Topic: Are we doing this right?

https://cdn.imgpaste.net/2021/03/09/PRP1N.png
https://cdn.imgpaste.net/2021/03/09/PRQBF.png

1980 MGB, junkyard eaton M90, CCC quadrabog (also from junkyard, not installed yet). What could possibly go wrong? tongue

Thoughts? Suggestions?

'Dis not gonna be cheap...

Re: Are we doing this right?

cool. I know a guy that put the driveline from a Ford T-bird turbo coupe in one. Rebuild the quadrobog and roll.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Personally, I'd go with an SU like the mgb supercharger kits from Moss Motors.

We have two SUs but they're too small and probably worth more to ebay them anyway. Also I couldn't pass up the quadrabog when I saw it, seems too perfect for Lemons.

I have a big(ger) set of SUs than came with an MGB... off a Volvo something. You can have them for the same price that I got them for and you can pick them up later this month/early next month a couple hours away from Bel Air, or at Pitt.

They are a bit manky and need a carby-lovers love... but I got them for free. H's or something. I forget the SU lore I temporarily learned when I got them a couple of years ago.

That guy

The moss kit would have originally come with an SU H6 carb (i.e. 1 3/4).  Seems like a quadrajet would massively overcarb that setup plus require a fair bit of work to adapt.  That Stromberg appears to be a 175 but the problem with that one is that it's a later one without an adjustable jet or many options in needle jets.  You can always sand down those jets however.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

The moss kit doesn't actually add much power at all, people are saying they get less than 100hp total. The quadrajet is pretty big but the small primaries should help compensate, we have a plan for adapting. Hey, it was never about serious performance as much as being utterly stupid tongue I'm trying to get the IOE here.

Stock 80 MGB would be a strong IOE contender at any race.  As someone who has 6 or 7 IOE patches on their uniform the main thing I can stress is that you have to make laps.  A lot of them, like finish at or near the top half of the field.  An MGB with a kludged blower that makes 20 laps is at best an Org Choice contender.  I get the enthusiasm but it seems like the window for winning an IOE is generally only a handful of races.  IMHO if it takes you more than, I'd guess at most, 3 races to get that kludge to run long enough to get near the top half then the ship has sailed for winning IOE.  Granted every once in a while they give it to a pile that keeps showing up and not winning IOE but even then it needs to run a lot of laps.  The guy offering you the free SUs is a great example.  Wouldn't you think a diesel Porsche 924 should be an easy shoo-in for IOE just by showing up?  Not so much.  Gotta run laps.   If you are serious about IOE as a goal, I suggest either running the MGB unblown or go with what has proven with that setup which is an SU and run it pig rich so you don't burn it down.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

So, if we could somehow make the MGB finish in the top half with the blower do you think we'd have a good shot at the IOE?

10 (edited by Spank 2021-03-09 01:41 PM)

danielp3344 wrote:

So, if we could somehow make the MGB finish in the top half with the blower do you think we'd have a good shot at the IOE?

It depends on whether or not a Gaz Volga or a Moskovitch shows up at the same race, but top half for a MGB with or without a blower puts you in a "It's yours to lose" category in my book.

danielp3344 wrote:

The blower puts you as the front runner for "I got screwed".

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

danielp3344 wrote:

I'd say a fair shot, although a lot would depend on what else was running at that race.

There's a significant amount of capriciousness in deciding these awards, but a somewhat consistent factor is a sliding scale of expectations. If you bring something that makes the judges and organizers seriously question your fundamental grasp of objective reality, then it just needs to turn laps for most of the weekend to be in contention. The laps don't necessarily need to be fast enough to accumulate into a high-placing finish. If, on the other hand, you bring something that's a poor choice for endurance road racing but not staggeringly, wilfully inappropriate, then it had better not only turn laps all weekend but do so at a fast enough rate to finish correspondingly higher in the standings. Nothing's guaranteed, though. In this case, the fact that Moss makes a similar kit for MGBs and that regular, non-insane MBG owners (to the extent that this is a thing) install them of their own free will, suggests that this setup would be closer to the "poor choice" end of the spectrum than the "probably beyond the reach of professional counseling" end of the spectrum.

I guess the short version is that if I were to set out to drive another MGB in Lemons, I'd put a BMC B-Series diesel in it.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

danielp3344 wrote:

IMHO, with or without blower you have a very high probability of winning IOE if you finish in the top half with an MGB.  You will get exceptions of course.  I lost IOE with a Rover SD1 to a stock 1950 Dodge truck.  Both finished in/near the top half of the field.  I can't fault their choice on that one.  I could have had a hoopty ass blower on the Rover and it wouldn't have made a difference.  The same would have been true with your MGB.  If you think that the blower would put you over the top in an IOE race, I dont think it will.  If it's that close between you and another pile I'd say the blower gives you  Org Choice which is 1st IOE loser/kissing your sister/doesn't pay a dime.  Org Choice is the category they save for something cool and if it's a tossup in their mind for IOE, the cool one gets Org Choice and I'd put a blown MGB in that category. 

Of course, thats just my opinion man.

Gone bye-bye

mharrell wrote:
danielp3344 wrote:

I'd say a fair shot, although a lot would depend on what else was running at that race.

This is the wildcard in the deck....
As a mere mortal with only 5 I.O.E.patches on my uniform,I will say that there is really no guarantee that the clapped out POS you bring won't be 'out-clapped' by something else.The trouble is,you won't know you've been outdone until race weekend rolls around and you get to see the rest of the field.....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

cheseroo wrote:

I could have had a hoopty ass blower on the Rover and it wouldn't have made a difference.

who did more laps? boost = faster = more laps, duh

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?