Topic: 1997 Chrysler Sebring Cage Dimensions/Question

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with fab companies that take dimensions you send them and send you back a cage to install yourself. We don't have the ability to build our own cage at the moment. My main concern is our measurements being slightly off and not being able to fix anything ourselves. We would also have to worry about the driver clearance rule which is why we were thinking of raising the top of the cage a bit (since it's a convertible), but not sure how to go about doing that with one of these companies.

Also, if anyone by any chance has measurements for a successful cage for a 96-2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible (jx/jxi), I would love to see if our measurements look good.

Looking at racing the Sebring at Thompson this August.

Thanks, Max

Re: 1997 Chrysler Sebring Cage Dimensions/Question

No offense, with your concerns...might just want to have Jim from Roll Cage Components install it for you.  Depending on where you are in the DC area, he could be as close as 2 hours away.

Now, back to the questions:

Jim's measurement guide is pretty comprehensive but for a fee he will go to the junk yard and make the measurements for you if he does not already have the car on file...call and ask.  On that note, since it is 2-door, pay the extra for the nascar bars.

Almost all tubes will require some trimming so even if your measurements are a bit off MOST of them can be account for there...especially with a convertible.

Making the cage taller, convertible or not, is rarely a bad idea unless you need to store the car outside needing it to be weather-tight.  Most of our cars have had a bar between the halo and main hoop near the center for extra clearance.

Now for the the things you did not ask:

There are realistically only two places to get a prebent kit that will not either fail tech or require significant rework to not fail tech...one is 2-3 hours from you in Roll Cage Components.

August is doable if you start now as new team but do consider seeking out one of the MANY teams in your area to find a mentor team.  You need to start with seat placement in a stripped interior first to make sure you can find a seating placement that works for all drivers...you can order a cag without this but once you start tacking one together you are going to be increasingly resistant to changing things.

As mentioned above, if you install yourself you will be trimming tubes, potentially notching two or so, fitting it, tacking it in place, welding spreaders to dodgy sheetmetal on all sides with no gaps then welding all tube to plate and tube to tube joints 360 degrees.  All of that takes time, some of it a moderate amount of welding skill and some more of a talent at making imperfect welding look good (spreader to sheetmetal is not fun).  Blanace that against allllll the other things you have to do verses just dropping it off at RCC.

I am missing a lot here on purpose but there are a ton of threads in the nebies section on what you need to do to get to your first race.

Thanks. Roll cage components is the place I was looking at. Good idea to see if he can measure it. We've already got everything stripped out and a spot picked for the seat.

Do you know the fee for RCC to measure it themselves? Or how much more they charge to just do everything? I've had a hard time finding a place in my area that has a good enough price to make me want to not do it myself.

Thanks.

4 (edited by OnkelUdo 2022-01-21 10:42 AM)

maxb6 wrote:

Thanks. Roll cage components is the place I was looking at. Good idea to see if he can measure it. We've already got everything stripped out and a spot picked for the seat.

Do you know the fee for RCC to measure it themselves? Or how much more they charge to just do everything? I've had a hard time finding a place in my area that has a good enough price to make me want to not do it myself.

Thanks.

No on both questions but just call Jim...email, text, smoke signals, and telepathic messages are not his specialty.  Also, if you want it done by August...may I suggest now.  He gets really, really busy by March.

We have ordered at least four cages from them and all have been excellent.  Comminucation, not so great but you just learn to contact him by phone on all promise dates with the understanding they are going to push.  He does prioritize the cages he is installing so there is that.