Topic: Portland Int'l Raceway?

Any hope of ever having a Lemons NW at PIR?  (Or the other PIR, Pacific in WA state)

It's a very forgiving track, and supposedly very affordable to rent.

http://www.friendsofpir.com/fopir/index.php

Re: Portland Int'l Raceway?

I agree, it would be nice to have an event closer to home in Portland... however we have a few things stacked against us:

1)  Our track is run by pretentious bureaucrats, since it's owned and managed by the city
2)  Our track is EXTREMELY fast for these crap-cans.  There is really no way to slow people down through the front and back straights

Now Oregon Raceway Park.. that would be nice..  Too bad they haven't got their crap together yet.  A few years..

Unfortunately FreeRange is right, PIR is just too fast for Lemons. I think Pacific Raceways in Kent, Washington would be another interesting choice but with a long front straight you'd have to use some chicanery. Other interesting Northwest choices would be Spokane Raceway Park in Spokane or Mission Raceway Park in British Columbia. Sure hope that some Northwest track can be found having to drive 800 miles to the nearest event is difficult (especially in winter as we unfortunately found out).

Portland and Pacific Raceways are both too fast and I think Oregon Raceway Park wanted too much money especially since they have pavement down and that is about it.  It's more barren than Fernley.  Anything in Canada causes International insurance problems so that is a no go for now.  Not sure if Jay has looked into Spokane or not.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

Too fast?  If these shitboxes are already going 120, that's pretty close to the 130 (125 with Chicane) I hit on the front straight in either the APR chipped A6 2.7T or the Talon Tsi AWD (both much faster in a straight line than any Lemons car should be), and I rarely break 120 on the back, but then I'm a pussy, and in the back of my mind I'm thinking about not constantly murdering my brakes at HPDE's.

I do see the point about the ownership, but as long as the competitors don't act like asses, it won't get banned like the drifting did awhile back due to people taking it outside the racetrack...

ORP is coming along, you can already do HPDE's there.  Looks like a fun track compared to the flatness that is PIR.

Freerange, are you guys the ones that brought that Coronet/Satellite thingy with the radiator in the back seat last year?

Turboner wrote:

Freerange, are you guys the ones that brought that Coronet/Satellite thingy with the radiator in the back seat last year?

Nah, we are the ones with mounting MR2 on the flatbed trailer.  We keep waiting for them to mate...  Were hoping for an Atom

A couple of our teammates have been on ORP a couple times.  They are both driving instructors for the BMW and Porsche clubs

What's ORP like?  How fast?  Is it hugely more difficult than PIR with the camber and elevation changes?  Nice job getting a couple of ringers on the team, I'm hoping Cascade's HPDE organizer wasn't kidding when she said she wanted to do Lemons.  She's the one driving the SHO taurus in the videos on ORP's website.

Turboner wrote:

What's ORP like?  How fast?  Is it hugely more difficult than PIR with the camber and elevation changes?  Nice job getting a couple of ringers on the team, I'm hoping Cascade's HPDE organizer wasn't kidding when she said she wanted to do Lemons.  She's the one driving the SHO taurus in the videos on ORP's website.

ORP is technical, amazing asphault, very tight and not too fast.  It is a great track in my opinion. 

But, there are NO facilities.  I mean nothing.  No timing tower, no water, no town, nothing.  Just asphault in the high desert.  Still, it would make for a hell of a Lemons track if they hadn't totally screwed Jay over when he went to go look.