Topic: Ford Inertial Fuel Shutoff Safety Switch

Most Fords for the last 30+ years have a Inertial Switch that disables the fuel pump in case of a significant impact. Do these cause problems in Lemons Race Cars? If so, what do you do to avoid problems? Can you jumper the connection to eliminate the switch?

Ed

Re: Ford Inertial Fuel Shutoff Safety Switch

I by passed the inertia switch in our 1996 crown vic.

The inertia whitch in ours was mounted in the trunk.
It is a momentary interruption switch, so i just jumpered the connection,
I cut the wire, 2 inches short of the switch in the trunk and spliced them together.  That was it

Car started right up

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

In one of the cars I swapped in a Ford 2.3T EFI into, I moved the location of the switch where the driver could reach it.  Doing this will give you the safety of having it and the ability to re-set it if it trips or fails.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

The driver has a big switch that turns off everything including the fuel pump. You don't need the crash trip anymore. Short wire it and be done.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

The driver has a big switch that turns off everything including the fuel pump. You don't need the crash trip anymore. Short wire it and be done.

If the driver is not knocked out, I guess that would work.....

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Don't Fords have a fuel pump relay that is turned off if the ECU detects the engine is no longer spinning?  Do you need redundant safety systems on a race car?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

Don't Fords have a fuel pump relay that is turned off if the ECU detects the engine is no longer spinning?  Do you need redundant safety systems on a race car?

If the engine stops running, I guess that would work......