Topic: How far should I go to cover rusty sills for tech?

Should I plan to re-attach the side skirts, or just cover the rust holes so no one gets cut during the planned, professional-level, '15 second pit stops'?

https://i.postimg.cc/85bfpby2/20220225-123844.jpg

Re: How far should I go to cover rusty sills for tech?

My smart-assed answer, relative to the cars with which I've been involved, is "What rust?"

My sincere answer is that I doubt anyone in tech will care much about exposed rusty edges in that location, so covering it would mostly be a matter of your own preference and convenience. Particularly if you're worried about its potential for mischief while changing drivers or working under the car, you can either reattach the cover (perhaps with screws or pop-rivets if the original mounts are a pain to reuse) or just throw a few layers of heavy-duty tape over the jagged portions.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

3 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2022-02-27 05:06 PM)

Thanks - good answer for me. I have extra sheet metal...

I still have to find jack points on this. Where I've been lifting it (to change two tires) has been a little crunchy. I haven't yet looked far enough underneath to see how rusty it is for a state inspection, so this is still one of my build candidates, instead I might turn it into a dd.

I hope I don't get into 'too rusty to cage'.

Second on the tape idea.  For me that would be one of the last things I worry about when prepping the car.  We cured sharp spots on the door (discovered during tech) with gorilla tape

unless the rust somehow makes the car unsafe, I wouldn't worry about it. #$500carmyass#

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Once the car has a cage in it, a single lift point on each side,
located somewhere under the front seat butt area, should lift that
side pretty equally. Get some 1" x 2"steel tube, probably about 12" each side, 
and weld it to the pinch weld, with a few tacks to the floor.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

More good suggestions - thanks!

Bc: I understand using tape at times, like your door; but trying to keep it attached to an already "crunchy" underside is a losing battle. Like in my pic: not sure if you can see it, but I have clear plastic shipping tape over the 'pried up' edge of the sunroof to try to keep rainwater out. I just removed the ragged tarp from the winter; a new one goes on shortly. And you might be able to see a couple rust shakes on the ground (one with red paint) under the sill plate; I stomped the rest back into iron oxide after I pulled the jack from under that corner lift. And all that rust was there _before_ I broke the window to get into the "auction" car.

Mr.Y: yes, the extent of the rust is what I'm concerned about. #$350carwithauctionreceiptrunsanddrives#  ;-)

DR: Brilliant! I'll look into that some more.

Years ago, I found a roll of 'aluminum flashing'-like metal in a cardboard box in a drainage ditch; or maybe it's gutter material(?) - dunno - I picked it up. Regardless, it's thin enough to bend but thick enough to be fairly sturdy, and I know someone with a metal brake. So I can cover the rusty areas, but I think a jack would punch right through it.

Reinforcement idea is great.

How rusty is are the floors and unibody?

I don't know yet, but the two corners I lifted crumbled pretty badly. I taped the sunroof after the auction, and covered the broken window with heavy plastic, and the interior stays pretty dry; no condensation on the inside, and no mold. I'm hopeful about a dd for a while, but again, I haven't had it up long enough to look underneath. I'm guessing I'll do some sheet metal, regardless.

I just stripped the interior (except for the dash, so far) from another build candidate with standing water in the bottom, but that's a flood car; clear biohazard, but conveniently, very little rust showing, and I've got plenty of bleach and a spray bottle. That'll definitely be a driveline swap, but it's a good platform. Likely penalty laps; though not that I'd care.

I have too many candidates...

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

I don't know yet, but the two corners I lifted crumbled pretty badly. I taped the sunroof after the auction, and covered the broken window with heavy plastic, and the interior stays pretty dry; no condensation on the inside, and no mold. I'm hopeful about a dd for a while, but again, I haven't had it up long enough to look underneath. I'm guessing I'll do some sheet metal, regardless.

I just stripped the interior (except for the dash, so far) from another build candidate with standing water in the bottom, but that's a flood car; clear biohazard, but conveniently, very little rust showing, and I've got plenty of bleach and a spray bottle. That'll definitely be a driveline swap, but it's a good platform. Likely penalty laps; though not that I'd care.

I have too many candidates...

I'd consider an non-bmw power plant. If you show up with a cheaty american V8 you'd probably get a pass just because. Was it salt water or fresh? fresh isn't as big a deal....

11 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2022-03-01 04:45 PM)

Ooops, I wasn't clear:

BMW, crusty rusty underneath; _possibly_ able to be inspected, but I don't know. Runs and drives. Front end is really pretty tight, accelerates nicely and stops straight. My first experience driving a BMW, but has only been in a parking lot, not on the road. I kind like it a bit. If it's not too rusty to inspect here in PA, I'll PA title and register it, so that's my decision point. I'll just have to get at it.

Other candidate is _not_ a BMW, flood car (fresh water), now stripped of most of the interior other than the dash. Some of the _mechanical_ is rusty, but the body - not so much. No electrical function via the key in the ignition cylinder. The dash will come out and I'll set it for defrost function after reconfiguring, unless it's too dirty to salvage; that's what pick-n-pull fans and switches are for. I think ecoboost or K swap, based on previous input here. Maybe diesel, but that would require a fuel system swap also. Second build likely; first if I daily the BMW. I did save the seat mounts.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

... Maybe diesel, but that would require a fuel system swap also. Second build likely; first if I daily the BMW. I did save the seat mounts.

You don't need to change much with a diesel swap if you keep it to something mechanically injected. Basically just pull the high pressure electric fuel pump and add a cheapo carby electric fuel pump to help when the injection pump is feeling sad.

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

... add a cheapo carby electric fuel pump to help when the injection pump is feeling sad.

Like the lift pump for my extra, running, '99 GM 6.5, I'm guessing?; -)

(I mention that in case someone's looking for one).