on the back side in a water tight bag to use as a repeater.
Teams that like to block polish guys come to mind!! can work like a group of shark in the water with these and cut up the field!!!   
If I can be of help let me know.

DRVOLKS wrote:

As Engineer said keep it simple but we have tested a lot of radios over the years here at DRVOLKS and used  Race monitor too need someone  with a bit of know how to setup. For radios we have used the Motorola CP200d  the top of the line you can drop $1000 fast. But the last years been testing the Fodsprot M1-S pro Motorcycle bluetooth head sets at $95 a head set. At Thomson test day they worked great I was at the starters line and could talk to my driver the whole track but behind the hill it would drop off but it will link back up ever time at the start of the hill front shoot. They are a open mike all the time and can last the whole day on a charge.  We will be using them at NH they work on a daisy chain concept so you can cover over 2000 ft with a few head sets. They can be hot swapped too from one helmet to another.  They just need to add the head set kit to there helmet and the M1-Pro body just clips in on the out side and you are ready to go.
Down side
They are open mike now so in the pits as crew chief you need to cover the mike when talking about the drivers crappy driving or how his wife looks in the tight jeans!!
And the same gos for the driver I can hear them bitch all the time to there self's
You need to sink all the units in the morning takes a bit of doing it a few time to make it smooth.
For big tracks in NH we will test adding one on a 25 ft pole on the back side in a water tight bag to use as a repeater.
Teams that like to block polish guys come to mind!! can work like a group of shark in the water with these and cut up the field!!!   
If I can be of help let me know.