Topic: How to race as cheaply as possible?

I'm in the process of assembling a team near bel air MD. Thus far there are three of us, all barely legal adults and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who even has a job. So, how can we get into a race as cheaply as possible? My budget currently looks like this:

Car                                         $500 (that's easy)
Team entry                           $1430 (per website)
Two driver memberships        $150 (per website)
Tires/glass/brakes/etc            $500 (very rough estimate, non-budget car stuff)
Two driver kits                      $1250 (Lemons store)
head/neck protection             $300 (Lemons store)
Fire suppression                    $400 (Lemons store)
Seat/harness                         $600 (Lemons store)

That's over $5000 and doesn't even consider things like where we intend to sleep, paying for fuel, renting a trailer or registering our car etc. I'd really appreciate any thoughts on reducing the total cost for a team. My only idea thus far is bugging local junkyards for a sponsorship or borrowing safety gear from another team (please let me know if you can lend any!!). More ideas would be very welcome (or team members for that matter).

-Dan

'Dis not gonna be cheap...

Re: How to race as cheaply as possible?

You are missing a few things, a cage for one. It’s racing for cheap cars, not necessarily cheap racing.

Cheapest way is to buy a seat. Teams are always looking for more drivers, so you can be an “arrive and drive”. Typically this is around $700 per race.

If you want to run your own team, then Buy an already built car. You can buy them for pennies on the dollar.

Race gear can be rented. Racesuitrentals.com. Will be cheaper in the long run to buy your own stuff, if you plan to keep on doing it.

3 (edited by BigBird 2021-02-03 09:34 PM)

How to get into race cheaply?Stay at home.....Seriously,though,while Lemons is inexpensive (compared to other forms of racing),it is hardly cheap.The least expensive way is to find a team looking for additional drivers and do an Arrive and Drive....You pay the team an agreed upon amount,show up,drive the car,don't be a dick...simple stuff.You can rent gear for a weekend for about 200 bucks.
Sometimes this is the best way to get your feet wet before jumping in and sinking a whole lotta dollars into building and running a car...

EDIT:What Rich just said....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Thanks for the tip on renting gear. I semi-intentionally omitted the cage as I'm not really sure what it's going to cost yet, but since I work at a shop I don't think it's going to cost me much more than the cost of tubing and plate.

Perhaps the title should have read "How to get into a Lemons race as cheaply as possible"...

5 (edited by Stan in Bham 2021-02-03 08:33 PM)

+1 to what Rich and BigBird said.  Tell your buddies to find jobs so they can ante up if you insist on starting your own team now.

I would add that crewing or driving for a team while trying to set up your own also lets you see how other teams do things.  You'll find good ways of doing things, and ways that you might want to do differently.  Pay attention to the other teams around you, you'll see different ways of running things, different levels of intensity, different ways of organizing operations, etc. Crewing is cheap - sometimes teams will cover your $75 fee just to have the extra hand in the pits or paddock. Figuring out how to run a team at your first race is not impossible, but is absolutely a steep learning curve.

As to buying and building a car, cages vary by location but are the most expensive part of the investment. Expect to spend $2500-$3000 if you don't have a very skilled welder on the team.  If you work at a shop that does cages, you're set and will save a bundle.

Have you read: How To Not Fail Lemons Tech Inspection

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Yes, as well as all the rules about three times.

danielp3344 wrote:

Great...now go read it 6 more times and print out a copy to keep in the bathroom.

Nothing sucks more than seeing a team get told they can't race this weekend because of some small detail they overlooked.
Usually this happens when you get someone to build a cage that thinks they "have a better way"..this never works out well...

The cars may look like shit,and the drivers may look like out-of-work circus clowns,but safety is taken VERY seriously....
You theme may be rockin',and your driving suit may look sharp,but if you don't pass tech,you don't race.......

And don't be shy about coming in here and asking questions.We were all rookies once,too......

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

danielp3344 wrote:

Sounds like you're on the right track.

richv70's suggestion of buying a previously-raced Lemons car has been suggested many times, by many people, in many threads as a way of lowering the startup cost.

But, your mentioning your shop job leads me to believe you want to build it out yourself; I understand that desire - I have it, too.

You'll find a lot of support here. I'll be interested in reading about your build.

No such thing as chap and a race car.  Lemons is probably the cheapest league to race in but you will have $4-5,000 into your car before you hit the track. We paid $3600 for the cage alone. It is much cheaper to buy a finished car. Look on c-list, ebay and racing junk. If you aren't picky about what you want to drive. That said it is a lot of fun....

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Not sure where you're located, but if you keep an eye on the For Sale section of the forums, you'll possibly find a good deal and a more understanding person who wants to sell their car so someone else can enjoy it.

You can also find Lemons on RacingJunk, though there's a lot of chaff in with the wheat there, so to speak. I think the asking prices there tend to be pretty optimistic and the sellers a little less sympathetic, but maybe I'm wrong. This one is affordable and was built for another series by a team who has done several Lemons races, for example:

https://www.racingjunk.com/24-Hours-of- … _offset=10

You can also try the local classifieds, sometimes stuff pops up, and there are some FB groups where word of mouth might get you there, too.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Buy a car that has been raced multiple times. You’re saving hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars in building costs. Find out how many races the car has finished. Ask what it’s weaknesses are. Use your unspent time and money fixing those things.

You are asking good questions. Spectate a race (when that is a thing again), do an A&D, build a car ( if you love building, otherwise buy somebody else’s dream for 50%). There will be plenty of wrenching still to do.

When shopping for a car consider cost of consumables. Fuel, tires and race brakes cost a bunch.  Also parts availability is huge in overall racing cost. Buy a car that uses a cheap size of tire, has smallish displacement and doesn’t weigh much. Crown Vics may be plentiful on Craigslist but.... (not talking trash about Crown Vics)

Also also, sorry to rain on a parade, but consider cost of moving the race car around (trailer, dolly, dumpster, rental trailer, stacker trailer with professional team management and catering).

Also also also, ancillary stuff like a bunch of fuel jugs, extinguishers and random tools that you never previously needed add up.

Up side:  a lot of this is an investment in yourself and/or durable goods. The fun you will have and life experience that you gain are priceless. Some of the investment can pay for itself. Flip a couple cars using your new trailer and trailer pays for itself for example. If the endeavor is a disaster, you can sell the remnants on CL for what you got it for (assuming you aren’t paying retail for every little thing).

Have fun.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

I'll forth buying someone else's car. I sold a class winning, consistent top 10 on the West Coast car with spares for $2500. Our build cost on that car was at least 3 times that.
Another car that we sold was just bought back with a blown motor for $200. I don't like the cage on that car, the reason it was sold in the first place, but there is $1500-2000 worth of suspension on that car and that I couldn't pass up.

Wes Conklin
Team California Mille
2007 Eyetalian Class Champions
20+ races and still going strong, Finally won one. Pacific Northworst Winner 2012.

A few more things to add to your list:

Kill switch and wiring: $80 or so
Gas cans: ?
Fuel for the car during the race: ?
Fire extinguisher for your fuelers: ?
Motor oil, brake fluid, etc.: ?
Spares for the car, radiator hoses, fan belt, etc., whatever else might break: ?
An extra set of helmet anchors for your HANS device: ?
Radios to communicate with driver during race: ? (you can get by without this, but it is handy)

As other have said, buying an already raced car will be much cheaper than starting from scratch.

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

I hear you guys but TBH I'm looking forward to picking out a car and making it race ready more than anything else. Also, I'm getting a nagging feeling I'm missing something about this roll cage thing. Are most people here just not big on welding? It seems like if you have a welder/angle grinder/tubing bender you should only have to pay for materials themselves right?

danielp3344 wrote:

I hear you guys but TBH I'm looking forward to picking out a car and making it race ready more than anything else. Also, I'm getting a nagging feeling I'm missing something about this roll cage thing. Are most people here just not big on welding? It seems like if you have a welder/angle grinder/tubing bender you should only have to pay for materials themselves right?

Correct.  Use this as your guide.  Most teams have welding capabilities.  But it's a PITA to build a cage properly.  There are some tight spots to get into.  If you're a competent fabricator you can do it yourself. 

https://24hoursoflemons.com/wp-content/ … 040419.pdf

Oh, and if you're unsure about something email Pagel.  He's incredibly helpful and he will have the final say if you get to take your car on the track. 

There was a debate if removing my truck bed was legal or not.  I emailed him.  After hearing about my theme he wanted to learn more about the truck as he had just failed another team at a race with the same theme.  That team spent thousands of dollars to show up at a track and be told you're not racing with us.  The organizers guys want to see you succeed and be on the track, they may call you a fool, but they are cool with you if you are cool with them.  Be smart and email him any  questions before you glue it all together (not afterwards like I did).  We got lucky, but we also studied the rules closely before the build and attended a race as a spectator.  The harder you work on your theme, the more lenient they are towards you in almost every aspect (not safety wise, they're strict as shit).

Right now they don't have spectators, but you can crew for a team.  I recommend attending a race before you start building.

Also consider checking craigslist and looking for project cars.  Plenty of unfinished projects out there that you can get a good deal on.

https://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/d/ … 21388.html sick, I wanna buy this, easy to find spare parts. 
https://richmond.craigslist.org/pts/d/r … 52480.html Its a Fiero, people will like you for that.  Buy this car if you like to wrench on cars at races.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva … 50283.html if you want something to save on Gas, use something like this.  If you put a big fuel cell in it, you wouldn't need to stop as often. 
https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/p … 29086.html
https://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/d/r … 65076.html
https://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/d/ … 21388.html

Man I saw that rabbit, I love those cars and that one is just too nice to hack up. I have a 135hp 2 stroke outboard motor I bought for $65 that I could do something with, hmmm...

danielp3344 wrote:

I hear you guys but TBH I'm looking forward to picking out a car and making it race ready more than anything else.

I understand that. I had the same reasoning for getting my car. Let us know what you get.

Also, FWIW, the best thing we did after getting our car ready was go to a track day two months before the race. We uncovered issues that would have taken us out of the race early, and we got to practice our pit stops a bit. Well worth it.

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

danielp3344 wrote:

One of our teammates is a good fab guy. He built a winning circle track car. He didn't want to do our cage because he said if it failed tech he'd be mad at himself. Our cage exceeds Lemons specs that is why it was so much...but after a hard it that destroyed the car we pulled the cage is 100% perfect. Don't skimp. we used 1.3/4 DOM and installed NASCAR door bars and a Petty bar.
The cage is the most important thing in the car. There will be 100+ cars on the track with drivers of all skills and cars at all ends of the performance spectrum.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

danielp3344 wrote:

For most people it's the fact that if you are not 100% confident in your ability it is not worth the risk that you do it wrong and hurt a team mate should you find yourself in a crash that requires the cage to work. That's the blunt answer.

If you've never built a cage before, it's more complicated than you think, but it is completely doable. I've built 2 now. One all from scratch, one from a kit. Getting the cage to fit nice and tight to the car so that you have the required head room takes a lot of time and planning. Building door bars that both protect you as much as possible but allow fast egress in an emergency takes time and planning. You also need to be confident enough in your welding to do it laying upside down with 1 arm in a stupid position while barely being able to see. And never, ever, take an angle grinder to a weld or tube on the cage. Ground welds are a fail. Ground tubes are a fail. Read all the rules many more times.

I also enjoy the car prep almost more than the racing. It just took a long time for me to research everything I needed to on how to build a cage, and practice my welding enough to be confident that I could build a cage that would protect my family should it ever get tested. (my team is my dad, my siblings, and me). I was ambidextrous with a MIG welder before I even thought about trying a cage. Crashes in Lemons bad enough to test your cage do happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rRqRKC0nG8

As for doing this as cheap as possible, I applaud the idea, but please do not skimp on safety. Buy a cheap car, use on hand parts, do dumb things with motors, use cheap tires, build anything yourself that you can, whatever. But do not skimp on safety. Brakes are often overlooked by new teams. BUY GOOD BRAKES. That video I liked of the crash at thompson? They were using cheap street fluid and boiled it. Having also boiled brakes, it's terrifying and rarely gives you warning. Put real race fluid in your car, buy a moisture tester (they are like $20 on amazon), and test your fluid before each race. Buy good pads. ST43s are the magic pad for this, but they will cost a bunch. They are worth it though. Buy a good set of belts. Cheap belts are almost impossible to get tight enough which puts you at risk. Crow makes a nice set that doesn't hit Scroth levels of money. Buy good gear too. Personally fire scares me more than anything else in racing. I'm happy to have bought a nicer suit to replace my cheap intro one that was just heavy cotton instead of nomex. Basically I'm trying to say don't let your pursuit of doing this as cheap as possible end up making you compromise on the safety of you or your team mates. Lemons is cheap racing, but it sure isn't cheap.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

If you've never built a cage before, it's more complicated than you think, but it is completely doable. I've built 2 now. One all from scratch, one from a kit. Getting the cage to fit nice and tight to the car so that you have the required head room takes a lot of time and planning. Building door bars that both protect you as much as possible but allow fast egress in an emergency takes time and planning. You also need to be confident enough in your welding to do it laying upside down with 1 arm in a stupid position while barely being able to see. And never, ever, take an angle grinder to a weld or tube on the cage. Ground welds are a fail. Ground tubes are a fail. Read all the rules many more times.

Just wondering, where'd you get your kit cage from?  The Lemons specific one from Rollcage Components?

24 (edited by TheEngineer 2021-02-05 08:28 AM)

Yes, I got a roll cage components kit for my E36. It wasn't the Lemons one, it was an E36 specific one with some extra pieces that I wanted. I'm one of the few people who had bad experiences with them. My kit was missing some pieces and the door bars were not what I asked for. Never got a response to any of my requests for making it right. Ended up just making my own pieces. Was years ago at this point. Most people have nothing but good experiences with roll cage components.

The Saab I built the cage from scratch. I did it backwards. I bought the kit for the BMW, then built the Saab cage, then installed the BMW kit. Should have done the other way round, but life had other plans.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Dan, You are asking good questions.
My humble opinion is you should check out a race and ask a bunch of questions as you see it all unfold.
If Covid does not allow spectators by June, You can join with my crew to get a look.
Hit me up if this works for you.
I am a part time Judge and 10 plus years as a crew chief/ "driver" in Lemons.
Having built and caged every car my team has run, I can give you some guidance if you want.

Manny.