Topic: burning through budget (literally)

Soooo, hypothetically, what if you buy a 260Z for $500 from your neighbor, and then accidentally set it on fire, burning up the distributor, the wiring harness, the fan, and melting the solder in the radiator.

Would it be reasonable to claim "free car" at that point? Maybe even a bit negative?

Asking for a friend.

2 (edited by chaase 2021-07-07 07:04 AM)

Re: burning through budget (literally)

I wouldn't worry too much about the budget for a stock 260z. Build it to be safe and pass tech.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Take pictures of the carnage and create a bribe for the judges from the melted parts. Replace with stock parts, new or junkyard. 

Don't stress it on a 260z.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Good call on the bribe :-)

+1 on not stressing BS with your car. We have a "-$" ($0) miata and I brought a whole stack of paperwork getting ready to argue, but because were not competitive and our car wasn't cheaty it was never even a discussion. We got put in A because it was a miata and got 0 penalty laps which is fair. I'd bet they wouldn't look twice at your car.

Also, you can't have a negative value, best you'll get is $0, but I don't think your mistake could technically lower the value of the car. Personally, I wouldn't be offended by racing against a 260Z with a set of coilovers.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

6 (edited by MDG 2021-07-21 05:04 PM)

You'll be fine, especially if there's video evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpB3A6Itq5M

Credit given where credit is due, this video is why we always roll the car out into the environment and have a fire extinguisher handy before we do a first-start after major work. Thanks anonymous internet dude, you're a stand-up guy.

CapnVolvo wrote:

Soooo, hypothetically, what if you buy a 260Z for $500 from your neighbor, and then accidentally set it on fire, burning up the distributor, the wiring harness, the fan, and melting the solder in the radiator.

Would it be reasonable to claim "free car" at that point? Maybe even a bit negative?

Asking for a friend.

Not sure I understand this. Just replace it all, it doesn't go against your cost. You can only go to $0. Sell anything of value left on the car that you will not need, interior parts, trim, wheels...then deduct that from the $600. Our 1st build (84 Trans Am RIP) cost $850, we sold over $1500 worth of parts, (actual L69 fresh air car complete why did we cut it up?) So we started at $0. Just make it safe and reliable as you can. Passing tech should be your main goal for your 1st race.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

P.S. sounds like a nice time to drop in a SBC

"get up and get your grandma outta here"