Topic: Will my windshield pass tech?

https://imgur.com/a/ASycHEf

Learned that hood pins should be in place before going back on track. The cracks are actually on the inside where the hood hit the wiper. Crack is not in line of sight really. Do I need to replace it?
Thanks!

El Capitan of Team Corky
94 Miata transitioning to BRG because she now identifies as a Lotus previously covered in cork as Mazda/Toyo Kogyo tribute then painted like the Queen's coffin
4 time tire raffle winner. (So I got that goin for me which is nice)

2 (edited by RSB 2020-11-04 11:33 AM)

Re: Will my windshield pass tech?

Its a crapshoot. We had similar damage to our windshield, no one noticed it the first time we brought it to the track with a massive, top-to-bottom crack, but at the next race the inspector (I think it was Dale) saw it and said 'get it fixed for next time', which we did.

Its really up to how closely the inspector is looking, and how much of a hard-ass they want to be. Even if its not in the drivers field of view, they can argue that the windshield has lost all structural integrity and may collapse from a minor hit.

Your damage looks pretty substantial. If you roll the dice and its a hard NO from tech, then you are stuck.

We have a strict system for the hood pins - when they come off the car, they go under the windshield wiper in front of the driver. This way, they don't get lost, and the driver should see them if they are forgotten.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

If it were mine I'd replace it. That looks bad enough either to fail tech as-is or at least to pose a significant risk of suddenly propagating to a tech-failing extent.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Lots of window installers on Craigslist.  When you tell them you don't need fancy trim or tinting, you can get it done pretty cheap.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

5 (edited by derekste 2020-11-04 03:22 PM)

Let's work this backwards: why wouldn't you replace it.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LMIS20/328-DSC_9284.jpg

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

It's just going to get worse.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Last page:

https://24hoursoflemons.com/wp-content/ … 040419.pdf

That looks like it could go either way Pass/Fail, but it's only getting worse.
You don't need a windshield installer. Do it yourself with Windshield Removal Kit
and some 3M 08609 Window-Weld Super Fast Urethane Black Cartridge - 10.5 fl oz.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

We did that when rescuing the K-car from its middle of Ohio Prison.

It sounds easier than it is in practice. If you can, have somebody who does it every day do it. Or load up your swear tank!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport