Topic: My Backyard Project Car???

I’ve recently been looking into racing Lemons and was wondering about the vague rules for a “$500 car”. About 4 years ago I purchased a 1973 charger with extensive exterior body damage and no brakes for about $2000. Other than that it ran and drove when purchased. Has sat outside for the past 4 years as I have not had time or garage space to take on the project. My question to the Lemons community is after 4 years of sitting in the rain and snow (and I have no idea if it starts), would it be considered a $500 car or would the BS judges still see it as the $2000 car?

Re: My Backyard Project Car???

They will see it has a $500 car even if it's a 440/4 speed.  You will be celebrated to bring that fine road racing machine.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Agree you will be 100% A OK.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

DCOLLINS wrote:

I’ve recently been looking into racing Lemons and was wondering about the vague rules for a “$500 car”. About 4 years ago I purchased a 1973 charger with extensive exterior body damage and no brakes for about $2000. Other than that it ran and drove when purchased. Has sat outside for the past 4 years as I have not had time or garage space to take on the project. My question to the Lemons community is after 4 years of sitting in the rain and snow (and I have no idea if it starts), would it be considered a $500 car or would the BS judges still see it as the $2000 car?

BRING IT. Mopars rule. If you need parts let me know. I have connections.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I think the organizers would be thrilled to see your car race.  If you are still in doubt, click on contact at the top of the website and email Judge Phil for an official ruling.

Do not take any of Phil's advice for oddball engine swaps though.  Just make it run reliably and make sure it stops.  Put a disc upgrade kit on it.  Brake upgrades and other safety items are budget exempt.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

I think the organizers would be thrilled to see your car race.  If you are still in doubt, click on contact at the top of the website and email Judge Phil for an official ruling.

Do not take any of Phil's advice for oddball engine swaps though.  Just make it run reliably and make sure it stops.  Put a disc upgrade kit on it.  Brake upgrades and other safety items are budget exempt.

THAT... if it doesn't have disc's get some. I'd run a 5.9 magnum with a slight cam upgrade, headers, 4bbl intake and a small holley. It should make good H/P and be reliable.  4 speed would be best, but if you keep the trans cool it should hold up, not ideal but will get yo around the track.

You are fine. 
1. Make it safe.
2. Make it reliable
3. Make it stop really well
4. Make it cheap.
5.Don't over build or over spend,
6.Don't listen to Phil.
7.Do listen to Pagel

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

This would qualify for the BMW V8 Swap Loophole! I don't think anybody has done it. There are some of the early BMW V8's that might be considered, um, reliable. But I think Judge Phil said something about "modern" BMW V8's...

--bb

billy bee wrote:

This would qualify for the BMW V8 Swap Loophole! I don't think anybody has done it. There are some of the early BMW V8's that might be considered, um, reliable. But I think Judge Phil said something about "modern" BMW V8's...

--bb

I have a 99 540i Sport 6 speed. Heck of an engine however it is VERY "engineered" it needs a lot of computer to run. That would be a nightmare I'd think. Plus they cost buckets of money....one that you'd trust to run anyway. I have 227,000 miles on mine and runs great. I stick with Mopar power. I'd run a 5.2 or 5.9 magnum slightly modified w/ a 4 speed.

Yea but have you ever heard a modern german V8 without its mufflers? Magical!

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

11 (edited by billy bee 2020-12-19 07:16 AM)

Mr.Yuck wrote:

I have a 99 540i Sport 6 speed. Heck of an engine however it is VERY "engineered" it needs a lot of computer to run. That would be a nightmare I'd think. Plus they cost buckets of money....one that you'd trust to run anyway. I have 227,000 miles on mine and runs great.

Are you selling that engine and trans? Or is it still in the car? B/c that's perfect for the BMW-V8-into-a-malaise-era-car loophole.

B...M...Dub!     B...M...Dub!      B...M...     Um, I mean U...S...A!    U...S...A...   Wait, I'm confused.

billy bee wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

I have a 99 540i Sport 6 speed. Heck of an engine however it is VERY "engineered" it needs a lot of computer to run. That would be a nightmare I'd think. Plus they cost buckets of money....one that you'd trust to run anyway. I have 227,000 miles on mine and runs great.

Are you selling that engine and trans? Or is it still in the car? B/c that's perfect for the BMW-V8-into-a-malaise-era-car loophole.

B...M...Dub!     B...M...Dub!      B...M...     Um, I mean U...S...A!    U...S...A...   Wait, I'm confused.

It is my daily driver... might be easier to re-skin the BMW then transfer the Engine/trans. Plus you'd get the nice BMW chassis... surely that's be ok right?

Yes, The BMW engine goes in a Malaise Boat, and a Chevy 3.8 goes in the BMW chassis!

EASY is for SCCA ShowRoom Stock!