Topic: Looks like I got one of the dumber wrecks from Sonoma on video...

This was the pile up in T5 that caused a ~20 minute full course yellow around 3pm. I feel bad for car #45, totally innocent bystander.
https://youtu.be/MH6GvNsDCUQ?t=4050

Re: Looks like I got one of the dumber wrecks from Sonoma on video...

Such a dangerous part of the course.  Thanks for sharing.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Wow, thanks for sharing. Looks like the driver at fault immediately panicked and cranked the wheel as hard as possible without checking mirrors. I hope #45's car was still usable....

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

duthehustle93 wrote:

Wow, thanks for sharing. Looks like the driver at fault immediately panicked and cranked the wheel as hard as possible without checking mirrors. I hope #45's car was still usable....

I did not see the red Subaru on Sunday.  I believe the owner also owns the Studebaker Avanti which I did not see on track Saturday, but did see on Sunday.  Maybe he swapped cars.

Agreed; seems to be a good driver, bad luck.

I looked at a lot more than just that section in an attempt to learn.

Curious about the interaction with blue #226 @ 1:12.05 in the "S" on the track; position is tough to see on my display.

Rookie here. I would not have attempted a pass there - from that approaching position and rate of closure. I think 2 seconds earlier (1/2 sec.?) it would be a different choice, and I'd go for it. Am I missing passing opportunities by excessive caution?

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Am I missing passing opportunities by excessive caution?

To me that pass feels like what Randy Pobst describes as the Vortex of Danger.

rb92673 wrote:

Am I missing passing opportunities by excessive caution?

To me that pass feels like what Randy Pobst describes as the Vortex of Danger.

My feelings also.

What about 53:23? I think that was a much better choice.

8 (edited by BigBird 2022-03-24 04:27 PM)

rb92673 wrote:
duthehustle93 wrote:

I did not see the red Subaru on Sunday.  I believe the owner also owns the Studebaker Avanti which I did not see on track Saturday, but did see on Sunday.  Maybe he swapped cars.

That is exactly what happened....Not the first time Chuck has had to run home on Saturday....Did it from Buttonwillow once....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Curious about the interaction with blue #226 @ 1:12.05 in the "S" on the track; position is tough to see on my display.

Rookie here. I would not have attempted a pass there - from that approaching position and rate of closure. I think 2 seconds earlier (1/2 sec.?) it would be a different choice, and I'd go for it. Am I missing passing opportunities by excessive caution?

Awfully aggressive for a Saturday IMO.  That blue miata is quick too. 

@jcozine is this you guys?  @ 2:25:05?  https://youtu.be/zkCGqzoctw4?t=8687

I'm a few weeks late to respond to this, but since you're a self-acknowledged rookie, I figure it can't hurt to help out:

That was an incredibly bad move at 1:12.05. Passing in the esses is an extremely bad idea in Lemons. Do not pass in that part of the track.

If you want to pass someone in this part of the track, do it in the straight after the esses.  This is a great place to pass. To do so, it's best to have a gap between you and the cars in front of you as you enter the esses. If you enter those turns with a gap in front of you, you can be closing on the cars in front of you, and then enter the straight with some speed built up.

You have to be ready to get on the brakes and abort the pass, though, because there are frequent back ups in the chicane, and because the cars in front of you may go 2 or 3 wide, in which case you won't be able to pass.

Closing thought: do not do what he did in the esses! smile