Topic: C4

I have been following Lemons for a long time and this year I intend to make it to Sebring for my first race.  I hope to find and prepare a C4 Corvette only because being a teen of '80s, these are the cars I grew up with.  It won't be the fastest or most reliable, but, it is the car I have spent the most hours dreaming about driving in a race.  My goal is to finish without breaking my car or anyone elses.  I am hoping this will be the first of many races yet to come.  So if anyone knows of a running, straight framed C4, please message me, as I am interested - working atari dashboard is always a plus.

Re: C4

running C4's can be had for pretty cheap. They are good cars out of the box. Plus parts are cheap. I'd check your local craigslist then ebay. Here is a good link to a build. For our 1st race just make sure the car is safe and passes tech. https://forum.ThatOtherSeries.org/topic … ing-begin/

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

CWracer wrote:

I have been following Lemons for a long time and this year I intend to make it to Sebring for my first race.  I hope to find and prepare a C4 Corvette only because being a teen of '80s, these are the cars I grew up with.  It won't be the fastest or most reliable, but, it is the car I have spent the most hours dreaming about driving in a race.  My goal is to finish without breaking my car or anyone elses.  I am hoping this will be the first of many races yet to come.  So if anyone knows of a running, straight framed C4, please message me, as I am interested - working atari dashboard is always a plus.

Where are you located? I have a ran when parked c4 with the 4+3 trans here in west palm beach

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

I am located in Sarasota and I am planning a trip to the other coast next weekend.  Please email me some pics and more info.

cwracer@aol.com

A tad high but that's his asking price. https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/ct … 74884.html

stick car.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Chevrolet … SwW5dfotX4

I haven’t raced a (cor)Vette and not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but have you looked into tire cost?  Guessing that  a C4 would make for an expensive weekend in consumables.  I’m often wrong though.  I totally get the whole wanting to race the car that you always wanted.  I owned a 540i for the same reason. Do whatever makes you happy.

Have fun.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

I’m back. I looked it up. $602 for a set of Falkens on Tire Rack. Assuming the C4 Corvette forum lists correct front/rear sizes.  Actually, makes me feel like I’m paying too much for tires for my much much less sporty sedan.

Have more fun.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

9 (edited by fleming95 2020-12-12 06:37 PM)

Which Falkens were you looking at?

You might want to ask about if what you found had been run and lasted, or if everyone just went to the RT615Ks.
Unless you're getting a set for that price and then rock on.

(I've only ever run on smallish C and B- cars so I'm no authority).

(BTW, on Tire Rack I chose the stock 16" size and discovered just how many 16" tire choices there were in the stock size.  _1_ for street tires, about 6 for autocross.  Guess the world's changed since the 80s..)

zakp73 wrote:

I haven’t raced a (cor)Vette and not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but have you looked into tire cost?  Guessing that  a C4 would make for an expensive weekend in consumables.  I’m often wrong though.  I totally get the whole wanting to race the car that you always wanted.  I owned a 540i for the same reason. Do whatever makes you happy.

Have fun.

we run an 88 firebird and use 17x9.5 sawblades off a C4, tires aren't terrible. We have run Dunlop's, Falken's and Nitto's (boo), you can get at least 2 weekends of racing if not more. oh and I LOVE my 99 540i Sport 6 speed, all 228,000 miles of it.

CWracer wrote:

I am located in Sarasota and I am planning a trip to the other coast next weekend.  Please email me some pics and more info.

cwracer@aol.com

You have mail.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

And I thought this thread was going to be about fixing your crapcan.

https://ci.memecdn.com/8293095.jpg

I see plenty of cars on this forum that are clearly over $500.  Are there many people willing to take the subjective penalty just to go out and have a fun day of racing?

CWracer wrote:

I see plenty of cars on this forum that are clearly over $500.  Are there many people willing to take the subjective penalty just to go out and have a fun day of racing?

The short answer is "yes".

Penalty laps are very subjective. Don't worry about penalty laps starting out. As a rookie team with a new car, the judges will probably rate your odds of finishing lower than average, and high odds against finishing well.  Also, Corvettes don't normally do well in Lemons - but that has much more to do with the quality of "$500" Corvettes than with Corvettes in general.  Get the car running well, make it reliable, and have fun.

CWracer wrote:

Let's be realistic....
In the average race,with 100+ cars entered,your chances of taking the checkered flag (much less winning your class) are slim.There are teams that have been doing this shit for years without even coming close to seeing the podium.
Everything needs to fall into place(a combination of skill,preparation,lots of luck,etc..) in order to 'win'
So if you are not out there running for the sheer joy of it,you may be in the wrong series.

The 'spirit' of Lemons is to come out,drive around for a while,drink some adult beverages,talk a bunch of shit and just have some fun....  big_smile

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

BigBird wrote:

[snip]
The 'spirit' of Lemons is to come out,drive around for a while,drink some adult beverages,talk a bunch of shit and just have some fun....  big_smile

I think you forgot "spend a lot of discretionary funds"

BigBird wrote:
CWracer wrote:

Let's be realistic....
In the average race,with 100+ cars entered,your chances of taking the checkered flag (much less winning your class) are slim.There are teams that have been doing this shit for years without even coming close to seeing the podium.
Everything needs to fall into place(a combination of skill,preparation,lots of luck,etc..) in order to 'win'
So if you are not out there running for the sheer joy of it,you may be in the wrong series.

That is the truth. We race here and in Champ, might try AER soon... never once have we set out to win anything. Just have fun.

18 (edited by CWracer 2020-12-18 09:22 AM)

After searching for cheap C4 corvettes, I’m amazed how many people overvalue their crap.  No offense to anyone who has valuable, non-running, incomplete cars in their yard.

CWracer wrote:

The $500 goal is for the purchase price of the car including parts that are not budget exempt.

Safety items are budget exempt.  Safety includes cage, race seat, brake systems, some fuel system parts, etc.  Take a look at the rules for a full explanation.

See the organizers viewpoints on the Corvette in Lemons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HRtyWm05xk

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

20 (edited by cheseroo 2020-12-18 10:00 AM)

CWracer wrote:

After searching for cheap C4 corvettes, I’m amazed how many people overvalue their crap.  No offense to anyone who has valuable, non-running, incomplete cars in their yard.

I think you'll find that is marque specific.  There are those that know what they have is valuable and overprice accordingly (Ferrari, etc), those that know what they have is crap and price accordingly, then sadly those that think that what they have is valuable and are delusional about price.  If something non-running/incomplete was simple/cheap to reverse those conditions, they wouldn't be selling them in that condition.  In that group is the people that rationalize that retail is $5000, a junkyard motor is $500 so $4500 is a reasonable ask.  Yeah no.

I think for Lemons purposes there's nothing wrong with going into your search agnostic and making your decision based on what you then have to work with.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I think for Lemons purposes there's nothing wrong with going into your search agnostic and making your decision based on what you then have to work with.

That is how we ended up racing a Beetle, which isn't exactly the first car to spring to mind when you think about going racing. We stumbled across a New Beetle with 5 spd manual and the 1.8 turbo motor, sun-rotted plastic and a very mildewed interior (any VWs with sunroofs that live outdoors will be leaky & mildewed), but moderately low miles and running well, and the price was right. Since it shares driveline and suspension with the Mk IV Golf and Jetta, parts are easy to find and not too expensive.  Just happened to overhear someone saying "We're selling my wife's Beetle. The book value was only $1100-$1200, but with the interior in the shape it is in, we probably won't get $500 for it".  I asked a few questions and offered $350 cash.  So look around and be flexible if you're not hung up on something specific.  Also keep an eye on the Lemons forums and on the Facebook pages (Unofficial Lemons page, Citrus Racing Lounge, etc.) for teams selling cars - it is a good bit cheaper to buy a car than to build your own. 

The bottom line is that you can have a ball flogging anything around a racetrack.  If you aren't wrapped up in trying to win, just find something in decent mechanical shape that is easy to work on (we missed that part - Beetles are a little snug under the hood).  Fix it up, make it reliable, and have fun!

Thanks for all the input.  My top goal is to have a clean day racing at the track.  I'll keep shopping and we'll see what I end up with - lots of penalty laps I'm sure.

CWracer wrote:

Thanks for all the input.  My top goal is to have a clean day racing at the track.  I'll keep shopping and we'll see what I end up with - lots of penalty laps I'm sure.

If you swap some sort of non-GM mill in it you won't get one lap. think 4.0HO Jeep motor and 5 speed for example.

Your first race, go and face the wrath (or pity) of the judges.  When they see how pathetic your car and team are:  b class  zero laps at your second race.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Stan in Bham wrote:

That is how we ended up racing a Beetle, which isn't exactly the first car to spring to mind when you think about going racing. We stumbled across a New Beetle with 5 spd manual and the 1.8 turbo motor, sun-rotted plastic and a very mildewed interior (any VWs with sunroofs that live outdoors will be leaky & mildewed), but moderately low miles and running well, and the price was right. Since it shares driveline and suspension with the Mk IV Golf and Jetta, parts are easy to find and not too expensive.  Just happened to overhear someone saying "We're selling my wife's Beetle. The book value was only $1100-$1200, but with the interior in the shape it is in, we probably won't get $500 for it".  I asked a few questions and offered $350 cash.  So look around and be flexible if you're not hung up on something specific.  Also keep an eye on the Lemons forums and on the Facebook pages (Unofficial Lemons page, Citrus Racing Lounge, etc.) for teams selling cars - it is a good bit cheaper to buy a car than to build your own. 

The bottom line is that you can have a ball flogging anything around a racetrack.  If you aren't wrapped up in trying to win, just find something in decent mechanical shape that is easy to work on (we missed that part - Beetles are a little snug under the hood).  Fix it up, make it reliable, and have fun!

Yeah, this is how it works... why do we race a Passat? Because we got a strong running example with service records from new, for FREE. Likewise, I wanted to build a Benz back in 2012. I wasn’t picky. Just have a good knowledge of them and know where to get cheap parts... that week, we found a good running S500 with trashed interior for $700, so the choice was made. And both ended up classed B with no laps.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)