Topic: Your favorite harness brands

We're replacing our harness before NH, trying to pick one. The gold standard in my mind is Scroth in terms of quality adjusters. But they are on the pricier side for a belt you can't re-certify (unless they've changed something since the last time I looked).

What are your favorite harnesses with GOOD adjusters? Must be cam-lock, must be FIA, must be able to be re-certified, lap belts must be pull down. When I say good I mean that it must not be a monumental task to actually tighten the damn lap belts.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: Your favorite harness brands

I was super happy with Crow Enterprizes Enduro Quick change. Cam-lock, SFI, and $273.15 shipped.  Looks like re-certify is $75 plus freight & taxes. Took a little longer then I expected. About 3 weeks ordered to shipped because they were having trouble getting webbing this spring with all the covid shipping issues.

I used a brand new set of Sparco 6-pt camlock harnesses for CMP, FIA Cert since we race in NJ. God they were awful. Single adjustment on the lap belts, which locked solid when you tried to pull them tight. $300some bucks and after 1 race they’ll go straight into the trash.

I miss the FIA cert G-force camlocks. Cheap and great value.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

gtopat wrote:

I used a brand new set of Sparco 6-pt camlock harnesses for CMP, FIA Cert since we race in NJ. God they were awful. Single adjustment on the lap belts, which locked solid when you tried to pull them tight. $300some bucks and after 1 race they’ll go straight into the trash.

I miss the FIA cert G-force camlocks. Cheap and great value.

I'm looking for a set of belts for the passenger side seat we're adding for HPDE/rookie training. Want to sell the Sparcos? Quick adjustment won't be an issue for passenger/coach.

There may be a conflict in your requirements.  I *think* FIA doesn't allow rewebbing/recert of harnesses.  Those Scroth/Sabelt/Willans/etc harnesses are really, really nice, expensive and you have to bin them after a couple years.  The new Crow Enduro line has nice adjusters and meets your requirements except they are SFI cert.  You probably can't order pull up off their site. Just call them and tell them what you want and they'll take care of you.  Nice people.  My last set arrived the next day.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

There may be a conflict in your requirements. I *think* FIA doesn't allow rewebbing/recert of harnesses.  Those Scroth/Sabelt/Willans/etc harnesses are really, really nice, expensive and you have to bin them after a couple years.  The new Crow Enduro line has nice adjusters and meets your requirements except they are SFI cert.  You probably can't order pull up off their site. Just call them and tell them what you want and they'll take care of you.  Nice people.  My last set arrived the next day.

I would be today years old when I learned this (if true). I honestly had never heard that FIA can't be recert before. If that's the case, 1 thanks for the education, and 2. I can relax my conditions a bit. An SFI set + a couple recert fees probably will be cheaper or on par with the expensive brands.

I defiantly do not want pull up belts though (adjusters near the lap attachment points), and most certainly want pull down (adjusters near the cam lock).

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

johnjamesmiller wrote:

I was super happy with Crow Enterprizes Enduro Quick change. Cam-lock, SFI, and $273.15 shipped.  Looks like re-certify is $75 plus freight & taxes. Took a little longer then I expected. About 3 weeks ordered to shipped because they were having trouble getting webbing this spring with all the covid shipping issues.

This. Vet owned business who manufacturers the restraints in the USA.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Safecraft 5010.  I like them better than the Schroth Enduros, the adjusters are more compact, they can be configured however you like with respect to terminations and number of anti-sub belts, and my last reweb was $75.  My first reweb was free.  I don't know if they still do that or not.

Also known as Safecraft Spec Miata harnesses and available from various sources, but I'd suggest contacting Safecraft directly and having a chat about which features you want.

https://www.safecraftracing.com/

9 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-09-21 10:18 AM)

[simply for information]

According to:

https://www.schrothracing.com/post/sfi- … tion-dates

At the end of the third paragraph under "FIA BELTS" (fairly near the top of the resource):

"... FIA does not permit re-webbing on their seat belts."

Detail about "SFI BELTS" follows that paragraph.

[edit]
I should also mention I read the 2016 FIA specification, [and the letter of update from the 1998 specification], and it mentions absolutely _nothing_ about "recertification" under its standard.

Well, I guess I always just assumed FIA belts could be re-certified just like SFI, thank you to those that corrected me. And thanks for the various suggestions. I guess we'll either pick an FIA to get a full 5 years, or we'll pick one of the SFI that we can keep renewing for a while, depends how picky we get with adjusters.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

cheseroo wrote:

There may be a conflict in your requirements.  I *think* FIA doesn't allow rewebbing/recert of harnesses.  Those Scroth/Sabelt/Willans/etc harnesses are really, really nice, expensive and you have to bin them after a couple years.  The new Crow Enduro line has nice adjusters and meets your requirements except they are SFI cert.  You probably can't order pull up off their site. Just call them and tell them what you want and they'll take care of you.  Nice people.  My last set arrived the next day.

Couldn’t have said it better. I agree, the latest/greatest from Crow is what we used on the Passat build this year. Going to order a set for the Benz also. Great belts to use and great service.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

I second the safecraft   they are same smooth belt quality that the Schroth has that makes them work so good imo.  They reweb sfi for cheap.  And you can get them to any spec you want as far as width and adjuster location, including the lap belt buckles being the adjuster which IMO should be the only way.

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

I to have 2 sets of Crow Enterprizes Enduro Quick change. Cam-lock, SFI, and $273.15 shipped. I got last year the new test setups and there newer one or very nice have nice shoulder pull down and the seat pulls are great USA made and very nice to just call and talk with any time . One thing you need to tell them if you wish the bolt in or quick removal ones. DRVOLKS. com

Another Crow convert. I used the terrible bargain basement belts a few times. Adjusting sucked. I sprung about twice that for a set of Crow belts with adjusters on the buckle. So much nicer.

That guy

The belts we're replacing are some HRX brand we got last second when we realized we weren't in spec for NJ, and they came with pull up adjusters. They are straight garbage. The lap belts are impossible to tighten, and even the shoulder adjusters will randomly lock up and refuse to loosen. Just pure garbage.

We took a shot with the crow belts, figure that even re-certifying them a couple times will be cheaper than the schroths or 5010. And if we're not pleased with them, well, it wasn't too expensive of a gamble and next time we'll buy the high end stuff.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

DRVOLKS wrote:

I to have 2 sets of Crow Enterprizes Enduro Quick change. Cam-lock, SFI, and $273.15 shipped. I got last year the new test setups and there newer one or very nice have nice shoulder pull down and the seat pulls are great USA made and very nice to just call and talk with any time . One thing you need to tell them if you wish the bolt in or quick removal ones. DRVOLKS. com

We like them as well.  We wanted the lap belt anchors sewn on and they do custom stuff like this without hassles.  Never going back to any other brand.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

We have been using RCI belts and the ones I received from Summit included a coupon to get them recertified for $20. After that they charge $60 to recertify. I'm not sure if all their belts come with the $20 coupon, but their 'platinum' one did.

They will even take anyone else's expired camlock belts and swap them for $100 including shipping ($60 to swap other manufacture's latch-style).

The ones I bought last were camlock, pull up lap belts and were incredibly easier to tighten compared to their pull down belts. It doesn't hurt that they're about the most inexpensive 5/6 point camlock SFI belts at Summit.

https://www.rciracing.com/5pt.html
https://www.rciracing.com/reweb.html
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RCI-9510CPL

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

While i'm very happy to hear pull ups work for you guys and that you're happy with your purchase,  If you ever use a style of the new so called "enduro" belts or any belt with the adjuster built into the lap buckle   you immediately never want anything else,  youve never felt more secure than actually being able to tighten the lap belt HARD!  its very secure feeling and amazing for anything with a driver change.  Just a heads up is all!

TrenchFoot wrote:

We have been using RCI belts and the ones I received from Summit included a coupon to get them recertified for $20. After that they charge $60 to recertify. I'm not sure if all their belts come with the $20 coupon, but their 'platinum' one did.

They will even take anyone else's expired camlock belts and swap them for $100 including shipping ($60 to swap other manufacture's latch-style).

The ones I bought last were camlock, pull up lap belts and were incredibly easier to tighten compared to their pull down belts. It doesn't hurt that they're about the most inexpensive 5/6 point camlock SFI belts at Summit.

https://www.rciracing.com/5pt.html
https://www.rciracing.com/reweb.html
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RCI-9510CPL

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

Couldn't agree more, I loathe pull up belts after our set. We got around the fact that they couldn't be tightened by hand by mounting our seat on the factory powered sliders. We'd get the belts as tight as we could, then slide the seat forward 2 inches and it would just suck the driver into the seat. Worked amazing for getting the driver in tight, but often put you at a non ideal distance to the wheel or pedals. We're looking forward to being able to use the sliders to get us in the right place, and then pulling the belts by hand to get them tight.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

rb92673 wrote:
johnjamesmiller wrote:

This. Vet owned business who manufacturers the restraints in the USA.

Yes this.  They are really nice folks who can make your belts however you like them.  Give them a call.