Topic: No title?

Are there any rules about cars purchased that "Title was burned up in a fire" or "no title, parts car"?

Re: No title?

You could add stolen to your list and they still wouldn't care.  All of those are your problem, not theirs.  Title problems are actually preferable because it makes the car cheaper.  I wouldnt be concerned unless you are in a state with weird rules like NJ or something.  Or you need to cross an international border.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

One practical consideration is that if you want to, for some reason, dispose of the car at a nearby junkyard immediately after (or during) the race, you may find that some facilities are not eager to take vehicles without titles. On the other hand, some facilities don't care. Either way, however, this also falls within cheseroo's category of "your problem, not theirs" so Lemons will only care if it reaches the point of someone trying to abandon a car at the track.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I wonder what the percentage of cars in Lemons is that have title problems.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

5 (edited by Mkotzias 2020-12-14 01:33 PM)

Ok I'll start......
4 saturns, A Rover, A BMW and a Javelin.......None with papers.
Anyone else?

Not counting ones that we obtained for parts....None with papers either.

mharrell wrote:

One practical consideration is that if you want to, for some reason, dispose of the car at a nearby junkyard immediately after (or during) the race, you may find that some facilities are not eager to take vehicles without titles. On the other hand, some facilities don't care. Either way, however, this also falls within cheseroo's category of "your problem, not theirs" so Lemons will only care if it reaches the point of someone trying to abandon a car at the track.

My recent experience:

Running A4, trashed rf corner. A local u-pull-it wouldn't touch it without a title, but a local tow company paid me a nice amount for it, especially because I brought it to them on a trailer; they had me sign a paper - that's all.

I was thinking a used parts dismantler might be my next stop if the tow company [w/ "we buy junk cars" ad] didn't work out.

1958 Sunbeam Rapier with no title, heck, no VIN: No problem.....

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

XJ12 and Imp had no title.  Rover supposedly did but I never pressed the issue.  RX7 has a title but the VIN plate went with the dash so not sure title buys anything.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Don't have that problem.  I wonder how many other Lemons racers are daily/weekly drivers?  I've seen a few others at races that are tagged.  Anybody else drive theirs to work once a week or more?

Stan in Bham wrote:

Don't have that problem.  I wonder how many other Lemons racers are daily/weekly drivers?  I've seen a few others at races that are tagged.  Anybody else drive theirs to work once a week or more?

I've driven mine to a race and back.  All three Lemons cars have been street legal ( mainly so I can test them after repairing ), and have driven them to work or to run errands from time to time.

But to OP -- no title, no problem.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Stan in Bham wrote:

Ours is tagged, it gets driven to the occasional race, car shows, to work, to takeout sushi etc   usually post and pre race to be sure it works right. It gets old quickly enough when the doors are welded and there is no glass.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

I'd be more worried about the fire damage. Depending on the extent...heat does bad things to metal.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Stan in Bham wrote:

Ours is tagged. That way we can do some testing on the street w/o getting a big fat ticket.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Alternately if your car can be petted, you might be able to get the chief of police to let you go after he catches you driving your gremlin on the street, while trying to bed the brakes.

Sound like anyone we know?

hehehe

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced