Re: Car search help for a newbie team

Don't be afraid to mount the main cage hoop well behind the B-pillar.
I didn't know that trick on my first build.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

fix valve cover leak maybe,

Change that to - fix valve cover leak "definitely"....

Normal driving, most valve cover leaks, the oil just oozes out and gets trapped by dirt or whatever else is stuck on the motor. Once you start revving and racing it though, the oil will always find the exhaust manifold and you'll get a wicked smoke show, and very possibly a black flag. Then you'll lose time in the pits having to fix that leak.

1991 VW Jetta #38 - cuz Whoopie Pie!

28 (edited by chaase 2020-10-29 01:59 PM)

Good luck with the build.

#5 should read...
5. Belts, kill switch, fire suppression system

If you don't know how to weld properly and in funny angles to get all welds done at a full 360 deg, I highly recommend finding a professional to do it all.

Other things to consider :
   defrosting front windshield - less of a problem if there is no glass at all in the car except from windshield or if you are keeping full dash and climate control system.
  make sure drivers door bars are setup to make ingress/egress as easy as possible.
  find a way to make electric fans run all the time (we also pull out the thermostat since it is a failure point)
  replace the brake light bulbs with new ones and keep old ones as backup.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

jeiting wrote:

4. Practice welding a buuuunnnnccchhhh. I want to get really comfortable before I even think about starting. If I don't get there, i'll pay someone to weld it in but I'm hoping to have a crack at it.

If you do end up hiring someone to do the welding,make damn sure they read (and re-read and then re-re-read) the "How not to fail tech"guide...
Do not,under any circumstances,let someone say "I know a better way....." "This is the way I want to do it..." or "I've built hundreds of cages my way,I know what I'm doing..."     That is the quickest way to fail tech...I've seen it too many times to count....
Nothing sucks more than seeing a new team get told they wont be racing with that cage on race weekend...or scrambling to re-do the cage on Friday night...

Just a helpful 'heads-up'

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

chaase wrote:

#5 should read...

True, a full suppression system is required, although in reference to the original wording there's nothing wrong with also having an extinguisher in the car.

chaase wrote:

find a way to make electric fans run all the time

Just so there's no misunderstanding, "all the time" still means that the fans have to be killed by the kill switch, along with every other component of the electrical system.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

31 (edited by chaase 2020-10-29 04:47 PM)

mharrell wrote:
chaase wrote:

#5 should read...

True, a full suppression system is required, although in reference to the original wording there's nothing wrong with also having an extinguisher in the car.

chaase wrote:

find a way to make electric fans run all the time

Just so there's no misunderstanding, "all the time" still means that the fans have to be killed by the kill switch, along with every other component of the electrical system.

Absolutely correct on both accounts. We keep the fans running if the ignition is on. We keep an extinguisher in the car as well

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

BigBird wrote:
jeiting wrote:

4. Practice welding a buuuunnnnccchhhh. I want to get really comfortable before I even think about starting. If I don't get there, i'll pay someone to weld it in but I'm hoping to have a crack at it.

If you do end up hiring someone to do the welding,make damn sure they read (and re-read and then re-re-read) the "How not to fail tech"guide...
Do not,under any circumstances,let someone say "I know a better way....." "This is the way I want to do it..." or "I've built hundreds of cages my way,I know what I'm doing..."     That is the quickest way to fail tech...I've seen it too many times to count....
Nothing sucks more than seeing a new team get told they wont be racing with that cage on race weekend...or scrambling to re-do the cage on Friday night...

Just a helpful 'heads-up'

Over all you are on the right track and its clear you have done your homework! excited to see you succeed!

Sharing some of my experience - I hope it goes better for you!

I tacked in my cage from rollcagecomponents and sent it to a pro to get completed. The "pro" totally butchered it. I almost did not get to race because of it.

I tacked most of the cage in myself. For the experience, for the challenge, to make sure bars were put in the right place, and to save some money. I fully welded the top of the a pillar bar to the halo and the top of the halo to the main hoop before tacking to the spreader plates. I left the rocker bar, some of the door bars and x brace lose so the pro could 360 weld the main hoop and a pillar bars to the spreader plates before welding in the rest. Guess what the "pro" did? haphazardly started welding the easy to get to stuff without any plan to make everything 360. I had to cut out the door bars and convince a good friend to spend a few hours in some really tight spots to get it all welded. I think we are still friends?

If I ever have to go threw this again im vetting a really solid pro and paying them good money to do it all 100%. I'd make sure you lay your hands on a previously built cage from the pro and then spend a good 30 minutes reviewing the how not to fail tech to make sure they very clearly understand requirements. Also probably try to get some guarantee it will pass the "email a million pictures to john pagel" test or they fix it for free.

33 (edited by Max 2020-10-30 10:06 AM)

I took our newly-caged but otherwise unfinished car to a Lemons race just to see if the cage would pass tech.  Turns out it would have failed so changes needed to be made.  I imagine for most this is not really an option but I'm very glad it was something I could do.  I would have gone the "email a million pictures to john pagel" route otherwise.

34 (edited by chaase 2020-10-30 01:21 PM)

Max wrote:

I took our newly-caged but otherwise unfinished car to a Lemons race just to see if the cage would pass tech.  Turns out it would have failed so changes needed to be made.  I imagine for most this is not really an option but I'm very glad it was something I could do.  I would have gone the "email a million pictures to john pagel" route otherwise.

Ask a local team to inspect the cage. I've been doing this long enough, and built numerous cages, that I can spot potential problem points in a Lemons cage. The areas in question can be sent to Pagel if needed for approval.

Before you go too hog wild on gutting the interior there are two things you want to keep at all cost and one that is a nice to have...

DEFROSTER with all the heater core related items...preferable also the OEM ducting, fan and switch but that is negotiable.
Windshield wipers or at least the driver side one.  Winshield washer gets newbie drivers on the track in trouble more often than it helps so feel free to remove that.

Nice to have is the bilevel vents on the drivers side.  Nothing is more comfy in 40 f monsoon race than having your race shoes dried by warm air while you look through your fog-free windshield.

Also in many other threads her and in the facepage, if you have the Ford interia fuel pump cut-off...remove and splice the wires together.

Alright. Spent some time today with Dad starting on the interior.

https://i.ibb.co/jMQLQpF/123301384-215061833371913-3998539253615361390-n.jpg https://i.ibb.co/Ttb3JV0/123364404-215404980004265-7631493451577856-n.jpg https://i.ibb.co/GQQZWF6/123514173-215404996670930-8034309261173035290-n.jpg

All and all pretty clean and easy. We did have to saw of one of the seatbelt bolts, but other than that no big issues. We're up to a $1.37 in found change which we'll add into the budget. We also found one packet of smarties from the late 90s that we won't be using.

I've been wanting to mess around with Shopify for a while, so I decided to experiment with a pop-up Tempo parts site. I registered and set up FordTempoParts.com and started uploading each part, tagged with a part number, as it comes off the car. No idea if this will work. Probably not.

With everything out I'm starting to see how we'll probably build the roll cage. There is a little step where the base of the rear seat used to sit. I'm thinking if we can put the main hoop there, it will work really nicely as a rocker box. I'll weld the the main bars to the main hoop then move it on top of the seat support. This is pretty far back from the race seat, so I'll need a seat brace. Before I order for cage parts, I'll draw up what I'm thinking and send it John. He's gonna love me. 

Next step is to order a seat and adjustable rails so we can fit it and start measuring for the cage.

Unless you have great welding skills and have done this before have a race shop do it. Take them the rules. Also have you r tallest driver sit in the car. Your helmet cannot be closer than 2' from any bar. Gut as much as you can so you have more room for the cage...starting with the doors. You want the door bars as far away as possible.  It would suck to get a cage in, make it to the race and fail tech.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Got the seat mounted in the car today and I'm starting to think about how I'll put in the cage

For the main hoop, there is a ledge where the rear seat sat, it's pretty far behind the B pillar, but is just about 6 inches from the seat (we'll need a brace). It's very strong, rust free, and flat. Would be easy to weld in spreader plates. The other advantage is that it's elevated, so it should allow me to drop the main hoop to the floor, weld in the halo easily, then lift it back up.

https://i.ibb.co/9nGBfCh/Clean-Shot-2020-11-07-at-18-06-15-2x.png

The tempo has a very protruding dash, but I think we can just cut out a section of it (marked by the yellow lines). The only thing there is the headlight control and a vent, which we can move/delete.

https://i.ibb.co/nPQG83k/Clean-Shot-2020-11-07-at-18-07-41-2x.png

From there I think we can run the down bars to the floor pretty easily, the floor there is pretty flat and strong. A dash bar might not be possible without something pretty bent / custom, but as I understand they aren't required.

For the backstays, there are a couple good places. The suspension towers or the trunk floor are both close to 45 degrees back and should be doable.

Planning on ordering a cage from roll cage components in the next few weeks. I went through the instructions and it seemed pretty straight forward. One thing I wasn't sure about was if they include some spacing from the roof or if I need to subtract a half inch to give us some buffer. I'll be sure to ask when I order.

I'd love you all to throw FUD on this plan if you can think of any.

Me? I'd remove the dash.  The step in the rear is the correct place to land your main hoop.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Search this forum for: "plinth"

... and maybe start with this one:
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … 39#p336539

41 (edited by OnkelUdo 2020-11-08 04:02 PM)

cheseroo wrote:

Me? I'd remove the dash.  The step in the rear is the correct place to land your main hoop.

We are about 50/50 on leavin or removing the dash.  Dustbuster, Esteem and '47 Plymouth all have most of their dash.  This is beneficial in saving the HVAC controls and ducts for defrost and bi-level (to dry our monsoon soaked race shoes).  Do bits of the dash get cut or broken out...sure.

4th gen Camero got the full dash removed as did the SC2 and there really is little advantage except good place for aftermarket gauges.

Cutting the dash ends like you proposed is perfect. After building somewhere in the teens of Lemons cars myself, I realized I REALLY like keeping the car street-legal with as much of the dash as possible. Nice to not have to figure out how to reattach all of the gauges, switches, radio and hvac controls. Just use the stock stuff that was designed for idiots in passenger cars to not die. you will likely find that on the driver's side there are some fuses or flashers or other electrical doodads on that end of the dash, so just unscrew the mounts if there are some, cut away, then reattach those doodads in that general area. It's also a good place to run the battery cutoff switch cables to a switch mounted right there by your left hand that can be reached by someone outside the car as well as the belted in driver. If I'm knocked out, I want whoever comes to rescue me to also hit the kill switch and pull the extinguisher. If it's right there by the A-pillar, it's a no-brainer.

I've faced similar dilemmas with the Hoop location. Sometimes I have put it up on the rear seat area, but lately much of the time I do sort of an inverted box in that corner (plate up the side and the back and vertical planes in that corner and put the spreader plate on the floor) often because right there under the seat bottom has been a fuel tank and fuel lines or the rear subframe so that when I inevitably catch the undercoating on fire while welding there, it is harder to put out or even notice in the first place. i can stuff something up in the vertical space on the underside of the car while welding the vertical plates to protect the tank /subframe bushings if I'm too stupid and lazy to remove it.

You're in a Tempo. This isn't going to be something that dialing in every ounce of perfection on will see you getting closer to an overall victory, so any weight savings or other perceived performance benefit you may be enticed to get by removing the dash and the hvac will be offset by the sheer pita removing all of that stuff will bring with having to then having to deal with all that remains.  Also, if you leave it and then at some later date you decide Hey, I'm going to go Ricky Racer on it now, you can remove it after the cage is in and while you're rewiring everything for your SuperMondoTurbo V16 powerplant.

you need to remove that entire dash and gut those doors down to the skin. You want the "Nascar" door bars as far away as possible.

44 (edited by bobnowoc 2020-11-09 09:35 AM)

Keep the dash like Spank said
Skin the driver side door like Yuck said.  You want the driver side door impact bars of the roll cage as far away from you as possible.  The other 3 dont really matter.  Keep the other 3, or skin them.  Either way.

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Mr.Yuck wrote:

you need to remove that entire dash and gut those doors down to the skin. You want the "Nascar" door bars as far away as possible.

disagree.

It's a WANT not a NEED or Requirement

I made the choice to NOT gut my doors for the last few builds. But I did cut or remove the arm rest so I could still push out the bars as far as I could to the inner metal door skin. I lose maybe 3" of additional space between the bars and the seat by not gutting the inner doorskin, but I get to keep my window for street use and while storing the car.  I feel that lost space may be somewhat offset by maintaining the designed-in strength / integrity of the complete factory boxed-in doorframe versus having just a single sheet of steel skin between the doorbars and the outside of the car and the door become a bit noodly.

Personal choice and perhaps a difference in design philosophy: I'm not a trained engineer so I approach caging the car as a means to augment the already designed-in safety and factory crash structure features of a car rather than look to replace them with something better of my own design.  I recognize the flaw in this thinking, however, in that the complete car and ALL of it's features are designed as a system and one change to any single part of the system (like replacing the factory seat belt or even the driver seat and removing airbags) totally nullifies whatever it was the original engineers designed in... So, yea, I've got no leg to stand on. It is just what I feel is "right" for me at the time.

Spank.  +1

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Spank wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

disagree.

It's a WANT not a NEED or Requirement

I made the choice to NOT gut my doors for the last few builds. But I did cut or remove the arm rest so I could still push out the bars as far as I could to the inner metal door skin. I lose maybe 3" of additional space between the bars and the seat by not gutting the inner doorskin, but I get to keep my window for street use and while storing the car.  I feel that lost space may be somewhat offset by maintaining the designed-in strength / integrity of the complete factory boxed-in doorframe versus having just a single sheet of steel skin between the doorbars and the outside of the car and the door become a bit noodly.

Personal choice and perhaps a difference in design philosophy: I'm not a trained engineer so I approach caging the car as a means to augment the already designed-in safety and factory crash structure features of a car rather than look to replace them with something better of my own design.  I recognize the flaw in this thinking, however, in that the complete car and ALL of it's features are designed as a system and one change to any single part of the system (like replacing the factory seat belt or even the driver seat and removing airbags) totally nullifies whatever it was the original engineers designed in... So, yea, I've got no leg to stand on. It is just what I feel is "right" for me at the time.

If I could post a pix I'll show you why you need to gut the drivers door.. also keep in mind a light car is faster and handles better and is easier on parts. The door impact bars in our F-body were probably 30lbs each....he has 4. Also that dash needs to be hacked up unless you want the a-pillar bar by your knee cap.  I'd try and get the car as light as possible.

https://ibb.co/2Yyspqm

I use postimages.org

They have a "hotlink for forums" selection which allows the pics to be displayed without needing to click an unknown link.

Your link did display when selected

50 (edited by Spank 2020-11-10 11:13 AM)

Mr.Yuck wrote:

https://ibb.co/2Yyspqm

So so glad that your doorbars protected your occupant. That indeed could have been very ugly. Looks like you made the right choice for your team and your car.

Do you have a pic that shows how close the doorbars are to the outside of the car BEFORE the crash? Looks to me that they are inline with the inner door skin/door sill in your attached/linked pic