Topic: Plexiglass Roof?

We’re removing the sunroof out of our 5 series, and wondered if it would be allowed to cut out a large portion of the roof and replace it with clear plexiglass.  We’d properly secure it, basically putting a panoramic sunroof overtop.  Rule 3.6.J says a new panel is allowed, does that include plexiglass?  Thank you for the help and clarification!

Re: Plexiglass Roof?

pierj1006 wrote:

We’re removing the sunroof out of our 5 series, and wondered if it would be allowed to cut out a large portion of the roof and replace it with clear plexiglass.  We’d properly secure it, basically putting a panoramic sunroof overtop.  Rule 3.6.J says a new panel is allowed, does that include plexiglass?  Thank you for the help and clarification!

The best place to find answers to technical/safety questions is to go directly to John L. Pagel ( pagel@24hoursoflemons.com)
His is the only opinion that matters when it comes to questions like this.....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

BigBird wrote:
pierj1006 wrote:

The best place to find answers to technical/safety questions is to go directly to John L. Pagel ( pagel@24hoursoflemons.com)

Ah alright, didn’t know it was ok to email the big man himself.  Still preparing for my first race, still getting used to all this.  I appreciate the help!

Definitely check with Pagel. I would guess that it's a definite no-go for Plexiglass (acrylic). It might be acceptable if you use Lexan (polycarbonate), which is approved for replacement windshields.

curious what your rationale is for this? Big greenhouse to cook your driver with natural sunlight?

I would think you'd be ok with replacing your roof skin if you really wanted to, but with something that could fragment in a rollover I suspect you may be advised to use arm restraints.

Spank wrote:

curious what your rationale is for this? Big greenhouse to cook your driver with natural sunlight?

I would think you'd be ok with replacing your roof skin if you really wanted to, but with something that could fragment in a rollover I suspect you may be advised to use arm restraints.

More or less for the novelty factor of having a panoramic sunroof, plus it would be easier to just chop a hole in the roof to remove the sunroof box because of the way it’s secured to the car.  Worst comes to worst, we do some small cutting to the box and weld in the original sunroof.

pierj1006 wrote:
BigBird wrote:
pierj1006 wrote:

Ah alright, didn’t know it was ok to email the big man himself.  Still preparing for my first race, still getting used to all this.  I appreciate the help!

It's definitely OK to email the big man himself.....
I'm sure he would rather steer you in the right direction as opposed to being the one telling you that you can't race ....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

pierj1006 wrote:
Spank wrote:

More or less for the novelty factor of having a panoramic sunroof, plus it would be easier to just chop a hole in the roof to remove the sunroof box because of the way it’s secured to the car.  Worst comes to worst, we do some small cutting to the box and weld in the original sunroof.

Chop away, it's done all the time-- just at least pop rivet some aluminum skin or similar over the hole, which won't be questioned. A small piece of lexan might not be an issue, but a whole roof might cause some concern.

Road sign and rivets, problem solved. I’ll leave it up to you whether you want to face the painted side out or in

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type 44.
I am gonna STOP you right there.  Pagel will not YIELD when it comes to safety concerns.  If the modifications are to increase SPEED, LIMIT 55 mm rivets or larger.   If you want to make sure you are RIGHT, TURN on notifications to get more good advise.

And pierj1066, i am gonna warn you DEER, CROSSING Pagel will give your race a DEAD END.

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

bobnowoc wrote:

Type 44.
I am gonna STOP you right there.  Pagel will not YIELD when it comes to safety concerns.  If the modifications are to increase SPEED, LIMIT 55 mm rivets or larger.   If you want to make sure you are RIGHT, TURN on notifications to get more good advise.

And pierj1066, i am gonna warn you DEER, CROSSING Pagel will give your race a DEAD END.

Thanks for all the tips, like the clever writing lol.  Still figuring out all the tricks behind this silly community, but it seems like I might need to go sign hunting in the future!

pierj1006 wrote:
bobnowoc wrote:

Type 44.

Thanks for all the tips, like the clever writing lol.  Still figuring out all the tricks behind this silly community, but it seems like I might need to go sign hunting in the future!

We don't get silly, really silly, until we get to the paddock.  Safety is pretty "easy" for the most part as it is spelled out in the rules.  A few things folks try to "rules lawyer" but almost all of them are there in plain English between the 5 or so pages of rules and the "How not to fail Tech" .pdf.

Now when it comes to themes...