Topic: Bad Vibrations

Our car (1996 Mitsubishi Mirage with a 4G64 motor swap - 2.4l 4 cylinder) seems to be plagued by vibration issues.  In the last race at MSR- we lost multiple electrical connections, the fornt heat shield over the manifold cracked. the bracket that supports the intake manifold also broke into two pieces.  The alternator came apart. The oil filter mount cracked in two. And apparently  the engine separated itself fom the transaxle.  I know that 4 cylinder engines suffer from inherent balance issues, but this seems a bit extreme.   I was wondering  if anyone else had experienced this sort of thing. Or is it just my particular engine may have an issue?

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks, Monty

Re: Bad Vibrations

I know a fair bit about engines, but next to nothing about Mitsubishi engines. My guess is: if this has balance shafts (seems plausible, Mitsu invented that and this is a big four cylinder) something is amiss... shaft out of time, thus amplifying vibrations rather than canceling them? Crazy home brew mounts making vibration worse? I’ve only had 1 vibration related failure in 15 races, that was an alternator mount that I suspect I didn’t tighten. Busting all those parts in a single race ain’t normal.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

There is a balance shaft, I will be checking on it when we pull the engine.  Just trying to decide a path forward, tired of wrenching as much or more than I am racing...  I was wondering if anyone had any experience trying to measure engine vibrations - thinking when I put the spare motor in, I could do a comparison (check the old one before I pull it, then the spare one after install.  All mounts are stock - one of the reasons that the swap works well...

Monty

I don’t know of any (feasible, not lab equipment or engineering-level) ways to measure vibration. It’s always been something I can feel pretty easily when sitting in a seat and revving the engine. Does doing that shake things a lot more than, say, the last 2010 Ford/Nissan/Kia etc you have driven? It shouldn’t. I think something is broken, like a balance shaft issue, or a flywheel coming apart. You try another engine and find you can see the gauges without a blur, and the rear view mirror suddenly is usable, it’s going to be pretty obvious.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

A bit surprising to hear about that much breakage and drivers not being alarmed at how that feels.  Besides vibration, big 4s also have harmonic issues at high RPM.  I believe Mitsu pioneered the balance shaft for their big 4s.  Agree with Rob that something significant must be broken.  I believe they make balance shaft elimination kits for those which leads me to believe that if yours was broken that it wouldn't do all that damage unless you guys spin the crap out of that engine.  I'd be thinking it's something in the crank/flywheel but I think even then it would be taking out engine bearings.  I would think halfshafts have to be considered too.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I am leaning towards something may be off in the balance shaft or perhaps with the flywheel.  I will say that the car doesn't seem to shake horribly and the gauges are pretty readable.  The mirror is a little shakey, but its a crappy golf cart mirror so who knows.  My thought is high revs may also be an issue for it as some of our drivers are prone to keeping it near red line...  After seeing the engine separated from the transaxle I am curious to see if the flywheel is loose.  Have a team workday planned for end of the month, will likely know more then. Thank you all for your thoughts..

Monty

Do you guys think a bad harmonic balancer could cause all this?  THe engine has a significant oil leak (probably front main) and has had the leak since we pulled it from the donor galant.  I am thinking that between age and oil the harmonic balancer may have failed..  Would be an easy explanation..  Thougts?

Monty

You seem focused on engine vibration. Have you eliminated driveline vibration as a cause? CV joints, axles...

--bb

I don't feel any vibration to speak of in the steering wheel or in the car.  Plus everything coming apart seems to be connected to the engine, so that's why I am thinking engine, but definitely not sure about any of it.  Also no unusual tire wear.

Monty

montyq wrote:

Do you guys think a bad harmonic balancer could cause all this?  THe engine has a significant oil leak (probably front main) and has had the leak since we pulled it from the donor galant.  I am thinking that between age and oil the harmonic balancer may have failed..  Would be an easy explanation..  Thougts?

Monty

Short answer, yes.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

We pulled the engine this weekend - after taking some vibration measurements for use as a baseline.  But no real need since the balance shaft belt had snapped.  I am pretty sure this explains the issue..