Topic: Noob with a 97 S10 Story

I bout my truck back in December 2017 for 1500 bucks. Everything worked but the hazards. Heater core eventually failed, but I dedicate myself to fixing other people’s problems.  Now in February some old and blind snowbird decided to drive right into me when he changed his mind about waiting at the red light to turn into Walmart while I’m driving south on US19. They say “Floridians are the worst drivers”... noooo there’s a bunch of bad drivers form somewhere where it snows and they come here. They drive around all lost with nowhere to be and make life more difficult for those of us who know where we’re going and have to get there. 

So one of these people who are not a Floridian crashed into my truck and I got 1851 dollars for to fix the truck. Couldn’t find a decent and honest asshoke to work for so I spent that money instead of getting it fixed. Now the AC stopped and the tail lights and brake lights don’t work. Like I said before, I would rather worry about someone else’s problems. I drive this truck like a I stole it and it’s time to retire it on the streets. I’m like a kid again, I gotta be home before the street lights come on. 

Now on to the questions!

Anybody ran any s10s? Anybody want to get involved in running an s10? Anybody with any advice about running  Japan powered sports car with a truck bed and advanced rid height?

I’m located in Florida, I was pit crew in IMSA for all of 7 weeks and 3 events.  Manager bought Chinese lug nuts which got stuck in the pit socket so he I am smashing an impact on the ground in the pits at LAGUNA SECA when there should be a GS Camaro tearing back into the track!!!!  I’ve wanted to race since Gran Turismo 3 came out on PS2 and my short race career was a pretty shitty experience.

So I would really like to find a team who gives a shit. If I could, I would buy a plane ticket back from Atlanta on the 14th in case I killed it and drive this this thing on my own but I know there much more to it than that.  So that’s why I’m here.

One more question... Any Thoughts?

Oh yea, hey everyone!!
I’m Louken.

Re: Noob with a 97 S10 Story

1.  Yes, you can race a s 10
2. No, do not come to Atlanta unless you are on a team.  Due to carona virus, all spectators have been banned.  Only drivers and crew are allowed.
3. Go read all the rules.
4. Print off all the rules.
5. Read them again 2 more times
6. Print "How to not fail Tech"
7. Read that 3 times
8. Visit ,"Teams looking for drivers"
9. Post on Drivers looking for teams.
10.  Look at your budget.  The truck may cost you $500, but the safety equipment will be an additional $3,000 to $5,000
11. Read any post with the word "Budget" in the title.
12.  Continue to post here and ask questions.  We want to help you.

Bob

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

There have been multiple S10s run, even some 2nd gens.  2.2 or 4.3?  4L60E or manual?  2wd or 4?  Obviously, a 2wd 4.3 5-speed is going to be your best bet, but, that doesn't mean you can't race the others.  Regular cabs can be difficult to cage, but, I believe it can be done.  Run a search here and you should find plenty of info.  With one of these, you'll not only need to keep it cool, you'll also really, really need to get used to the idea of keeping the revs down if you want it to have a chance of living. 

Too bad you're in Florida!  I'm parting out an '04 Blazer, I believe they have better front brakes and rear discs that the S-10s didn't get.  But, you should be able to get the parts you need from a yard (to bolt new calipers, rotors, and pads to) pretty easily.

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"It's got a van motor, a 220 cubic inch plant, it's got van tires, van suspension, van shocks. It's a model with the catalytic converters ripped out so
     it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it a racecar or what?" - Blues Brothers, Probably

So, my truck was bad now it’s worse. Raining this evening on my way home from work and someone totally missed their turn. I know that spot is always oily cause of the amount of people always accelerating and decelerating dumping their fluids on the street.  There’s certainly no turning back now, 

Glad to know that i could find another purpose for my truck. It’s either junk it or bring it to run with the other Lemons next year. I guess I need to incentivize a welder/driver before I can plan the shenanigans. From working in the race shop when I was younger, I remember chromoly tube isn’t cheap! I also know that restraints and fires systems aren’t cheap either. I’ve installed a them but haven’t ever seen what it would cost. Maybe I’m being too optimistic with my +351 dollar debit.  thanks Bob!

Mthew_m, thanks for the advice on the brakes, yes some of later 2nd gen blazers do have the rear discs, owned one that was 4 wheel drive, I guess the rear axle out of one would be a goos option if there’s any chance of being competitive.   Mine is an extended cab 4cyl 5spd.  It’s is incredibly slow,  but I have gotten comfortable driving it the last few years so I know it’s limits... 92 miles an hour is one of them smile. I don’t know what the rev limit is (no tach) but I pin it every day.

It does like to run on the hot side since I run it low on oil. Took me a while to decide o that being better than pulling the motor or jacking the cab and pulling the oil pump to do the oil pan gasket. Low oil level is a very easy compromise and I really hate working on my own stuff. I know this would have to be fixed to run on a circuit otherwise the 3qts of oil wouldn’t be enough to keep the engine cool through the constant abuse and any more than that, the truck will be slicking the track.

I do have at least one friend I would for sure be be able to recruit as a participant, I am able to leave them in the dust on the kart track, but he’s the only one I know would be a for sure yes on getting involved.  If anybody knows anyone in central Florida who wants to drive something silly on track, send them my way.

5 (edited by bobnowoc 2020-11-12 06:37 PM)

Here is the hypothetical budget.

Old timers,  please add and subtract as you see fit.

I dont know everything, but i wanna get Jr here into the ball park.

Roll cage. $1000
Fire supression system $450
Seat $150
Belts. $75
Gas cans. $35 x 4
Helmet $250
Fire suit $150
Fire shoes $75
Fire gloves $25
Fire socks $15
Hans device $300+
Lemons license $75
Lemons admission $1470
4 more rims. (You want 8 total)
8 tires
Brakes
Rotors
Additional engine cooling

So, if you are gonna join us,  and you should join us, please think twice about what you said "she runs a little hot since I ran it low on oil once"

It would be a shame to overheat on your first race

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Nope - he didn't say "once"

He runs it low on oil because of a leaking oil pan gasket

and is responsibly concerned about oiling the track.

Good catch L.N.M.

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

And i dont know if the cage tube needs to be chromoly tube

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Doesn't:

"DOM mild steel is very strongly recommended over ERW (seamed) tubing."

But I don't see it prohibited.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Doesn't:

"DOM mild steel is very strongly recommended over ERW (seamed) tubing."

But I don't see it prohibited.

Chromoly is not prohibitted (straight from John Pagel) but you WILL get a ton of extra scrutiny on your cage welds and bends if it is used.  Without actually prohibitting he so strongly suggested it not be used so I would suspect your odds of using it successfully are about 10% if he is doing tech at your race.

bobnowoc wrote:

Roll cage. $1000
Seat $150
Belts. $75
Gas cans. $35 x 4
Helmet $250
Fire suit $150
Fire shoes $75
Fire gloves $25
Fire socks $15
Hans device $300+
Lemons license $75
Lemons admission $1470
8 tires
Brakes
Rotors

So, if you are gonna join us,  and you should join us, please think twice about what you said "she runs a little hot since I ran it low on oil once"

Kill switch - $50.00
misc wire, connectors, hardware, etc - $100.00
seat - likely more unless it mounts to stock rails w/o adapter.
cage - a lot more if you not a good welder

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:
bobnowoc wrote:

Roll cage. $1000     maybe $750 if you do your own, ~$2500-3000 if you don't
Seat $150         this would be a cheap seat.  i'd expect $300-400
Belts. $75                >$100
Gas cans. $35 x 4      $20 apiece for crappy normal ones,  $50 for fast pour race jugs
Helmet $250           $180
Fire suit $150         >$200 for SFI-5, or add another $100 for underlayer
Fire shoes $75       
Fire gloves $25
Fire socks $15
Hans device $300+      $259.16
Lemons license $75
Lemons admission $1470
4 more rims. (You want 8 total)      I'd say 6, total, if you're on a budget and have an S-10
8 tires               
Brakes
Rotors

Kill switch - $50.00         $25
misc wire, connectors, hardware, etc - $100.00
seat - likely more unless it mounts to stock rails w/o adapter.
cage - a lot more if you not a good welder

I added my take in bold above.
There's also a lot of budget-exempt preventative maintenance that is well worth the additional effort/cost if you're already going to spend all this money to get there.  I'm sure there's several threads about such things.   Wheel bearings, brake lines, fuel lines, etc.
Also worth it for some budget-included maintenance too:  belts, hoses, maybe oil pump, water pump, alternator.

bobnowoc wrote:

Roll cage. $1000
Seat $150
Belts. $75
Gas cans. $35 x 4
Helmet $250
Fire suit $150
Fire shoes $75
Fire gloves $25
Fire socks $15
Hans device $300+
Lemons license $75
Lemons admission $1470
8 tires
Brakes
Rotors

roll cage is going to be close to $4000 unless you are doing it, and if you never have then don't even try it. that is the most important part of the build. Seat is going to be around $400, another thing you don't want to skimp on, Hans is closer to $500...

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

14 (edited by OnkelUdo 2020-11-17 01:36 PM)

Mr.Yuck wrote:
bobnowoc wrote:

roll cage is going to be close to $4000 unless you are doing it, and if you never have then don't even try it. that is the most important part of the build. Seat is going to be around $400, another thing you don't want to skimp on, Hans is closer to $500...

HANS can be that cheap and still a quality unit...Stand21 from Demontweaks.  Cage at 4K is the middle of the high end...regional I am sure but professionally built cages to Lemons spec's are closer to $2500-3000 mentioned by someone else around here.  Skilled welder you trust + tubing notcher + RCC custom made kit...the $1000 mentioned is very achieveable and the $750 mentioned means the skilled welder is on the team and works for beer.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
bobnowoc wrote:

HANS can be that cheap and still a quality unit...Stand21 from Demontweaks.  Cage at 4K is the middle of the high end...regional I am sure but professionally built cages to Lemons spec's are closer to $2500-3000 mentioned by someone else around here.  Skilled welder you trust + tubing notcher + RCC custom made kit...the $1000 mentioned is very achieveable and the $750 mentioned means the skilled welder is on the team and works for beer.

our cage was $3600 in 2015. 1.75 DOM , NASCAR door bars and Petty bar. This is why you don't skimp. this was at maybe 75mph. https://i.ibb.co/DQm3jTQ/wreck.jpg

Mr.Yuck wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

our cage was $3600 in 2015. 1.75 DOM , NASCAR door bars and Petty bar. This is why you don't skimp. this was at maybe 75mph. https://i.ibb.co/DQm3jTQ/wreck.jpg

There is a difference between "cheaping out" and getting the same quality through alternative means from the one you chose.  My first cage comment was not even even that...it was a comment on regionality.  I would put the safety of two out of three of our cages done with an RCC kit and installed by an exceptional welder all for about $750 when you include consuables up against many expensive professionally built cages.  The other one...we made some design choices I would not longer make but the QUALITY is still there.

We have also had the same group, at the same price point, install cages for other Lemons teams with high compliments from tech.

So i totally agree with doing a high quality cage and would say that the NASCAR bars or bowed out X bars are a really good idea.  Petty bar...not as convinced.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

There is a difference between "cheaping out" and getting the same quality through alternative means from the one you chose.  My first cage comment was not even even that...it was a comment on regionality.  I would put the safety of two out of three of our cages done with an RCC kit and installed by an exceptional welder all for about $750 when you include consuables up against many expensive professionally built cages.  The other one...we made some design choices I would not longer make but the QUALITY is still there.

We have also had the same group, at the same price point, install cages for other Lemons teams with high compliments from tech.

So i totally agree with doing a high quality cage and would say that the NASCAR bars or bowed out X bars are a really good idea.  Petty bar...not as convinced.

Plus our car is pushing 3000lbs with driver and gas.... added to the price.

Mr.Yuck wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

Plus our car is pushing 3000lbs with driver and gas.... added to the price.

All but the Esteem and the long gone Saturn...right there with you.

For a better price on the fire suppression system, Discovery Parts in Georgia carries the SPA AFFF system for $400 including shipping (same one and same price as Lemons store, but free shipping).  If you use the "Thank-You10" code with your order, it is 10% off = $360.

Paid $2500 for our cage (1.75 DOM, bowed out door bars, dash and rear lower cross bars included) at a professional race cage shop since none of us weld, and often get compliments from tech inspectors.