1 (edited by Limonaid 2020-11-30 02:18 PM)

Topic: Rule changes for 2021?

Are there any rule changes for 2021?

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Re: Rule changes for 2021?

They have not sent the email that there is...yet.  I assume they will send at least the clarification that Snell 2010 helmets are no longer allowed but who knows other than that.

My guess is, no new rules for the rule...um, pamphlet, but potentially some verbiage around respecting condition -specific rules (COVID 19 restrictions as the current example).

Anyone heard anything more on this?

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

I'm guessing we didn't have enough races in 2020 for the series to discover any new and exciting insurance requirements. Unless there was another terrifying collision at a California race that I missed...

I wouldn’t be surprised if Window nets are soon mandated after the wreck at MSR Houston. We’re putting one on.

Bricoop wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Window nets are soon mandated after the wreck at MSR Houston. We’re putting one on.

Window nets are tricky, because they also become an extra barrier to rapid exit of the vehicle in an emergency, which can become a liability in itself. Not saying they wouldn't mandate them, but I've heard that argument as to why they aren't mandated already.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I still have my left arm because of the window net that was in my circle track car in 1999. I was spun by one car, hit by another and went for a roll.  My hand and arm hit the net, I know that for sure, and my helmet might have as well. Similar stuff can happen in LeMon's.  Fires are the only real reason you would need to egress quickly, but fires are only in a very small percentage of incidents. 

IMHO a proper window net that is properly installed is far more likely to help prevent injury than impede egress.

The question becomes, IF window nets are made mandatory, will it require factory made hardware and releases or can we still use an old seat belt buckle?  Asking for a friend......

BTW: LeMon's needs to ban the "dead pedal" starting in 2021.  If you need a dead pedal to stay in your seat, you don't know how to properly use your harness, and that is far more dangerous than almost anything else.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

-SDR- wrote:

Fires are the only real reason you would need to egress quickly, but fires are only in a very small percentage of incidents.

Though this is true, fire has the highest potential for serious, long-term injury or death in our type of race.  I am neither for or against window nets but I was totally for fire suppression because it has only one downside...cost.

We have mitgated the most common causes of life-altering injury with the current rules.  Containment seats and window nets are the next possible improvements but I am not convinced about either.

Window nets also prevent things from entering the vehicle. Like a tire from a tirewall.

I have club raced since 1988 and always with a window net. I wouldn't race a car without one. Arm restraints are OK but I prefer a net. I don't see how they would impede exit from a car if the release is installed correctly. A net that drops down is best but I have a release at both ends just in case of a rollover. Quick exit from a car that just rolled over is not going to happen, with or without a net.

I agree with Mike K. on containment seats. They are fine for oval racing where the seat can be fitted to a single driver. In Lemons you have multiple drivers of various sizes and some drivers will have their vision blocked by the "wings" of a containment seat. I'd rather see what's around me at all times and mirrors can only do so much.

I raced a car in Lemons with a containment seat a couple of years ago. I could see ahead, and to the drivers side somewhat but behind me and to the pass. side I was totally blind.  It was not a good experience.

OnkelUdo wrote:
-SDR- wrote:

Fires are the only real reason you would need to egress quickly, but fires are only in a very small percentage of incidents.

Though this is true, fire has the highest potential for serious, long-term injury or death in our type of race.  I am neither for or against window nets but I was totally for fire suppression because it has only one downside...cost.

We have mitgated the most common causes of life-altering injury with the current rules.  Containment seats and window nets are the next possible improvements but I am not convinced about either.

An arm outside though a open window has a high potential for serious, long-term injury to said arm.  I'm glad I did not suffer injury because of my window net.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

-SDR- wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
-SDR- wrote:

An arm outside though a open window has a high potential for serious, long-term injury to said arm.  I'm glad I did not suffer injury because of my window net.

Bill

I worded my response carefully but probably not carefully enough.  In all our cars with stock, not cut down, doors and with our experience with fires...I should have said "I believe though this is true, fire has the highest potential for serious, long-term injury or death in our type of race with most cars that have intact full height doors."

Bricoop wrote:

Window nets also prevent things from entering the vehicle. Like a tire from a tirewall.

I'm actually more concerned about the team captain's shockingly blasé attitude in regards to that whole situation. 

As far as mandating window nets/containment seats, I don't see either happening.  That said, there is nothing keeping those that insist on those devices from installing them.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Bricoop wrote:

What Happened at MSR? Youtube is coming up nuthin.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Hey I was only reporting the reasons I'd heard previously. I'm not hugely against window nets.

-SDR- wrote:

BTW: LeMon's needs to ban the "dead pedal" starting in 2021.  If you need a dead pedal to stay in your seat, you don't know how to properly use your harness, and that is far more dangerous than almost anything else.

Bill

Not sure I agree here. The saab doesn't have a dead pedal and I sure wish it did. It's on my list to add. You shouldn't use it to stay in your seat, but man it's more comfortable if you have somewhere to rest your foot. Currently I sit with my foot fully extended forward onto the floor and it gets really uncomfortable fast. Having a more natural place to just "park" my left foot would go a long way on driver comfort on long stints.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

My team nearly mutinied when I didn’t put the dead pedal back in our Honda.  I had to source and reinstall another.  It certainly is a nice place to rest your foot.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Guildenstern wrote:
Bricoop wrote:

Probably referring to this:

https://youtu.be/YMqKLpGykp8

That car already had a window net. Driver ended up with a skull fracture  Would it have been worse without a net?

Who can say? A window net is for keeping you in, not keeping things out.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

rlchv70 wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
Bricoop wrote:

Probably referring to this:

https://youtu.be/YMqKLpGykp8

That car already had a window net. Driver ended up with a skull fracture  Would it have been worse without a net?

I did not know the driver fractured his skull ie a concussion. Even with a helmet concussions happen, I think it's from helmets hitting the roll cage.

Lemons has had plenty of roll overs without anyone losing an arm.
I like dead pedals.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Guildenstern wrote:

Who can say? A window net is for keeping you in, not keeping things out.

Usually i'd agree.  Per the team-tires entered the driver's compartment.

As for the skull fracture, that's usually from the roll cage.  A containment seat should protect against that.