Topic: Power steering conundrum: good idea-turned out bad

Power steering on 1987 Honda Prelude

So power steering on original car:
Reservoir>hose>power steering pump>steering rack

Steering rack>return hose directly to reservoir (cooling hose)
Steering rack>hose to speedo contraption installed into transmission>then hose from speedo contraption to Y
Steering rack>to Y>second return hose to reservoir

So steering rack has 4 holes for hoses: one in, and 3 out (one directly to reservoir, one directly to speedo sensor, and one the goes to Y to pick up return from speedo sensor and goes to reservoir

Lines
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-lis … lines.html
Speedo sensor on tranny
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-lis … _pump.html

Anyways, I thought it would be a good idea to have power steering fluid in the steering rack for lubrication sloshing around, but removing the power steering pump
So
I ran one line Reservoir to steering rack
Plugged one line
Ran one line steering rack to speedo
Ran one line steering rack to Y to join return hose from speedo and then return to reservoir.

Today, I decided to get air out of the system, so I injected using syringe, pressed in power steering fluid into the hose from reservoir to rack
I got rid of some bubbles, injected fluid, and then turned the steering wheel back and forth (car is on jack stands with wheels off, tie rods not attached to knuckle)

But then it got harder and harder to turn the steering wheel!!!  It would only turn 270 degrees and then get very stiff.
I pushed it further to go all the way one way, and on the return it did the same

And they I noticed that the line off the rack that I plugged was leaking fluid....probably under pressure

Suggestions?  And explanation of my goof?
Should I attach the line that I plugged on the rack that appeared to be leaking and attach it to the other return line that goes to the Y

Or am I just making it way too complicated....
I would like to have the speedo sensor on the tranny, attached to speedometer cable ...to see speed on dash inside the car (old race car did not have speedo cable, the speedo contraption on tranny was plugged)--but I assume it needs power steering fluid for lubrication
The rack on old race car just had all the 4 fluid lines plugged (and I guess it worked fine...."Better!!" is the enemy of "Good enough") but did not have the speedo cable....

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Re: Power steering conundrum: good idea-turned out bad

Dunno about Honda but on RX7, depowering involved taking the rack apart and removing the divider/o-ring between both sides of the rack.  Then packing grease in the rack/pinion and putting it back together.  The power assist works by pressurizing one side of that divider to help "push" the rack to one side.  It sounds like you have filled one side of that divider with nowhere for it to escape and essentially hydrauliced the rack.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)