Topic: Spectator friendly? Planning to watch Sept 25th Race at NCM M P..

Hello,

So having watched the YouTube videos for several years, I want to come and watch an event first-hand.  But are they really spectator friendly, or are the only people who attend generally competitors?

I assume that there are burger vans etc ?

I live in Columbus IN, and since I have given up on there ever being a race at the local Indianapolis Motor Speedway, or in fact any event in Indiana at all, I guess the event in Bowling Green is the nearest to me.

Thanks,

Neil.

Re: Spectator friendly? Planning to watch Sept 25th Race at NCM M P..

The only issue currently is COVID. It's hard to say if it'll be open to spectators by then, we can only hope! The "loophole" that's been happening currently is you just add yourself into crew ($75) into a team and that's how you spectate. I'm sure anyone would be happy to help you out with that, if I was going to that event I'd have no problem with adding you as crew.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Unless the track specifically tells us no spectators, we should be open to spectators for the rest of the year.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

duthehustle93 wrote:

The only issue currently is COVID. It's hard to say if it'll be open to spectators by then, we can only hope! The "loophole" that's been happening currently is you just add yourself into crew ($75) into a team and that's how you spectate. I'm sure anyone would be happy to help you out with that, if I was going to that event I'd have no problem with adding you as crew.

The spectator ban has been lifted on recent races.

Shedtastic wrote:

Hello,

So having watched the YouTube videos for several years, I want to come and watch an event first-hand.  But are they really spectator friendly, or are the only people who attend generally competitors?

I live in Columbus IN, and since I have given up on there ever being a race at the local Indianapolis Motor Speedway, or in fact any event in Indiana at all, I guess the event in Bowling Green is the nearest to me.

Thanks,

Neil.

Spectating a Lemons race is a mixed bag.  BS and Tech inspection can be entertaining.  Observing the various all night wrenching sessions in Saturday night roving paddock party.  Give or take, about an hour of watching the actual racing is my limit...even as a driver, owner and wrench.

NCM might not be the easiest to spectate at but my memory or racing there is long ago.  Barber would be ideal and Autobahn in Joliet, IL is pretty good as well as you can go up on the observation deck.

Regardless, if you want the most out of spectating, try to get a "local" to show you around.  Otherwise, it is just hours of droning and farting motors barely encased in cars punctuated by second of entertainment when one blows up spectacularly.  Let me know if you need a tour guide...we should be racing the '47 Plymouth at NCM.

Shedtastic wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Neil.

Hey man, one of our teammates is in Columbus. You could trek up to Gingerman in a week and a half as well (about as far as Bowling Green). But if you make it there or NCM in September let me know, we need more drivers for next year. Spectating should be alright to check out how it goes at an event but I wouldn't mind another crew member either.

No food trucks typically but Gingerman and Joliet have food / concessions on-site. I don't recall if NCM had a grill or just snacks but there's fast food down the street by the museum or people grill out. Pre-COVID the pitch-ins were amazing.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

therood wrote:

Unless the track specifically tells us no spectators, we should be open to spectators for the rest of the year.

Good to know thanks!

OnkelUdo wrote:

Spectating a Lemons race is a mixed bag.  BS and Tech inspection can be entertaining.  Observing the various all night wrenching sessions in Saturday night roving paddock party.  Give or take, about an hour of watching the actual racing is my limit...even as a driver, owner and wrench.

NCM might not be the easiest to spectate at but my memory or racing there is long ago.  Barber would be ideal and Autobahn in Joliet, IL is pretty good as well as you can go up on the observation deck.

Regardless, if you want the most out of spectating, try to get a "local" to show you around.  Otherwise, it is just hours of droning and farting motors barely encased in cars punctuated by second of entertainment when one blows up spectacularly.  Let me know if you need a tour guide...we should be racing the '47 Plymouth at NCM.

Really appreciate the info, and the offer of the tour guide!   I think my main interest will be mooching about the paddock area..

SwarlesInCharge wrote:

Hey man, one of our teammates is in Columbus. You could trek up to Gingerman in a week and a half as well (about as far as Bowling Green). But if you make it there or NCM in September let me know, we need more drivers for next year. Spectating should be alright to check out how it goes at an event but I wouldn't mind another crew member either.

No food trucks typically but Gingerman and Joliet have food / concessions on-site. I don't recall if NCM had a grill or just snacks but there's fast food down the street by the museum or people grill out. Pre-COVID the pitch-ins were amazing.

Again, thanks for the hospitality, if I make it to either event I'll be sure to look out for you and say hi. 
Re: South Haven: it's a bit further afield, but not by much.  I have a secret plan to take the family there for the school fall break vacation, and, y'know, by coincidence  be able to go to a day of Lemons on the Oct 9th & 10th Weekend...  (Am i a good father or what?)

There's usually something to eat at the track, but it would probably be a good Idea to just bring some of your own food.

NCM had a pretty cool Teriyaki Bowl truck there last time we were there. But, again, no guarantees.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport