1 (edited by alloriginaltone 2022-03-16 09:26 AM)

Topic: Physics of Racing...Why My Car Drive Like It's a Bunch of Squirrels?

I realize we are all about "how do I bolt this turbo onto my 4.0 liter inline 6 engine"...or "how will I mount this radiator to the roof so I can get more airflow".  Any talk about how to make your car perform is... well...just a lot of unnecessary jabber

But, I have to say I was quite interested in the video below discussing the factors that go into race car handing characteristics.  It's a master class and he does a nice job walking through the various aspects of a car's setup and how it factors into its handling along with explaining the physics behind it (which was sort of over my head in more than one spot).  I could care less about shaving 10/10ths off a lap....but I care a lot about grip and staying on the track.  I am not shooting for the "perfect lap"....just another decent lap will do...but I would like to do it without chewing through my tires.  Feeling confident in how the car handles on the edge of its performance is really nice too.

So go ahead and cut those springs...sell your soul for camber...and get some oversized sway bars at the junkyard...maybe this helps put it all together so it actually drives better.

Enjoy--->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYp2vvUgEqE

Re: Physics of Racing...Why My Car Drive Like It's a Bunch of Squirrels?

Cool, gonna have to watch that in pieces but looking forward to it. We’re trying to do the same as you I think, cut some time down where our laps are consistently not awful and at a pace that won’t kill our finely tuned race machine after 10 laps.

2021 Gingerman-I:  IOE (Strickland Propane)
2021 Gingerman-II:  20 seconds of footage on the wrap-up!
95 Chevy S-10

Re: Physics of Racing...Why My Car Drive Like It's a Bunch of Squirrels?

I just watched the video. Good stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)