1 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-11-05 11:43 PM)

Topic: BMW E46: dead battery, locked trunk // Fix: good voltage to actuator

edit:

From subject line:

"- broken key in trunk cylinder"
^ may not be accurate - it may be just that I only have a 'valet' key, but since it now opens, I don't need to test it further.

Final:
With the battery charged and the doors unlocked, I didn't even need the key turned in the ignition for the button on the trunk lid to unlock the trunk.
/edit

bluf:

Is there an access from the passenger compartment without cutting?

More:

New-to-me, Impound car. I can get a clean title for it, and it doesn't look like it's that far from a daily. But this might be more than I want to get into. The research I did lead me to believe it was a manual, not the auto that I found. I'm disappointed.

My login expired during my venting post, so there's a lot of detail I'm leaving out; however, that also means no one gets lost...

I finally got into the vehicle [broke the rr window], and I have a dealer-supplied key. And a jump of the _completely_ dead battery [positive post in the engine compartment] actually got it started.

I don't know what's in the trunk - I'm just assuming the impound vehicle was K-9 searched, so I think I'm good on that front, but I don't know what's there. And if any release is blocked by material.

Any idea?

Re: BMW E46: dead battery, locked trunk // Fix: good voltage to actuator

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SMAx24VBJqM

1st idea

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KF0_7NOjnl0

2nd

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9E2RXcYM1nA

3rd

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCghrONfZw

2B

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Thanks Bob!

No one (me, and two tow guys) knew there was an inside release button. The label is gone, and nothing happened when I pushed the plastic piece. It didn't move - thought it was just trim. There's no manual in the car, it's literally my first time inside a BMW, and I didn't find anything in the shop manual yet.

That gives me hope. Maybe I'll keep it instead of gutting it and turning it into a race car. Or scrapping it.

Pull the plastic piece

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

An electric lock actuator energized by a cable? Or a pull switch? Crazy German engineering. Maybe it's because of the battery in the back; I don't know - just seems overboard to me. I'll try it in the morning. Thanks.

No.
I was talking about
1. Sit in the back seAt
2. Remove the center back rest cushion
3. Break through to the trunk
4. Use a hanger or hook to pull the glow in the dark emergency release

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Ok, that makes a lot more sense.

Three long days in a row, and an overnight computer emergency my mother had has made me foggy, and I still can't sleep.

I didn't do anything about the battery initially because of the time it took to get into the car, to get it local, and the broken glass in the back seat. I just wanted to get it covered before the heavy rain today.

Broken rear window, driver's window half open, sunroof had been pried on a corner, and was open. And the water in the car already.

I'll have tools and jumper cables with me today - then I'll see what I have.

Thanks for your patience with me today.

Trapped!:

https://i.postimg.cc/bvLMfxsq/20201030-151807.jpg

Whatever is in the trunk is trapped. I'll look into removing a speaker [but it's bolted with inside-hex-head bolts - WHO USES THESE?]. If necessary I can cut that metal bulkhead no problem.

I had a reacher, and I can reach to the back of the trunk, but only _over_ whatever is in there. It's dense but soft goods, probably bags of clothes. There's only that inch-plus hole, but there's lining behind it.

No start:

I brought a large battery and cables, attached it to the jump posts, and let it sit for a while. Tried to start it, and still no go.

First time with a BMW, maybe it's just a low voltage because of the completely dead battery in the trunk.

If so, because what I usually hear is a "clicking" sound and this is a rapid "thunk" sound, which I never heard before, hopefully it's just a matter of charging the battery enough with an external to get it to start.

The local dealer wanted me to tow it in. I spoke with a service advisor who, after listening to the background on the vehicle, had no ideas why it won't start. He said they would need to go through their diagnostic procedure - which I understand; I was only looking for the quick suggestions he'd give to a valued customer. If that means I'm on the right track, that's great.

MythBusters breached a safe by filling it with water and then using an explosive charge. You could try that. Alternatively a cut hole in the trunk lid would give access to mechanism. Lots of E46s in junkyards. Go to a yard and practice (not the cut hole part). At least get a really good look at the inner workings. Wouldn’t be hard to find replacement trunk lid in correct color 

Have fun.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

Local U-Pull-it no longer allows sawzalls, much less explosives.

First I'll try going through a speaker.

Then I'll cut that center panel - it's perfed already.

I have plenty of sheet metal to cover the hole again. If I get frisky, maybe I'll even trim it and make a ski sleeve for the next owner.

Just a couple of small cuts, punch out the panel, and what's in the trunk is ready to escape:

https://i.postimg.cc/mZpmtPgg/20201031-162515.jpg

... but there's no glow-in-the-dark trunk release. There is a tool kit under the trunk lid, though.

Looks like the valet key isn't what's needed to get it started again.

It might be time for a full fob, but there's so much damage, including water intrusion.

Should I Lemons this instead?:

https://i.postimg.cc/MKcdRznb/20201031-180400.jpg

This video will show you what the glow in the dark release looks lkke.  Watch to the end to see a large photo of its exact location.  I still think you should be able to reach it from the back seat.

https://youtu.be/YF1DSVFPGZ8

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

To reach it from the back seat, you will need a medium sized hook, a broom handle, a strong flashlight, and duck tape.

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

---------------lite------------c

Assemble like so..

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Oh, no no no. There's really no glow-in-the-dark trunk release. I just didn't take a picture, as it was dinnertime, and I had only had coffee in the morning.

What was in the trunk, and is now _not_:

3 basketballs, _slightly_ deflated, which was good, because that allowed me to get them out of the trunk.
5 insulated delivery bags, various services
2 changes of clothes
1 roll 3M tape
1 tape measure
3/8" ratchet and extension, no sockets, aftermarket
1 screwdriver
2 jackets
The Owners manual
1 pay stub for someone, with SSAN [I'll burn this]
1 towel
3 microfiber wipes
1 ignition coil
2 spark plugs
1 qt. Oil
1 gal.euro coolant, unopened
1 plastic panel - I don't know where it comes from, it's to large to fit through the opening
OBDII reader - functions
inexpensive jumper cables
Broken flashlight, good quality, though
Various other things that went into the trash bag.

I can see into the trunk - I had one of the harbor freight $39 ($29 on sale) LED rect. 3000 lumen panel lights shining through the speaker hole, after I also removed the red perf'd panel. And I had a jack crank handle to reach things. I can put my whole arm into the trunk.

There's no pull handle.

In your latest video link, you can see an oval grey plastic panel near the pull handle. I was able to open that with a bent wire and the crank handle turning the latch - that's where what looks like an OEM tool set is - it's incorporated into the top side of that plastic panel.

I didn't have a strong enough hook (with a sharp enough edge) to pull off the lining of the trunk lid, but that might be my next task.

And the owner's manual doesn't mention a pull handle.

20 (edited by bobnowoc 2020-11-01 09:09 PM)

I dont know brother.

Here is the last one i found, but its not your bmw model.

https://youtu.be/gad-o8sYkOQ

Good luck.
Bob

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Every new car is manufactured with the glow in the dark pull handle.  It might have been removed by a previous destructive owner, but it was there when new.  It is a law that you must be able To open trunk from inside the trunk.

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Can you give us photos from inside the trunk, shot from the back seat?

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Crap. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the first video you linked. If there _are_ seat release handles, and I can release them with the trunk closed (instead of open like in the video), since I still have the speaker out that should be easy enough.
That gets me into the trunk, and that gets me to the battery(yay!) and the interior trim, and that gets me to the latch, and that opens the trunk.
Thanks again for your patience.

bobnowoc wrote:

Every new car is manufactured with the glow in the dark pull handle.  It might have been removed by a previous destructive owner, but it was there when new.  It is a law that you must be able To open trunk from inside the trunk.

Wasn't mandatory until 2002.

Crap. Base BMW. No fold-down seats.

I spoke to a local BMW fan mechanic, who thinks I'm likely having a voltage problem with the dead battery in the trunk, which might be causing the no start. He thinks it's possible it'll start if there's enough juice like from a jump pack.
Regardless, that still doesn't get me into the trunk to r&r the battery, because even if I do get it started, I only have a valet key, not a master, which I do not expect to let me open the trunk; otherwise, why valet?

So it seems like another trip to the dealer for a master-key-with-fob is in my near future.