Topic: BMW E28 Teams?

We're a new team building up an '88 BMW E28 for at least one race late 2020-early 2021.  Was wondering if there's any ex-E28 teams that could let us know where the main failing points are, and what to look out for, or lend a helping hand?  Super excited to finally get into this, meet some new people and eventually go racing!

Re: BMW E28 Teams?

E28 owner (x3 embarrassingly)
I’ve seen E28s caged with the sunroof box still in. It’s only held in with glue and a few metal tabs. Cut em and pull it out to save weight and open up head room for easier caging. 
Swap in brakes from an E34 540i or E32 735i. Bolt right in.
You’ll be fighting E30 crowd for differentials.   Different cover and output flanges, but same housing and guts. 
Fail points are control arm bushings, wheel bearings and rear subframe.
Strength is that there is a market for your takeoff parts so you really can get the budget to zero. $500 build is totally feasible if you spend lots of time in the junkyard on sale days.

Have fun.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

Look up Cerveza Racing.  They are among the leaders in total race wins.  They run a very reliable and quick E28.  They sprung a surprise dyno check on them a few years ago and it made stock HP so they know the secret sauce.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

zakp73 wrote:

I’ve seen E28s caged with the sunroof box still in. It’s only held in with glue and a few metal tabs. Cut em and pull it out to save weight and open up head room for easier caging. 
You’ll be fighting E30 crowd for differentials.   Different cover and output flanges, but same housing and guts. 
Strength is that there is a market for your takeoff parts so you really can get the budget to zero. $500 build is totally feasible if you spend lots of time in the junkyard on sale days.

Have fun.

I've already snagged a manual running and driving 528e with the i head for 1200, it came with aftermarket disks which are drilled and vented so we should be good there.  Might bring an extra set of E34 or 32 brakes just in case.  Have a few E30 diffs laying around that I'll use, but I'm still trying to sell all those takeoff parts.  Thanks for the help, I'll get that sunroof box out!

cheseroo wrote:

Look up Cerveza Racing.  They are among the leaders in total race wins.  They run a very reliable and quick E28.  They sprung a surprise dyno check on them a few years ago and it made stock HP so they know the secret sauce.

Thanks, I'll look into them and see what's up!

Welcome! Solid cars for some fun. 

Moosehead control arm bushings. We spent a number of races chasing a violent brake shake (unless you were really on the brakes) and that seemed to fix it. Sometimes a new rubber bushing would fix it for the day, but not always. 

You'll get little life out of your fuel tank and pumps unless you do something about its starvation in right hand corners. We get 7-8 gallons in before it is a problem. I'm going fuel cell this round, but just saw Ireland Engineering's solution that sounds worthy. 

Because of above, my exhaust needs to be re-routed (if you're interested). That was worth about 25lb savings from the stock setup, and a V-band clamp makes dropping it super easy. I'm in TX...

Just added e34 540i rear brakes and a brake bias valve and it helped out a good amount with wear.  The ABS unit developed a clog to the RR and I didn't want to deal with it. We still have the stockers up front with solid bushings and good pads. Make sure they see air. The brakes, with Hydroboost, work really well.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

pierj1006 wrote:
zakp73 wrote:

Have fun.

it came with aftermarket disks which are drilled and vented so we should be good there.  Might bring an extra set of E34 or 32 brakes just in case.

Keep drilled or slotted rotors as emergency spares only.  They do not last in endurance racing (yes, there are exceptions but would bet a case of beer, those on this car do not fall in that category).  You are better off with Centric blanks from Tockauto for $20 a piece...then get quality racing or at laest "HD" pads.  After required safety equipment and reliability, brakes should be where you spend your money.

OlCreFoo wrote:

Welcome! Solid cars for some fun. 

Moosehead control arm bushings. We spent a number of races chasing a violent brake shake (unless you were really on the brakes) and that seemed to fix it. Sometimes a new rubber bushing would fix it for the day, but not always. 

You'll get little life out of your fuel tank and pumps unless you do something about its starvation in right hand corners. We get 7-8 gallons in before it is a problem. I'm going fuel cell this round, but just saw Ireland Engineering's solution that sounds worthy. 

Because of above, my exhaust needs to be re-routed (if you're interested). That was worth about 25lb savings from the stock setup, and a V-band clamp makes dropping it super easy. I'm in TX...

Just added e34 540i rear brakes and a brake bias valve and it helped out a good amount with wear.  The ABS unit developed a clog to the RR and I didn't want to deal with it. We still have the stockers up front with solid bushings and good pads. Make sure they see air. The brakes, with Hydroboost, work really well.

Lots of good information, thank you!  We're actually currently working on our exhaust (In South Florida, a bit too far) to just dump out as a side pipe since the car came as open headers without the stock exhaust.  We do need to do some sound testing to make sure it'll be under the decibel limit though.  I'll try and source out some cheap e34 brakes then, sounds like the way to go!

Buy the ST-43 pads and not worry about pads.

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/Prod … =Raybestos

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

We use Porterfield R4 to good effect.  Not R4S.  S, as in “street”.  Those are good for driving the WRX to the vape shop. (I kid). In the great pad discussion, keep in mind that race pads cost hundreds and rotors cost 20s so as long as they stop the car, you want rotor wear not pad wear.  Lots of people like ST43 too. Starting from scratch, I’d go with whichever the Internet says generally wears longer.
Have fun.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

zakp73 wrote:

We use Porterfield R4 to good effect.  Not R4S.  S, as in “street”.  Those are good for driving the WRX to the vape shop. (I kid). In the great pad discussion, keep in mind that race pads cost hundreds and rotors cost 20s so as long as they stop the car, you want rotor wear not pad wear.  Lots of people like ST43 too. Starting from scratch, I’d go with whichever the Internet says generally wears longer.
Have fun.

I'd just call the number on the link that Cheseroo posted above and ask the lady who answers.  Porterfield is owned by Raybestos, or the other way around.  Anyways they sell both.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon