Topic: Wing options, so we don't fly away

Things get pretty crazy corning in our poorly weight distributed front wheel drive Saab.

It seems a Wing may help us keep our back-side in line, though they seem quite pricey (e.g. an APR GT-250 seems to be ~$1500 - $2000 new)..

At some level I guess we could try to sell this to Lemons tech as a safety option to exempt it from the $500 given the sliding out we do.

Does anyone know if Wings are exempt like safety gear - or of some cheeEEAAAppp options for our crappy car?

Re: Wing options, so we don't fly away

The question is how much drag are you willing to accept, because a slab of plywood will give you plenty of downforce, assuming you could ever get fast enough to need it due to the drag. You can BUILD a wing, it's not rocket science, but you're not going to get a GOOD wing for cheap. And wings also are only good FAST not Slow. So you'll still be tail out all over the place in tight turns.

Wings are not exempt.

Nobody will look twice at BALLAST though. Not exactly exempt, but also not exactly something that doesn't also have performance downsides. And ballast works at any speed.

Also go over your rear end, you may have something wrong, and most of that within reason IS exempt.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Our Beetle is pretty light in the back end, too. We moved the battery from just behind the radiator to the spare tire well in back to help a tiny bit with weight distribution. Bought a pair of heavy duty 20' jumper cables and cannibalized them since that was cheaper than just buying cable. Grounded the battery in the spare tire well, so just needed the positive cable, and ran it up along the driver's side cage to the kill switch. Used about 12' of an old garden hose for a little extra protection/insulation for the line in case of an accident.

If you want to ballast like Guildenstern suggested, old brake rotors can be spot welded to the trunk/spare tire well/other rear point, and can be easily stacked for concentration of weight.  And Captain Obvious suggests that wider and /or stickier tires will help some, too.

If you really want a wing or spoiler, check your local Pull-aPart or Pick-a-Part. You never know what surprises will show up there.

Wing as a safety item/budget exemption won't fly.  Ingenuity will.  Search on Eyesore Racings wing on their Miata.  They tend to get pretty good about documenting their car.  Or think outside the box

https://youtu.be/kPKD85mFbkA

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Wings are better and we might build one for Daytona, but we made a spoiler from Lexan and it helped, especially at the end of a long straight and in the fast turns. didn't cost much either.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … amp;type=3

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

cheseroo wrote:

Wing as a safety item/budget exemption won't fly.  Ingenuity will.  Search on Eyesore Racings wing on their Miata.  They tend to get pretty good about documenting their car.  Or think outside the box

Just keep in mind Eyesore has at least one aerodynamicist on the team. They know how to make aero work.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

A few of my buddies race circle track cars, I was able to score an adjustable spoiler from one of them when a bad wreck gave them the excuse to change to a different body.

Pics of the car as well as the spoiler in the dumpster were enough to convince the judges that it was legit. 

And if ANY car needs its tail planted more on a racetrack its a C4 Corvette ;-)

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Passaable wrote:

Things get pretty crazy corning in our poorly weight distributed front wheel drive Saab. It seems a Wing may help...

Speaking from experience, whatever you do, don't place your aerodynamic decisions in the hands of a geologist.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7445/16511784305_acb614874e_z.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

SAAB = 'Born from Jets' - so you have the chance to theme it up good and try to get the wing to slide through for free.  Good luck with that...

More directly, what are you running, where, and what's your handling issue?

In the Olde Days of Lemons Boxwrench Racing was running a 900T and were not slow - think 3rd or 5th or so on Sunday at Sears, ahead of Eyesore, I think.  So at least a sorted 900 can be made to work well enough to keep up with a pieced-together Miata.

Did you perchance pull the hatch and/or rear window and the side windows?

I'm not up on Saab's but most FWD vehicles understeer when pushed hard in a turn. This is due to the heavy front weight bias of this drivetrain configuration. The front tires will give up their grip sooner than the more lightly loaded rear tires.
Putting a wing on the rear of a FWD vehicle won't do much. It may look cool but not much else.

Removing any heavy items not needed from the front of the vehicle  or moving them to the rear will help. You could also reduce the rear grip to balance out the handling, for most drivers an understeering vehicle is safer since if they go to fast in a turn they will go off track front first.
95% of OEM cars & truck are set up this way from the factory.

And yeah Saabs can be fast. I do remember a Saab 900 beating rear drive cars at a number of autocrosses back in the 70's & 80's. I have also club raced 2 different FWD cars so I know that they can make good race cars with the right modifications.

Yeah, I would be looking at rear suspension or setup thereof.  I don't think there's any such thing as a Lemons car that _needs_ a wing to handle.

And as mentioned, FWD cars tend to push.  He struggle with FWD racecars is usually freeing up the back end enough to get them to turn in.  Or so I have read in books.

Also, if you aren't already running them, a decent set of tires goes a long way toward making a car predictable.

12 (edited by AT-JeffT 2021-02-22 11:41 AM)

We put a cheap no-name wing on our Dodge Stealth, which has always been very light in the rear.  It was always light under braking on the stock suspension and also on coil overs.  Which suggests, it's not a suspension problem.

Lots of people on here are saying FWD cars always are understeer prone, that was not the case for us.  In fact, the 2 other FWD cars I've driven in Lemons also displayed oversteer under braking or trail braking.  It probably has something to do with a disproportionate amount of weight being taken off the rear when stripped and caged.  Couple that with soft suspension and sticky tires and there really isn't much of any weight on the rear under braking. 

Our no-name wing was found on craigslist for $40 dollars.  It looks very much like this:
https://imgur.com/a/T2aQ7kw
We mounted it with a very shallow angle of attack.  We weren't level when measuring it, but my guess is somewhere around 3-7 degrees.

It helped a ton with braking balance.  Previously, without the wing, trail braking was never to be attempted under any circumstances. Now, with the wing installed, it's an option depending on the corner.  It's a much easier car to drive now, all our drivers feel this way.

hoverducky wrote:

Yeah, I would be looking at rear suspension or setup thereof.  I don't think there's any such thing as a Lemons car that _needs_ a wing to handle.

And as mentioned, FWD cars tend to push.  He struggle with FWD racecars is usually freeing up the back end enough to get them to turn in.  Or so I have read in books.

Also, if you aren't already running them, a decent set of tires goes a long way toward making a car predictable.

Tires and suspension will help more than a wing/spoiler. I've seen teams run what appear to be 10 year old off the shelf tires at these events, 200 Treadwear does wonders for staying put in the turns.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

14 (edited by Brett85p 2021-02-22 01:20 PM)

cheseroo wrote:

I thought there was an aero loophole seeing as we are all too stupid to make it work effectively and spending many $1000s of dollars on wangs for a $500 hooptie is not going to be the difference between winning and losing.

A quick scan of the rules and I don't see it mentioned so if in doubt make it part of your theme!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

I thought there was an aero loophole seeing as we are all too stupid to make it work effectively and spending many $1000s of dollars on wangs for a $500 hooptie is not going to be the difference between winning and losing.

A quick scan of the rules and I don't see it mentioned so if in doubt make it part of your theme!

DING DING DING!!!! Winner!

Guildenstern wrote:
Brett85p wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

DING DING DING!!!! Winner!

So it would seem the most obvious solution is to make your wing resemble a Saab 17 flying inverted your trunk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_17

That guy that likes the Oldsmobile Diesel for some reason.

To the OP:

I guess I was assuming that you were running an OG900, and with that beam rear axle there isn't much to go wrong - but how's it being located right now and what sorta camber do you have on it?

If it's something else then carry on irregardless -

We have an '05 Saab 93. We found some used Ksport coilovers to stiffen things up, and have 3' camber on the front. This dramatically helped the typical understeer into corners.

We also did a lot of weight removal in the car. It was a convertible so we removed the top. The final weight distribution is 64% on the front wheels, 36% on the back.

With this weight distribution and the tighter suspension, we have the back end go out on tight corners. We basically have no braking at all on any slightly turned position of the car downhill without it wildly swinging out. It gets a bit loose in chicanes because of this.

I get it won't help on slow speed corners. I'm hoping it may help us push faster through carousels, e.g. rather than spin out hopefully all four wheels would slide to give us a chance at recovery. Maybe more stable in chicanes such as the back part of the Sonoma course.

I love the idea of incorporating the airplane theme for a wing into the Saab theme. I'd prefer some option to make it out of aluminum versus the pain of dealing with fiberglass if possible. So far I've only found examples of folks making fiber glass ones. There's also super cheap wings and spoilers on ebay though I am quite skeptical those will be functional.

Hints, tips or tricks on how to build this would be awesome.

I love the  bowling ball / ironing board example. So far that's our front runner for what to do.

Passaable wrote:

I love the  bowling ball / ironing board example. So far that's our front runner for what to do.

Note the year 2008 for that video. The ironing board would still fly, so to speak, but as I recall the bowling ball was banned by the Lemons HQ Fun Police on the questionable grounds that having a large mass on a string bouncing around inside the car was somehow bad.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Passaable wrote:

We have an '05 Saab 93. We found some used Ksport coilovers to stiffen things up, and have 3' camber on the front. This dramatically helped the typical understeer into corners.

We also did a lot of weight removal in the car. It was a convertible so we removed the top. The final weight distribution is 64% on the front wheels, 36% on the back.

With this weight distribution and the tighter suspension, we have the back end go out on tight corners. We basically have no braking at all on any slightly turned position of the car downhill without it wildly swinging out. It gets a bit loose in chicanes because of this.

I get it won't help on slow speed corners. I'm hoping it may help us push faster through carousels, e.g. rather than spin out hopefully all four wheels would slide to give us a chance at recovery. Maybe more stable in chicanes such as the back part of the Sonoma course.

I love the idea of incorporating the airplane theme for a wing into the Saab theme. I'd prefer some option to make it out of aluminum versus the pain of dealing with fiberglass if possible. So far I've only found examples of folks making fiber glass ones. There's also super cheap wings and spoilers on ebay though I am quite skeptical those will be functional.

Hints, tips or tricks on how to build this would be awesome.

rear toe?
rear camber?
Hot tire pressures are?
what tire and what size?
what rear brake pads?
put a proportioning valve in the rear lines to help limit the rear brake bite

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

^ Yes, that was when they still had the "Most Dangerous Banned Technology" as an award.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

22 (edited by VKZ24 2021-03-01 11:49 AM)

Passaable wrote:

Not trying to sound like a smart a$$, but the whole point of coil-overs is for weight distribution.  Whey would you have 64/36 when the goal is 50/50 (with driver)?

FWIW, we have a set $50 Ebay coil-overs. We spent about two hours with a set of scales.  With the driver in the car, and a half tank of fuel,  we're now almost dead on 50/50 balance.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Not trying to sound like a smart a$$, but the whole point of coil-overs is for weight distribution.  Whey would you have 64/36 when the goal is 50/50 (with driver)?

FWIW, we have a set $50 Ebay coil-overs. We spent about two hours with a set of scales.  With the driver in the car, and a half tank of fuel,  we're now almost dead on 50/50 balance.

Thats not 100% correct, while you can zero out crossweights or hit a target number you cant always 50/50 a car, also 50/50 isnt really the best weight distribution for a car especially fwd.

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

NOPANTSDOUGIE wrote:

Thats not 100% correct, while you can zero out crossweights or hit a target number you cant always 50/50 a car, also 50/50 isnt really the best weight distribution for a car especially fwd.

Works just fine on my 50/50 cross-weighted FWD Integra.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I think you all know the short answer on why we haven't used the coilovers to balance our car - we don't really know what we are doing.

My assumption was to get it balanced the back end would have to be much lower than the front end, and thus it would have some weird aerodynamics problems.

If you folks are saying it can be done, and works reasonably well - we will definitely give it a go.

Also - if 50/50 is not the ideal balance - I'd love to learn more on why that is for fwd cars.

Thanks for all your insights!