Topic: Help deciding racing suit

My son and I are part of a 4 person team racing in Illinois(Autobahn) August 14/15.  It will probably be 90-100 degrees and humid.  Should we buy the single layer or double layer suit?  We were leaning towards the double layer and buying the deluxe kit for $1000, including helmet and shoes from the Lemons store.   He is 6’5” 185 lbs and I am 6’2” 200 lbs-we thought about sharing a suit and wondered if a large is best or should we go to Xlarge?  Do they run baggy or tight?   Since it will be hot and sweaty, it is probably a better idea to have our own suits.  Thanks.

Re: Help deciding racing suit

I can't speak to size, but get the double layer suits they are much cooler, no nomex long underwear needed.  Check out raceimage dot com they sell used NASCAR suits, most are hardly used, for about 1/4 of the retail price.  You just have to live with all the advertising on them.

I'd get a suit that doesn't require any undergarments. Try ebay you can find used units for a good price. I'm 6'1" 185 and the large fits ok, but it is a little snug in the crotch with my arms stretched out. I'd but 2 suits, nobody wants to put on a sweaty suit. And both will require XL I suspect. To keep cool I make thin ice packs, I place them on my chest inside the suit once I am strapped in.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

4 (edited by rb92673 2021-05-11 07:15 AM)

Measure yourself and get a suit that fits your biggest measurement. You can always shorten the legs or sleeves, but it is hard to and more room for your crotch or belly.

Double layer for sure.

We run cool shirts and a homemade cooler that works sometimes.

You can also rent suits at race suit rentals.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

The vendor I used for my suit emphasized actual measurements, rather than "clothing size"; which turned out to be about 4.5" different in the case of my waist, I think.

6 (edited by chaase 2021-05-11 10:21 AM)

ukemike wrote:

I can't speak to size, but get the double layer suits they are much cooler, no nomex long underwear needed.  Check out raceimage dot com they sell used NASCAR suits, most are hardly used, for about 1/4 of the retail price.  You just have to live with all the advertising on them.

Another vote for raceimage. You can get suits by size and they are a lot more comfortable. I would go with double layer as they tend to be cooler. If you end up being cold when winter comes, you can always put on the nomex underwear for warmth and an extra layer of protection.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

7 (edited by MDG 2021-05-11 07:15 PM)

rb92673 wrote:

We run cool shirts and a homemade cooler that works sometimes.

Homemade cooler is the way to go, our expensive name brand cooler mostly didn't work until we replaced the pump with one that wasn't broken, then we couldn't get enough block ice into it to last full stints so we had to build our own larger one anyway. You may be like us and think "we've built every damn piece of this car, can't we just buy a cooler so we don't have to build that?" The answer is no, you'll have to build one anyway.

https://engelcoolers.com/collections/dr … box-cooler

Thanks for the responses. We are long in the torso so we will probably buy two piece suits so we don’t get pinched in the crotch all day racing.  Any tips on how to make the home-made coolers?  Also, we removed the HVAC-we aren’t racing at night and have an open cockpit-do we need to worry about windshield fog?  Do we need a fan blowing on the windshield?

9 (edited by cheseroo 2021-05-12 12:48 PM)

Lots and lots of info on cool suit stuff if you google "DIY racing cool suit"  But here's a thread on it.

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … hp?id=9650

Short version - Walmart 12v bilge pump, 1/4" tubing from Lowe's/Home Depot Racing.  A couple of pipe nipples and silicone sealer to use as bulkhead fittings.  I forget the size of the pump output but I used the same size pipe for the bulkhead nipples with a couple of pipe nuts and then an adapter to step down to 1/4" tube.  Dry break fittings from McMaster-Carr and an old cooler.  Personally, I bought an already done shirt from UltraChiller but you can make your own shirts.  https://ultrachiller.com/collections/li … m-required  Assuming you get the correct size, the McMaster-Carr dry breaks are the same fittings as come with the ultrachiller shirt.

As far as fogging, you'd have to ask the midwest folks.  Myself, I kinda like these guys https://frostfighter.com/clear-view-def … -about.htm

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

10 (edited by bobnowoc 2021-05-12 05:07 PM)

100 degree heat.  You will not want to be the second guy in that suit.  Buy a suit that fits one of you.  If budget is tight, rent a suit for the other guy.  You do not want to put on a sweaty helmet and fire suit.   Also, you need 2-3 fully suited guys if you want to use the hot pits.  We had four.  1. The driver who is exhausted pulls into pit.  2.  The new driver helps him unbuckle. 3. Holds fire extinguisher.   4. Fills gas.  1. old driver does up belts for new driver.  Zoom

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

If renting, racesuitrental.com rents everything.  $200 rental with $500 refundable deposit.  We got all our deposits back in 2 days.  They were great

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Thanks for the advice.  My son and I are 6’5” /6’2”  and long in the torso-do most people wear one piece or two piece suits?  I worry the one piece will be rising up in our crotch the whole time we are racing.

13 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2021-05-14 06:39 PM)

I'm under 5'9", and the torso on generic coveralls I'll use do that, even for XLarge size. Time to try on the suit I bought a year ago! Thanks for mentioning that.

14 (edited by Guildenstern 2021-05-14 03:20 PM)

If it's fit right it won't ride up. If you're already in the 2 layer price range, for a little more you can have a suit made to your fit.

https://www.wescoperformance.com/sq-stp … t-cus.html

https://www.wescoperformance.com/buyoowncuras.html

And you can make it your own colors too!

Edit: yea the pricing has gone up since last time I looked. So assume normal suits will follow soon enough.
Also you can even do custom Proban Cotton 1 layers. As someone with a 3x waist and a 1-2x shoulder (Aka The Grimace) custom fit is nice.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I tried on the suit I bought - it was two years ago (seems like I forgot about 2020) from RaceImage. Thank you for mentioning your concern.

I used ~4-6" more than both my dress jacket size and pant size for khaki's which would be comfortable to sit and drive in for several hours; if I was active and wearing these pants, I'd have to wear a belt.

Bending over only enough to reach, I was able to pinch a thumb and forefinger amount of extra material underneath me.

Other than the warmth during the summer, I'm more comfortable in the race suit than in any of the 10 coveralls I own.

But you and your son are in a different dimension percentile than I; I hope you find something that fits you well.

keep in mind sizing/proportions change depending on the brand. I have the figure of a toothpick and I've found alpinestars fits me like a glove. On the other hand, an american brand such as Simpson or Pyrotect fits me like a bag. If your shaped like an american, go american; if your shaped like a european go european. I'd also plan on spending at least $400, we have a couple G-force/racequip entry level suits (I think <$300), a couple A/S knoxville suits (~$400), and an A/S GP-pro suit (~$1000). The mid-high tier suits makes going back to the entry level ones unbearable in the heat, but the difference between the knoxville and GP-pro isn't worth the extra coin for our level of performance.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

duthehustle93 wrote:

keep in mind sizing/proportions change depending on the brand. I have the figure of a toothpick and I've found alpinestars fits me like a glove. On the other hand, an american brand such as Simpson or Pyrotect fits me like a bag. If your shaped like an american, go american; if your shaped like a european go european. I'd also plan on spending at least $400, we have a couple G-force/racequip entry level suits (I think <$300), a couple A/S knoxville suits (~$400), and an A/S GP-pro suit (~$1000). The mid-high tier suits makes going back to the entry level ones unbearable in the heat, but the difference between the knoxville and GP-pro isn't worth the extra coin for our level of performance.

To expand a little more on the sizing thing....I had the luxury of searching eBay (as well asRaceImage,etc.) and I was able to score a Simpson M.T.O. (made to order) suit from a Nascar Truck Series team that went belly-up mid-season...Like I said,I was able to search and wait til the right one popped up.I already had 2 suits,so I was able to wait.I am also 'toothpick' shaped (6'4" / 185#) This suit is top quality and fits like it was made for me.....If you check out the Simpson MTO web site,this thing is a $1,000 suit,easily......I offered them $200.,and they accepted the offer.Just gotta check all the measurements and wait til the right one comes along....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Nomex race suits are thinner and cooler than treated cotton suits.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z