1 (edited by TWB503 2021-10-06 11:29 AM)

Topic: Young person looking for a team!

I’m Conner Smith, I’m a 17 year old driver living in Plano (Willing to drive up to 400 miles away for a race), and after taking some lessons on how to drive around a track, I would like to have some real experience racing! I’ve had a lot of practice in Assetto Corsa, and I can work the gears on my manual Jetta good (Yes, I have a drivers license… Ladies, one at a time wink [I’m kidding obv, dunno how else to try and show humour:D]) so… must mean I’m born to race! (/s)
But seriously, I wanna do something to let me drive a real car. But, I also know a fair bit about the engineering inside cars and engines, so I may be able to help repair or set up a car!

Re: Young person looking for a team!

You might want to attend a race (there's one coming up later this year at MSR outside of Houston) as a spectator and go around and talk to teams.

World record simca driver
1992 Suzuki Cappuccino: way too small to ever fit safety equipment for Lemons...
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Awesome that you're starting young! I'm also young (27), started tracking 6 years ago, started w2w just last year, and I wish I started even younger. I would consider spending some more time at a track/HPDE's and/or autocross before jumping into "real" racing/w2w. As Kei mentioned I'd also recommend spectating a couple races and talking to teams ahead of time. Always good to meet in person and potentially find a team that you mesh well with. There's lots of teams out there who would, but I personally would be reluctant to put a driver in my car with little track experience and hasn't been very involved in the community. You could be a better driver and contributor to the team than me (which is a pretty low bar), but I always feel better putting someone in my car when they have some background. I'm more attached to my car than most teams though, so it's just something to keep in mind when trying to find a driver spot. Show up, spectate, talk to teams... this community is by far the best IMO within the track/racing car community.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata

KeiCarMike wrote:

You might want to attend a race (there's one coming up later this year at MSR outside of Houston) as a spectator and go around and talk to teams.

What day should I head down there? Any specific event?

duthehustle93 wrote:

Awesome that you're starting young! I'm also young (27), started tracking 6 years ago, started w2w just last year, and I wish I started even younger. I would consider spending some more time at a track/HPDE's and/or autocross before jumping into "real" racing/w2w. As Kei mentioned I'd also recommend spectating a couple races and talking to teams ahead of time. Always good to meet in person and potentially find a team that you mesh well with. There's lots of teams out there who would, but I personally would be reluctant to put a driver in my car with little track experience and hasn't been very involved in the community. You could be a better driver and contributor to the team than me (which is a pretty low bar), but I always feel better putting someone in my car when they have some background. I'm more attached to my car than most teams though, so it's just something to keep in mind when trying to find a driver spot. Show up, spectate, talk to teams... this community is by far the best IMO within the track/racing car community.

I've been looking into autocross and have not the slightest clue where to look to find and enter an event

TWB503 wrote:
KeiCarMike wrote:

Racing is on Saturday and Sunday so I'd say either of those days. More info about the schedule on the race page:
https://24hoursoflemons.com/race/?id=304

World record simca driver
1992 Suzuki Cappuccino: way too small to ever fit safety equipment for Lemons...
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

7 (edited by TWB503 2021-10-06 08:27 AM)

KeiCarMike wrote:
TWB503 wrote:
KeiCarMike wrote:

Racing is on Saturday and Sunday so I'd say either of those days. More info about the schedule on the race page:
https://24hoursoflemons.com/race/?id=304

Interesting. So, next race is November? I'd like to race asap, I'm joining a K1 karting championship for a race at the first Tuesday of the month every month next year, so that can help me a little.. But electric go karts aren't all that, plus I'd rather drive a car instead of a go kart that doesn't even have brake rotors.. So. anything else I can do in the mean time? Or should I just wait until November and attend that race, then wait a few months for another race in Texas?

8 (edited by duthehustle93 2021-10-05 04:10 PM)

TWB503 wrote:
duthehustle93 wrote:

I've been looking into autocross and have not the slightest clue where to look to find and enter an event

motorsports reg is a good place that has a lot of events posted that you can signup for, both AutoX and HPDE's. HPDE's are more similar to Lemons racing than AutoX is. Other than that, google around and find out your local event coordinators and follow them.

Also, re. spectating I'd suggest showing up on Friday or saturday evening. Saturday and Sunday most of the cars will be out on the track, and if they aren't out there they are either scrambling to fix it or are potentially in a bad mood haha. Worth trying to watch the race if you can, but during the race isn't the best time to try to talk to teams as they'll be a bit busy.

Also also, you might get a last minute seat if that's really what tickles your fancy and there's a team whose OK with putting in a new/young driver. Coming down to the wire there's always a few teams scrambling for drivers and/or cars as life happens. There's also a matchmaker facebook group.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata

What about starting my own team? I have some people interested in making a team with me.

10 (edited by bobnowoc 2021-10-05 09:54 PM)

The list of stuff you dont know is massive.  Please consider joining a team as a non driving member.  A crew member is only $75.  Invest $75 in visiting a race and get every question answered. See a race.  Ask every team you meet there a lot of questions.  Read the rules 3 times.  Read "how to not fail teck" 3 times.  Save up $3000 to $5000 dollars.  Then buy and build a race car.   I hope to see you in the pits real soon

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

bobnowoc wrote:

The list of stuff you dont know is massive.  Please consider joining a team as a non driving member.  A crew member is only $75.  Invest $75 in visiting a race and get every question answered. See a race.  Ask every team you meet there a lot of questions.  Read the rules 3 times.  Read "how to not fail teck" 3 times.  Save up $3000 to $5000 dollars.  Then buy and build a race car.   I hope to see you in the pits real soon

Where do i sign up?

For crew? You'll need to post up on here or facebook and find a team that's looking for/interested in taking someone in as crew that will be at that race. However, anyone can show up to spectate, but you'll have a more in depth experience as crew.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata

duthehustle93 wrote:

For crew? You'll need to post up on here or facebook and find a team that's looking for/interested in taking someone in as crew that will be at that race. However, anyone can show up to spectate, but you'll have a more in depth experience as crew.

I see. So, should I just make another thread on OkStupid?

Probably just change the title if you can, it can sometimes be harder to jump in as crew than to help fill a driver spot/fund the team. I'd probably just be open to anything... driver spot, crew, whatever... or just show up as a spectator. I guess my point is, either way, just plan on being there and hopefully you can find a team to shadow. Difficulty of finding a team isn't because the community is against it, I just think that the Lemons community isn't super great with using forums, social media, or the internet in general. Our team can barely read.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata

duthehustle93 wrote:

Probably just change the title if you can, it can sometimes be harder to jump in as crew than to help fill a driver spot/fund the team. I'd probably just be open to anything... driver spot, crew, whatever... or just show up as a spectator. I guess my point is, either way, just plan on being there and hopefully you can find a team to shadow. Difficulty of finding a team isn't because the community is against it, I just think that the Lemons community isn't super great with using forums, social media, or the internet in general. Our team can barely read.

I don't see an option to change the title

TWB503 wrote:

I don't see an option to change the title

Edit your OP - you can change the title there.

TWB503 wrote:

Figure out where you want to race at.  Look at the track's calendar page and see what events are going on.  Look up those companies that have rented the track.  I'm sure you'll find a few.  Auto cross is completely different than track racing.  Try and find companies that do on track driver instruction.  See if they'll let you bring your jetta.  Most likely you'll be put in a group that at most allows point by passing on the straightaway.  It takes many hours on the track to become proficient.

As far as Lemons goes, it's a process and you may not like a few things I'm going to tell you, but its just the reality of it:

1-Nobody is going to let you drive their car.  The amount of time and money invested into our hunks of junk is far too great to give a novice driver the opportunity to ruin the car.  My best driver ruined mine last race. Not his fault, but if it can happen to someone thousand+ hours of racing experience, it can happen to anyone. 

2-Repost your ask to join a team.  Instead of asking to be a driver, ask if you can crew for a team.  Explain how you're strong and willing to carry gas jugs to the hot pits, run out for supplies from autozone if needed, pay for your portion of food, crew fee, etc.  Explain why you're going to be an asset to the team.  Be realistic, understanding how a car works is very different from being able to repair a car.  If nobody wants to offer you a crew spot, ask if you can shadow a team.  I learned a tremendous amount just shadowing a team.

3-Be Nice, Be friendly.  This will go further than you can imagine.

4-Be patient.  You've got 50+ years ahead of you to race.  It's going to take time and money to get there.

Good luck.  If you're ever in California, you're welcome to join my team as a crew member.