Topic: E46, auto, 189k; worth going Lemons?

Impound 323i. Charged the battery and it starts no problem. Runs smooth, but CEL. Thought it was a manual, so I'm disappointed.

I put air in the last tire that was flat, and drove it around the parking lot.

I must say I'm surprised at the acceleration, but even more impressive is how tight the front end is. The back, also. Just a little scraping from the rr brakes, but quiet otherwise.

Are BMW auto tranny's reasonably durable for Lemons?

I'm thinking of 'pushing the easy button'.

Re: E46, auto, 189k; worth going Lemons?

Intake leaks are common from perished rubber bits.  Lower intake boot common fail.  I have a couple E46s.  Made a DIY smoke tester with one of these HF transfer pumps, rubber glove over the intake and a cigar https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use … 63144.html  A code reader will tell you that you have a leak but the smoke will tell you where from.  Otherwise you just place parts roulette.  No help as to whether the auto trans stands up to track use.  There's plenty of E46s in the junkyard if not

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

The auto trans can hold up for Lemons use. We had one in our e36 for at least 3 races when it started to go (maybe more than that). We didn't want to keep the auto anyway, so we didn't make any effort to make it last, but I suspect that if you put it on a good cooler you could make it last a lot longer (and nobody will give a crap about the budget spend on an automatic transmission cooler). The biggest cost on a trans cooler solution is typically the pump, but have a look at the factory trans cooler that BMW used on the late 00's SMG equipped cars (e60 M5 and e603/64 M6, I think), as it has an integrated pump that makes for a fairly robust and compact solution, although the conversion from metric thread to AN fittings can be tricky, but solutions can be found if you're crafty. Otherwise, just slap on an aftermarket trans cooler and pump and you should be good to go if you can find a way to get the fluid and and out reliably. That may be the toughest part -- I haven't looked at the BMW automatic box since we pulled that one.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Just swap it to a manual and be done with it.  E46's are plentiful.  323i m52ru is a decent engine

Push the hard button instead.

Be a legend, not a lemming.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Update:

The CEL went out, and it's running nicely now; go figure....

I'm thinking maybe it'll be my next daily for a while; I have another project already.

majo wrote:

Oddly, we are doing both.  One hand on the WTF button and the other on Easy button...

But my esteemed fellow racer nad foolish car builder is not wrong, once you have gone obscure it is really hard to go back to ordinary.

OnkelUdo wrote:
majo wrote:

Oddly, we are doing both.  One hand on the WTF button and the other on Easy button...

But my esteemed fellow racer nad foolish car builder is not wrong, once you have gone obscure it is really hard to go back to ordinary.

I'm glad I went E36 for my first race car. It's hard enough to learn to race/keep car running/radios?/fluids(car-human)/howtopitstop/how to not crash/transponder-what/layers of clothes/fire-bad. If you think you might be overwhelmed by all of that and want to free up some cycles - it's not a bad way to go.