Topic: Tell me about the transponders...can I see our lap times live?

We are renting a transponder for Buttonwillow.

I've never used one before, so I have many noob questions:

Will we be able to see our lap times live? What web site will show the data? Do we need to create an account? Will we see the times and positions of the other cars?

Do we need to wire up power for the transponder?

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Re: Tell me about the transponders...can I see our lap times live?

Welcome,noob......

Yes,you will see your times..
Download the RaceMonitor app....it's $5 for a yearly subscription..
No account needed,just tap on your car # and it will tell you where you are overall,as well as the cars in front of you and behind you,as well as the distance(time) between you..
No need to hardwire it,it comes precharged and a charge will last the weekend
Just make sure you mount it low on the car (Within 12" ) and somewhere with a clear line of sight to the ground...
Use good zipties...If you break it, you bought it..and it aint cheap

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

3 (edited by dungeonracer 2020-09-16 06:40 PM)

So on that note, and as a 1st timer, what is the best way/place to mount the transponder?
Do we need to drill a hole in the floor board to properly mount the transponder?

1991 VW Jetta #38 - cuz Whoopie Pie!

Not sure if its the same at every track. at HPR the timing loop is under the track so you want the transponder about 12 inches off the ground and on the outside of the car so there is nothing between the transponder and the ground. I put mine on the lower part of the drivers side front fender. between the wheel and the door. drilled 4 holes and ran the zip ties around.

I typically mount mine on an inner frame rail either at the front or back of the car.  Somewhere where it's around 12" off the ground (MyLaps sez 12-24"), vertical (standing on edge, not flat) with the mount hole to the top.  Also want to keep in mind the possibility of it getting knocked off in an accident when planning location.  If you are renting, I believe the new transponders from Lemons come with the mount.

Or be like those guys a few years ago at Thunderhill that ziptied it to the top of their rollcage.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

dungeonracer wrote:

So on that note, and as a 1st timer, what is the best way/place to mount the transponder?
Do we need to drill a hole in the floor board to properly mount the transponder?

Inner frame rail,front or back,doesnt matter,or core support..
You want it somewhere safe from potential impact,as well as being easy to get to when you inevitably forget to remove it and return it after the race is over...

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Race monitor for at the track like mentioned. You'll only be able to see the last like 15-20 laps, but you get it live. If you want to see all of your laps, and all of the laps of all the other cars after the fact, create a free account at https://speedhive.mylaps.com/ (the site owned by the maker of the transponders), and a couple days after the race all the data gets published.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

My favorite location for the transponder if you car has one is the side spare tire well.  It is protected on three sides, tends to put the bottom of the transponder close to the ground and requires simply 4 small holes in the spare well to allow an X pattern of zip ties over the transponder as weill as one or more through the hole.

Last transponder I rented had instructions that came with it as well as a wristband to remember to return it.  I typically put the transponder wristband on the steering wheel of the tow vehicle so I remember to return before I leave.  Putting it on my wrist does nothing for me.

I mount mine on the outside of the spare tire well with zip ties.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Good feedback from all here, thanks!

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber