Topic: Front Disc Brakes on Rear

First time doing Lemons, aiming to enter a 2002 Subaru Forester that we got for free in exchange for the lift kit off of it and tires from my dad. The rear brakes are drum, since its a lower trim, but I have parts car that is the higher spec model with rear disc brakes, so I figured I would switch them. As I was thinking about it though, I figured I could finagle the front brake assembly from that car onto the rear of the Lemons car, so I would be going from a drum brake to a slotted, 2 piston rear disc. The only problem I thought was if the rears lock up first, given the weight transfer. Would y'all think this would be an issue?

Re: Front Disc Brakes on Rear

Most of your braking is done with the front brakes. If your parts car has rear discs I would use them instead of fitting the front brakes of a vehicle to the rear.  Your fear of brake lockup is very likely. Can you work around this, sure but you'll not gain much with the bigger brakes in the rear verses the stock rear disc set up.

Keep things simple. Since this is your first build simple is always better. Many Lemons racers have raced cars with rear drums successfully but since you have a stock setup available to you go with it.

Like above, simple is best

Fit the upgrade brakes complete as presented from the other car, do not forget the prop valve.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Our Tbird has Mazda MPV front discs on the rear. I haven’t changed those brakes since I built the car in 2012. As others have said, the fronts do all the work. Rears just keep the car straight.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

I tend to agree with the other posters...HOWEVER

One of the last things we did on our Camaro was upgrade the drums to discs and we used a circle track caliper from willwood that was meant for the front of your typical Monte Carlo circle track car.  We installed an adjustable prop valve to make it work right and the car did indeed stop better.   

Then again thats a Camaro with a stick axle. 

First time doing Lemons??

Keep it simple!  Gain some experience and maybe try the disk upgrade at a later race if you think you need it.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

jimbbski wrote:

Most of your braking is done with the front brakes. If your parts car has rear discs I would use them instead of fitting the front brakes of a vehicle to the rear.  Your fear of brake lockup is very likely. Can you work around this, sure but you'll not gain much with the bigger brakes in the rear verses the stock rear disc set up.

Keep things simple. Since this is your first build simple is always better. Many Lemons racers have raced cars with rear drums successfully but since you have a stock setup available to you go with it.

/agree

Stick with the stock rear calipers like others have said. If you put front discs on the rear you could also lose your parking brake because the front won't have provisions for it.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Thanks to all, for this year at least I will stick with stock rear disc setup.