1 (edited by mthew_m 2021-03-26 12:12 PM)

Topic: 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3800 CX *Free* Raleigh, NC

Yes, free, if put to semi good use.  I could take it to the scrap mound and collect my $200 for it, but, I decided to take a minute and see if anyone else wants to make a terrible idea out of it.  Lemons, RallyX, Gambler, etc - this car would be perfect for any of those endeavors.  143k miles on the car, but, it donated its good 3800 to a 111k mile Lucerne project I'm working on, and I'm including the Lucerne's engine here - it does need some work.  The car ran and drove fine before I pulled the engine, I even drove it to the dump 10 miles away, sat in line for a long time,  they told me I could not, in fact, put the car into the crusher machine (okay, I was dropping off an accumulation of dirty stuff), and drove it back home.  By that time, the transmission had dumped enough of its fluid that it was acting up a bit, but, overall, no drama on the trip.   

The bad:
- Engine needs head gaskets (potentially more, but, I haven't opened it up).  111k miles, but, was overheated badly and driven home.  Still runs, but, pukes coolant out of the spark plug hole if you crank it with them out.
- Transmission leaks.  It seems to be leaking from one of the axle seals, but I can neither confirm nor deny.  It does mostly shift fine, on what is likely the original transmission fluid.
- The interior reaks, and is very, very worn.  It was a mail delivery car.  Everything seems to work, except for the A/C.
- Mail delivery car, and, apparently the driver made it a point to hit every single mailbox along their route.  At a glance, the car looks mostly whole, but, pretty much every single body panel has a notable imperfection on it.
- The brakes are a little soft - they'll reliably stop the car, but, are a little 'off'.   

The good:
- Series III 3800, so it probably just needs new head gaskets.  And, new head gaskets are the perfect opportunity to do a top-swap for a supercharger...
- The engine is already out of the car!  Easy to do anything to it.  I can put the engine back in the car and secure the mounts, just for transporting, if that's desired.  Also, easy to check the transmission and make any repairs necessary to it (and the brakes).  I even labeled all the bolts I removed and put them in nice little baggies. 
- Interior will need to be torn out for your needs anyway.
- It's a GM W-body - the drivetrain combinations are endless, if you don't want to stick with the heavy, physically large 3800.  Iron Duke?  LS4 V8? DOHC V6 (choice of 3!!)  5-speed manual, or a 3,4,or 6 speed automatic?  All came from the factory in a W-body - as did GMs best engine, the 60 degree V6, from the 2.8 all the way up to the mighty 3.9. It's a decent sized engine bay, so I'm sure plenty of terrible, awful ideas would fit too.  Like a Volvo TT I-6 that came bolted up to the 4T65E this car uses...  Also, tons of good brake and suspension upgrades available too. 

Let me know if you have questions, car is located in Raleigh, NC.  I don't have a title, but, I've done the NC 'lost title' thing before, and can do it again (costs ~$150, plus transferring the title to you in your state - if you're in NC, I can just walk you through the process), or you could Vermont title it, assuming you need a title.  I can potentially assist in transportation, I have a trailer with a winch.

Edit: I have no idea how to post pictures, the car is silver with steel wheels (3 Buick hubcaps, one mismatch, lol).

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"In a race where everyone runs a Buick V6, their Buick ran a Chevy V6.  And a crappy one at that!"
IOE - Lemons Block Party (minus the block party) CMP 2020

Re: 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3800 CX *Free* Raleigh, NC

Facebook ad, with a few pictures. I think you can see it even without a FB account.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it … t&_rdr

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"In a race where everyone runs a Buick V6, their Buick ran a Chevy V6.  And a crappy one at that!"
IOE - Lemons Block Party (minus the block party) CMP 2020