1 (edited by Sledge 2021-03-17 01:35 PM)

Topic: Complete Team - 97 Thunderbird and Enclosed Trailer - $25k - DFW

I am selling the entirety of my racing team, everything you need to get started in one go, all you need is a tow vehicle and a junkyard Ford 4.6L.

First off, the trailer:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fKd-JSeVWZZbQ0ICqLxr6zJqp3UQ5qt516lIWtihpC-wAwmId2E0cj9tUQWnPbuioCr9jyx1snFRDJ-xXyDHLkugyNELiS9xC98YDB7OUa5qhS5Im26JcHf2ELMN70cgAF2KYrmUQO5bo-Q4kYzQSM=w1534-h863-no?authuser=0
2012 Cargo Craft Dragster - 24' Enclosed V-Nose
5200lb axles
Electric Brakes
Air Conditioned
Insulated
50-Amp service plug for Generator hookup
1 Exterior 50-Amp plug for Welder/Plasma Cutter
4 Exterior 20-amp plugs
Exterior Flood Light
Roll-Out Awning
Work Bench inside
Storage rack for misc parts
Fluorescent Lighting
Multiple 120V Outlets inside
Smoke/CO detector
Will include Load Levelling hitch with 2-5/16" ball and Anti-Sway bars
Also included is a full set of Sampson Racing Radios with Headsets and Microphones

Trailer tows great, all lights work, brakes work, and all other electrical works and has been tested as of today.  On race weekends we could fit everything we needed in this trailer, and I would even sleep inside after we unloaded the car.  Really beats tent camping on the weekends!
You won't find a better equipped trailer anywhere.

The Car:

1997 Ford Thunderbird - Lemons Veteran

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3e04QKqrGFo2Rgx7jS_ke9GChgRoyq8ftAtvynqgkjzBccTkycxy_pzO7KqSr738qvA07rHfp3z-WnIiiEdsCCm1nHeo02fWDALM-2COk7ETzmudy9dRmY-Vs0UHsna3EHqvbtPlVFmY1jfQkdOZDuk=w1150-h863-no?authuser=0

1.75" x.120" DOM Roll cage - Installed by Matt Lemons @ Lemco Motorsports.  Both the Driver and Passenger have Push-Out style side bars for added protection.
Sparco Evo II Seat
Sparco 6 Point Harness (Expired 2015, will need replacement but all connections are in place)
Manual Transmission Swap - T-45 with Pro 5.0 shifter
Gripforce F1 Clutch
Strut Tower Brace
Steel Brake Lines
Powerslot Rotors
Porterfield Brake Pads - with spares
18" Wheels with Falken Azenis 615Ks 255/40/R18 - Two Full sets (total of 9 wheels/tires)

Cheaty Parts:
Full set of PI Heads
SCT Tuner
Ported Exhaust Manifolds
Addco 1-3/8 inch Rear Sway Bar
Griffin 2.68" radiator
Aluminum Lincoln Mk VIII Driveshaft
Ford Racing Remote Oil filters - high flow
High Flow Thermostat
High Flow Anti-Cavitation Water Pump

Large amount of parts/spares included

The fuel system has been modified to be safer as well as being much faster to refuel.  There is now a 2" Ball Valve in the trunk that flows directly into the stock tank, allowing much faster fuel transfer from our modified fuel jugs.  This alone allowed us to get our pit stops down to less than 45 seconds with a driver change.  System was inspected and approved by Safety before the race (by John Pagel) and at the safety inspection.

Has completed 6 races, and placed 8th overall at the Texas World Speedway race.  It's a great handling and fast running vehicle that is comfortable and easy to drive!

During the last race, we had an engine failure.  Not sure exactly what went wrong, but one of the pistons lost a bit of metal and the engine chewed it up.  Right now the easy way to get this car back on the track is to grab a 4.6 Modular and throw it in, easy weekend job.  The PI heads are included, so that option is there for you (the ECU is currently tuned for PI heads on 93 octane).  This car is extremely quick, and I was never a good enough driver to unleash its potential.

I can deliver the whole setup to a reasonable distance of Dallas, TX.  Longer distances can be worked out with some compensation

$25k OBO

Full Album of Trailer and Car pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h8k7smPTAVH94yad7

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

Re: Complete Team - 97 Thunderbird and Enclosed Trailer - $25k - DFW

Cool trailer but 25k. seems a bit stout for a Lemons car with a bad motor and a nice trailer. 1

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse with 90 whopping HP.

OBO usually means that he's open to offers for less... But if you're talking about value, then "an engine" is usually low on the cost list of running a complete setup.

I saw a dodge neon team use three engines in one weekend at a race last year, talking to them it seems like they just have a stock of spare engines at this point since they're so readily available. I see more teams swapping engines in a weekend at Lemons than teams swapping out brake pads at a chump race.

Since it completed 6 races, then probably a lot of tech issues and high-wear parts have already been ironed out as well.

1992 Suzuki Cappuccino: way too small to ever fit safety equipment for Lemons...
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger... Don't, get, eliminated...

harnishclan wrote:

Cool trailer but 25k. seems a bit stout for a Lemons car with a bad motor and a nice trailer. 1

I think there is a bit of an underestimation here on how much work goes into a Class A contenting team.  I understand, I thought it was easy too when I first started, but I learned quick.
What you're paying for here isn't necessarily the trailer, which you would have to spend at least $15k to find a comparable one, even used.  You aren't even paying just for the car, which has over $9k in safety equipment alone.
What you are paying for is the countless hours of work put into this vehicle.  The work put into designing a strut tower brace that stopped the flexing of the front end (which can cause serious damage to the front suspension, as other MN12 racers have discovered).  The three different brake pad compounds we went through before we finally discovered which one would last a whole race and give us great performance.  The two different brake rotor designs we tried before I finally found a brand that wouldn't crack under the high heat.  The three different radio setups that didn't work before we finally found some higher power headsets that would work around the whole track.  The half-dozen Tech inspections we went through, the fuel system changes that we got certified and have been track tested and proven, the time spent finding out how to wire a kill switch to an engine with two ignition coils.

All that isn't including the hours we spent stripping tar-backed sound deadening out of the vehicle, or prepping the car for cage installation, or sealing holes in the firewall.  Or figuring out how to swap a T45 manual into a car that only offered a 4R70W Automatic from the factory.  Or the cheaty parts that let us outrun and out-turn just about anything on the track.

You're paying for years of hard work, and the ability to spend a single weekend swapping an engine, which can be found for a couple hundred at ANY junkyard in the US, and then get out onto the track and start endurance racing.  Everything else is done, right down to the trailer hitch you hook it up to.  And 4.6s are extremely reliable in this series, we ran 6 races on a 176k mile 4.6 and only on race 7 did we experience a failure.
Not worth the full $25k?  Maybe, but I guarantee you will spend at least that much getting any car, trailer, and team to this level from scratch.

A couple more data should be helpful to viewers in your write-up:

1. Expiration of harness
2. Specifics of the fire suppression system.

The participation dates in your history are quite dated, and I jumped to a conclusion; some here have mentioned out-of-stock situations in the above.

That said, I think this was a fair write-up, and a fair price for the package as you're selling it; that's just my opinion.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

A couple more data should be helpful to viewers in your write-up:

1. Expiration of harness
2. Specifics of the fire suppression system.

The participation dates in your history are quite dated, and I jumped to a conclusion; some here have mentioned out-of-stock situations in the above.

That said, I think this was a fair write-up, and a fair price for the package as you're selling it; that's just my opinion.

Harness expired in 2015, will need to be replaced.
I don't think fire suppression systems were required when I was racing, there is a 2.5-lb Bottle mounted near the driver for manual use.

I will happily sell any of our current and class A competitive (or even past winning) cars, along with a very well built aluminum 20' trailer with insulation and 110v wiring and everything for $25k.  And I don't even want to sell them, but I'll still be happy about it. 

Good luck with your sale.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Given this is a Complete Team for sale... could you list the included team members?

Maybe offer some pix and a quick assessment of the ratio of Work to Drinking I could reasonable expect to get out of them?  All deloused?  Anyone wanted in certain states, or by the Feds?  Any 4-legged, well-mannered cuties?

Who is included might make or break the deal.

rpmengineering wrote:

Given this is a Complete Team for sale... could you list the included team members?

Who is included might make or break the deal.

It's possible that they too are broken and require replacement.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Not trying to detract from how nice of a setup this is, it's REALLY nice, but it seems a bit steep. We purchased a Miata champ car team for $5500... came with a running caged miata, an 18' fully loaded enclosed trailer, and almost an extra cars worth of parts. As you mentioned, there's thousands of time dollars in the years of hard work, but very few people are willing to pay for your time with a prebuilt race car. Have you considered piecing it out/selling the car and trailer separately? You might have a shot of reaching your target if sold separately.

duthehustle93 wrote:

Not trying to detract from how nice of a setup this is, it's REALLY nice, but it seems a bit steep. We purchased a Miata champ car team for $5500... came with a running caged miata, an 18' fully loaded enclosed trailer, and almost an extra cars worth of parts. [snip]

You definitely got a really good deal on your car and trailer combination.

This guy's got a _long_ trailer (you know, everything's bigger in Texas ... ) and that extra 3rd of length is the money shot. It's even got the V-nose in the front, which is a good place to store the spent fluids.

What still amazes me it that there are people on this site that have no interest in buying this set up that feel the need to express their opinion on the price.  Here is something, if you don't like the price, you don't have to buy it or post your opinion about it. 

I had the same thing recently where someone here just had to post his opinion on the price I had a car listed for.  Without knowing one critical detail, he posted that my price was too high, and he just had to express his opinion of me as well.   Mind you, he also had ZERO interest in buying ANY car at the time, but still JUST HAD TO post.  What he did not know, is that I had all sorts of interest in the car for the sales price, but all the very serious potential buyers that were asking about it were 800 to 3000 miles away.  Again, the sales price was not the issue, it was the transport that made it impractical to those buyers.   I did find that car a home for my list price to someone close enough to make the transport a non issue.

To the O/P: Nice set up.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2